alternative to booze smuggling?

jakenashleysmom

I've got a question for y'all, is there a way one could have cocktails delivered to their stateroom? We are in a Concierge Class room on the Century, Jan 07, and really don't want to attempt bringing bottles in my suitcase if its going to be a hassle. I don't mind paying for a drink, I just don't relish the idea of walking the halls with a full glass so I can enjoy a drink on my veranda. I also don't want to order a full bottle, my cocktail preference changes day to day, hour by hour, you get the drift!

I would also be interested in a copy of the wine list offered by Century, both in the dining room, and Muranos if anyone has a copy, that would also alleviate the wine smuggling temptation!

:D

Yes, Bonnie, you can order cocktails delivered to your stateroom. There are also the mini bottles of alcohol in the small refrigerator in your cabin.

A lot of the folks who are most disappointed by the new rules are those that enjoy special vintages of wines that are not generally available on the Celebrity wine list. As I recall it, it is a pretty limited selection. Perhaps response to the new rules will eventually result in a more extensive collection of wines. We can always hope!:)

Susan

Who do we order them from, room service? Have you tried this before? I've never had a veranda stateroom before, so it was never an issue! Having cocktails in an inside stateroom doesn't really have much appeal if you know what I mean! I always wanted to get ready and get the heck out of there most times!

As for the wine, well we'd like to bring our own for that reason as well. We're not wine-snobs or anything, but our travelling companions are really into wine, and always have something fantastic in store whenever we dine with them. We were also intrigued by bringing our own and paying the corkage fee and still saving tons of cash! We are flying from Buffalo, so that probably won't happen, even if it sounds like its still ok, which it sounds like its not. Rambling.....................sorry! thanks!

Bonnie, I too don't like to carry bottles in my suitcase especially if I am traveling by plane. Celebrity offers Bon Voyage liquor packages that you order ahead of time. You will get a card in your room when you first arrive. Just let your cabin steward know that you want it and he will ask what kind of soda you want and will bring it to you asap. It is on their website. They have lots of different brands and the prices stated give you a liter bottle, 6 cans of soda of your choice and some very nice nuts. We always send them to ourselves and if you run out during your cruise, you can order another from Guest Services. Hope this helps. Pat

Rodpat's idea is the best: either order a bottlel or two prior to sailing or as soon as you get on the ship. That way you will have what you want available when you want it; even though the prices have shot up like crazy, it is still less expensive than ordering by the drink from the bar or room service. By the drink you will pay a minimum of $6.00 plus 15%; more likely you will pay closer to $7.00 and about $8.00 to $9.00 for a glass of wine. A bottle of booze will cost you $60.00 and should give you about 15 drinks, which comes to about $4.00 per drink. Just a thought.

Nita

It is our practice at our first meeting with our butler is to request that all of the Celebrity little bottles, wine, beer in our refrigerator be removed for the cruise. That allows us to put the bottles and sodas received in our bon voyage liquor packages in there, and eliminates any issues concerning charges for Celebrity's stuff.

Sounds like a good theory.......but like I said, I may never drink the same drink twice! I would have to spend at miminum $120, my dh and I don't have the same taste in hard liquor, and I don't think we'd spend nearly that much on a cocktail or two on the veranda once or twice. Theres no way I'm going on vacation and sneaking back to my room for vodka, I'll pay whatever it costs, and actually the drink prices don't seem to be much different than here in NY. As for the wines, well my concern is paying what ever they charge for a bottle that I'm not really thrilled with in the first place, know what I mean? I just thought we may find a cool local wine that we'd like to try and attempt to bring it on board. Only time will tell, I've still got a long 5 months to think about it!!!!;)

Sounds like a good theory.......but like I said, I may never drink the same drink twice! I would have to spend at miminum $120, my dh and I don't have the same taste in hard liquor, and I don't think we'd spend nearly that much on a cocktail or two on the veranda once or twice. Theres no way I'm going on vacation and sneaking back to my room for vodka, I'll pay whatever it costs, and actually the drink prices don't seem to be much different than here in NY. As for the wines, well my concern is paying what ever they charge for a bottle that I'm not really thrilled with in the first place, know what I mean? I just thought we may find a cool local wine that we'd like to try and attempt to bring it on board. Only time will tell, I've still got a long 5 months to think about it!!!!;)

If you don't mind the prices at the regular bars I don't blame you for not wanting to purchase for your cabin. We too drink different booze, but I will drink scotch and he will drink Vodka so we usually get by with one bottle on a 7 day cruise. Now, a 10 day one, we will have to do 2 bottles. And you are right about the cost of drinks in most cities compared to the ships, they are about the same, we just drink more on a cruise than at home. NMnitaty

I have never had wine taken away when reboarding the ship. You can tell them it is for consumption at the dinner table. The worst thing that might happen is that it get taken away and sent to the dining room with your name and room number on it. You can just have the wine steward bring it out for you and pay the corkage. Just to clarify things we too drink more on a cruise than we do in months at home. We always visit the martini bar before dinner and usually have wine with dinner. It is just sometimes we like to have a drink in the afternoon on our balcony. Nothing better than Grey Goose, a good book and listening to the sound of the ocean. That is why we love to cruise and love those sea days. Relax and do nothing is such a wonderful respite. Pat

I agree with you. I'm thinking of bringing some alchohol on board. I'm told if you pack in your suitcase it's ok. I plan on having a few on our balcony. =D

Have fun.

