space shuttle Atlantis launching this sunday

cofgren

Hello all,The space shuttle Atlantis is expected to launch at 4:30 pm on sunday august 27.We will be on the Sensation and totally excited about the possibility of seeing a shuttle launch.My question is ,How much does a space shuttle launch mess up traffic between Orlando International Airport and Port Canaveral.We arrive at 1 pm and the ship sails at 4.

Hello all,The space shuttle Atlantis is expected to launch at 4:30 pm on sunday august 27.We will be on the Sensation and totally excited about the possibility of seeing a shuttle launch.My question is ,How much does a space shuttle launch mess up traffic between Orlando International Airport and Port Canaveral.We arrive at 1 pm and the ship sails at 4.

Last shuttle that went off, it took over 2 hours to get from the airport to Port Canaveral (I work at the airport putting people on the shuttle to the port). If there is any way to get an earlier flight, I would !!!!

Yep--we're in Central Florida too and can vouch that traffic comes to a standstill during launch days on the Beachline heading to the coast. Maybe the shipp will sail later due to problems that the buses and cars are going to have in getting to the port? Try calling Carnival to see what the plan will be.

Good luck! If you make it to the ship, then you will have a GREAT view of the shuttle when it launched.

CeleBrat

Traffic will be bad, since the tourists will flock to the Cape.

(the locals [my Parents] know that the shuttles never launch on time and don't plan their days around it, other than avoiding the tourists)

But the odds of the shuttle launching on Sunday are slim.

(that is why the launch window for this launch is from Sunday at 4:30PM until September 13th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This discussion came up in another thread and I believe somebody posted that there has been exactly one shuttle launch on time since the inception of the shuttle program.

I'd say my trip on the Sensation on September 10th has as good, if not better chance of seeing the shuttle launch.

Best of luck though.

Definitely will be a great show for whoever is on board the day it does launch.

Bill

Hubby and I were about 30 miles away when the Hubble (sp?) went up. I was amazed at how close it looked. It was completely by chance that we saw it. We did not even realize there was going to be a launch that day.

How far down the coast can you see the shuttle launch? In other words, if I'm in Miami sailing out on my cruise, will I see anything?

If it's a clear day you may see a vertical contrail with a glowing point at the top. That's what we can see here in Sarasota, on the west coast.

When we sailed on the Glory (7-1-06) there was a scheduled launch for that day - the roads were at a standstill by 2 to 3 PM (we were on the ship before noon, and thus no problem). The ship did not sail until close to 6 PM due to many people stuck in traffic (being bussed from MCO).

Alas... no launch (it flew on July 4th...)

.. up until yesterday there was a scheduled launch (satellite) from the cape for our 8/31/06 sailing, but that has now been moved to mid September... :(

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

Good Luck!

Tom

How far down the coast can you see the shuttle launch? In other words, if I'm in Miami sailing out on my cruise, will I see anything?

I live over in Tampa and we saw the one from July 4th...

It was amazing...

Have a great time on your cruise...

Beth

If you can't arrive any earlier, I would definately recommend you use the Carnival Transfer. At least you know the ship will wait for those, where if you are in an independent shuttle...they will not. Even if the launch does not happen, the traffic will be a nightmare...because no one knows it "ain't happenin" until the last minute.

Missarudy,

Good luck and let us know whether you change your flight!

We hope to see it from EpCot center on Sunday, or on board Fantasy on Monday, if it goes off a day late.

The forecast doesn't look great, but maybe it'll be clear this weekend for the launch.

Have a great cruise!

Suzy

So, pretty much anyone sailing out of Florida between 8/27 and 9/13 has a chance to experience this event?? We are on the Elation out of Miami on 9/03. And also, if it is a go on the launch, there are no hurricanes on the horizon, double benefits :D

The extended range forecast according to Underground Weather.com is that there aren't any hurricanes projected over the next two weeks...of course that can change, but if you read Dr. Masters blog the models aren't predicting anything over two weeks. We all look safe for the 3rd!!!! I would love to see the thing launch!

Archived