Susan G. Komen Foundation "Walk" ..........

sail7seas

(We were delighted to have the chance to participate in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer On Deck for the Cure. Captain van der Loo led the walk and Hotel Manager Simon de Boer also put on his sneakers and got out there early and walked with the group. It was 12 laps around and Captain van der Loo demolished the rest of us....all except Mr. de Boer who kept a fast pace of his own!!!

The first time the Captain lapped me, I laughed and waved as he passed. The second time, I said, Wow.....he's in great shape. The third time....Yes, he actually lapped almost all of us THREE times.....well, I won't repeat what I said. (Of course, we all realized he didn't have a whole lot of extra time as he needed to do the walk and get back to the bridge.) It was loads of fun and, of course, such a good cause. If you have the chance to do the Walk on one of your cruises, I think you'll be glad you did.

NO Jogging on Promenade Deck. It is a Walk. You will see notice of it in the Daily Program and the second week (but not the first week), we received a separate notice/sign up sheet. We missed it the first week as we didn't read the daily program carefully. The sign up sheet caught our attention.

(It is approximate as we have clocked it a number of times with pedometers, but.......roughly four times around the deck equals one mile. The walk is 12 laps so is roughly three miles.) Not everyone finishes the whole distance and that is just fine. No one says anything negative about that. They are happy you came out, joined in and contributed. Do your best; stop when you wish.

It isn't about racing. We met up before the walk started at the lower atrium on Promenade and when we finished, they had pink lemonade for all of us.

DH wanted to do it on our Alaskan cruises, but both weeks it was at a time we had something else to do.

First week it was in the morning as we were getting ready to leave for a tour. The second week it was late in the afternoon as we were getting ready for formal night (remember we eate early and Alaskan dinner for us was at 5:30).

We participated in On Deck for the Cure on the Maasdam repositioning cruise in April and May. A fine time was had by all.

Captain Van der Loo amazed us too! He lapped us 3 times, and we were NOT dogging it. It was a brisk, raw morning out on the deck. I was wearing several shirts under my jacket along with a cute knit hat I bought in Halifax to save my cold ears.

The Captain was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. That amazed me too.

I'll tell you one thing, my strawberry topped pancakes and the hot coffee I had for breakfast after the walk sure hit the spot.

By the way, don't worry about it being a test of endurance or anything. Many participants just clapped for the walkers as they came into view or just came out on deck to walk for a few minutes.

All who signed up and contributed $15 to the cause could wear their On Deck for the Cure t-shirts and their pink bracelets proudly.

:)

Archived