Glen and Wendy

I just returned from a cruise on Celebrity Infinity. I was able to bring aboard two "travellers" of liquor in my suitcase. Travellers are all-plastic bottles, usually 750mL.

I have been thinking about the little airplane bottles and wondered if they would produce any red flags in our luggage. I don't want to be stopped for 6 little shots. I can't imagine that they would even show up on xray.

What are your thoughts.

Sally

Who do we order them from, room service? Have you tried this before? I've never had a veranda stateroom before, so it was never an issue! Having cocktails in an inside stateroom doesn't really have much appeal if you know what I mean! I always wanted to get ready and get the heck out of there most times!

As for the wine, well we'd like to bring our own for that reason as well. We're not wine-snobs or anything, but our travelling companions are really into wine, and always have something fantastic in store whenever we dine with them. We were also intrigued by bringing our own and paying the corkage fee and still saving tons of cash! We are flying from Buffalo, so that probably won't happen, even if it sounds like its still ok, which it sounds like its not. Rambling.....................sorry! thanks!

The person on this board wants to bring several special bottles of wine. If yu pack it carefully then this can be shipped on the plane. Another option might be to send the wine via ground transport to a friend in the departure area if possible. If you come in a day early maybe a ups or fed-ex store could hold the package for you.

Don't know if this will work but just a suggestion.

I am one of those who whould like to bring wine from my personal collection onboard.

It is my understanding that the plan is for the new rules to be uniformly inforced.

I've also seen responses that several friends have gotten from Celebrity stating that guest will not even be allowed to a few bottles of wine onboard from thier own personal collections.

I don't want to smuggle, I just want to share some of my own personal wine collection with other onboard.

One thing we never have been able to figure out is, other than a bon voyage gift, is it possible to get a bottle of wine delivered to you're room??

One thing we never have been able to figure out is, other than a bon voyage gift, is it possible to get a bottle of wine delivered to you're room??

Arizona,

You sure can. Go to the Celebrity Site and look under Shop Celebrity:Bon Boyage Gifts: Wine and Champagne.

This is also where you find the Bar set ups.

j

O.k I will admit it I am a booze smuggler.

Wine don't worry if you wan to bring aboard as I have never been questioned and I take about 6 bottles a cruise on to send to the dinning room and carry it on and don't even try to sneak it throu luggage.. Just be aware it better be something special to you as the do charge a corkage fee.

As for my cabin if Celebrity did like some other cruise lines where you buy from the duty free with a reasonable markup then I would never smuggle but there mark ups are ridiculous. Also they are limited I enjoy a bailey and coffe in the evening on the balcony and sometime on sea days with breakfast:p but Bailys is not on there alcohol package.

Celebrity should recognize that they do not attrack the Carnival crowd and thus they will not lose out if passenger could go to the ship duty free and pay a "resonable" markup for cabin use. Celebrity still gets its profits both there and in the bar as Celebrity passengers aren't the type to spend the night in their rooms drinking just because it is cheaper.;)

My Wife and I have never had a problem packing/bringing alcohol in our checked luggage. It was always out in the room and was also never a problem.

On HAL, we were also able to buy alot of wine in port (Europe) and no-one ever said a thing or charged a corkage.

That being said, this smuggling is only for room use. we still buy ALOT of wine/drinks during dinner and at the bar. The convenience however of being able to drink before/after dinner on the balcony is priceless without having to buy it at a bar and bring it back.

HOWEVER, on our last X Millie cruise, alcohol bought in port, and in shop was taken at the X-ray machine, etc and delivered on the last night.

That being said, my wife has decided that next month, on the Galaxy, we will pre-order our alcohol, and tonic, and wine, and only bring in a Ceaser Mix, since it's not a usual cruise type mix. (We're Canadian)

IMO, while it's fun to keep one's expenses down and break rules. (Makes me feel like an politician)-lol. As one gets older, however, with increased income, once you read the boards here and realize you can pre-order for the room, the smuggling loses it's youthful appeal, and I've got no problem whatsoever laying out the $120.00 or $180.00 and working within the X system...

However, to each their own....

jeff n tara

X galaxy

Sept 25-06

Archived