space shuttle Atlantis launching this sunday

cofgren

So, pretty much anyone sailing out of Florida between 8/27 and 9/13 has a chance to experience this event??

Actually, that was the earlier launch window, but it was switched due to a potential conflict with the Russian Soyuz (sp?) which is scheduled to new astronauts and bring back others to to and from the Space Station. The Atlantis launch window is from Aug. 27- Sept. 1st. My fiance is over on the ground crew at the emergency landing strip in Spain for this launch.

Also, plan ahead for traffic jams which goes for anyone boarding a ship at Port Canaveral on any of the possible launch days. As pp's said, you won't know if a launch is scrubbed until it is too late and you're already stuck in a traffic nightmare. Arranging transportation via Carnival is an excellent idea as you know that they will hold the ship until the bus arrives. Better yet, change your flight if you can and get here the day before. It's a lovely area and you can start your vacation earlier without the stress of worrying about traffic and all.

Another thing...any weekend launch will be worse as far as traffic goes because not only will lots of tourists be here, but weekend launches draw lots of Floridian daytrippers who bring the family out for the launch.

Trying to tell us something Liv? :D

(I would love to get down to a launch before they are retired.)

Me no...I don't think I'll ever be lucky enough to be invited to a launch...however...there is a poster here that knows on of the astonauts and was invited. I actually thought this person would post here but sadly they didn't.:o

What is the earliest we can getting into the parking lot at the pier Sunday? I know it varies somewhat but we have heard that we can get on the Sensation by 10:30 A.M.??? We will be coming from the Orlando area and want to avoid any potential traffic jams.

Archived