Independent Tour To Kenai Fjords

GMoney

I have an B2B AK Cruisetour planned for May / June 2007 on HAL and X, and we will hit all of the "good" interior places except for Kenai Fjords. We end in Anchorage, and I would like to do an independent excursion to see it.

Can you tell me:

+ How possible is this?

+ Should I book thru an independent company, or can I just rent a car and drive down and arrange things as I go?

+ How many days / nights would I need to see the area?

Thanks!

Kenai Fjords is seen via boat tour out of Seward. For the best I suggest the Northwestern Fjords trips. You can easily arrange this depending on your sailing schedule- if I understand you- you are flying into Anchorage, doing a southbound trip FIRST, then sailing back Northbound?? You need an overnight in Seward unless you have a car and need to get back to Anchorage. Or can be done with an overnight prior to your sailing- doing the tour the day of your sailing. http://www.kenaifjords.com is my usual vender. Have also gone with Major Marine. If you decide on another tour- you need at LEAST 6 hours on the water. Don't consider any shorter.

Yes, if there is any way you can, do it! We went on the 6 hour dinner tour with Kenai Fjords tours, and it was terrific. It was one of the best excursions of our almost 2 week trip. We did it first with 2 nights in Seward on our own before our 4 night land tour and one week cruise.

We saw eagles, orcas (lots of them), stellar sea lions, puffins and murre (look like little penguins), and a calving glacier (Ailuk? - forgive the spelling massacre). It was terrific. The captain was Chris. The co-captain was also Chris. The boat name I cannot recall.

When they found the orcas on the way out, not just on the way in, doing something they rarely spot called beach rubbing, they made sure to give us time to watch even though it made the cruise run late. No one was the least bit sorry.

We did the Northwestern Fjords Tour with an overnight at Fox Island. It was a great way to spend a couple of days before our cruise. We had started our land trip in Anchorage, so we took the train to Seward. The tour company picked us up and the train depot, then we took the tour boat from Seward to Fox Island, spent the night (meals included). The next morning, the boat picked us up for the day-long Northwestern Fjords tour. It was great!

Thank you all for your posts; they are very helpful and I appreciate it! I will start planning...

BQ: Just to clarify: I am arriving in Vancouver on RCI Serenade after sailing for 28 days from San Juan. We are then flying to Anchorage and doing HAL cruisetour #20 (14 days) on Volendam (tour first, SB sailing obviously). We are then boarding X Summit and doing cruisetour 13 I believed (12 days, NB sailing). We end up in Whittier.

I know it all sounds a bit crazy, and some of the ports repeat, but we are a bit particular about the ships we want to sail, and I do not mind repeating some of the ports b/c there's so much to do, and because we are going so early in the season (mid May), that maybe more places will be active and accessible the second time around.

Now that I know we can squeeze in Kenai, my only regret is that we will not see Glacier Bay...

We did the Northwestern Fjords Tour with an overnight at Fox Island. It was a great way to spend a couple of days before our cruise. We had started our land trip in Anchorage, so we took the train to Seward. The tour company picked us up and the train depot, then we took the tour boat from Seward to Fox Island, spent the night (meals included). The next morning, the boat picked us up for the day-long Northwestern Fjords tour. It was great!

Cathy - Could you please tell me more about Fox Island? I found a Fox Island Escape here http://www.kenaifjords.com/1082.cfm. How did you book? This tour houses you at Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge. Is this where you stayed? Sorry for all the questions...

Thank you all for your posts; they are very helpful and I appreciate it! I will start planning...

BQ: Just to clarify: I am arriving in Vancouver on RCI Serenade after sailing for 28 days from San Juan. We are then flying to Anchorage and doing HAL cruisetour #20 (14 days) on Volendam (tour first, SB sailing obviously). We are then boarding X Summit and doing cruisetour 13 I believed (12 days, NB sailing). We end up in Whittier.

I know it all sounds a bit crazy, and some of the ports repeat, but we are a bit particular about the ships we want to sail, and I do not mind repeating some of the ports b/c there's so much to do, and because we are going so early in the season (mid May), that maybe more places will be active and accessible the second time around.

Now that I know we can squeeze in Kenai, my only regret is that we will not see Glacier Bay...

Wow...that's SOME trip!!! Unless things have changed for 2007, the Summit goes to Seward, not Whittier.

We did the Major Marine tour (eight hours) and could not have been happier. They had a ranger onboard that narrated the whole tour and the staff could not have been friendlier. They also begged you to take seconds and thirds of the prime rib and salmon buffet.

If there is a better tour, I'd sure love to go on it. It was a sensational day on the water.

We did the Major Marine tour (eight hours) and could not have been happier. They had a ranger onboard that narrated the whole tour and the staff could not have been friendlier. They also begged you to take seconds and thirds of the prime rib and salmon buffet.

If there is a better tour, I'd sure love to go on it. It was a sensational day on the water.

Good to know; I'll check them too. Thanks!

Wow...that's SOME trip!!! Unless things have changed for 2007, the Summit goes to Seward, not Whittier.

We're both right - the cruise ends in Seward, but the cruisetour ends in Anchorage, so that's why I'm thinking I need to get back to Seward to see Kenai Fjords.

GMoney-

We did the one night package, you can see the details here. They also have a 2-night package, which would have been fine with me. It was very peaceful there. We spent the day hiking and just relaxing. The dinner was very special, followed by a campfire. We made our reservations online, after asking them a lot of questions. If you want to see pics of our stay there, you can see them here. We decided to do this because it was more than just a boat trip, and was a chance to stay on a somewhat remote island.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned!

I have an B2B AK Cruisetour planned for May / June 2007 on HAL and X, and we will hit all of the "good" interior places except for Kenai Fjords. We end in Anchorage, and I would like to do an independent excursion to see it.

Can you tell me:

+ How possible is this?

+ Should I book thru an independent company, or can I just rent a car and drive down and arrange things as I go?

+ How many days / nights would I need to see the area?

Thanks!

We just got back from 3 weeks in Alaska, our last week we rented a car and toured the Kenai area and Anchorage independantly. We waited until we got to Seward, a fantastic town btw. We went to all the tour companies in the small boat harbor, and went with kenaifjords tours (BQs rec) and were very glad we did because the captian was brilliant and knowledgable about everything. We saw so much, make sure you take the cruise to northwestern glacier, its 91/2 hours but well worth the time. I like locally run operations better than bigger less localized ones. I took a MajorMarine whale watch in Juneau and hated it so I knew better then to book another tour with them.

Make sure you eat at Yolys, a new hip restaurant in downtown Seward. with fantastic food and ambience. I'd definately visit the Kenai area and forget about Anchorage, its pretty but nothing special compared to the Kenai Peninsula, I wouldn't miss that.

The Native Heritage Museum is very nice in Anchorage, Thats the only thing I would do there.

Amelia

We're both right - the cruise ends in Seward, but the cruisetour ends in Anchorage, so that's why I'm thinking I need to get back to Seward to see Kenai Fjords.

Whittier isn't Anchorage. It's about an hour and a quarter away, and is the port on Prince William Sound that Carnival and Princess use. I guess if you're on a cruisetour followed by a cruise, and then a cruise followed by a cruisetour - there IS no free time in Seward for a Kenai Fjords tour!

Hi Patrick,

I am a proud Friend of Henry too! :D (such a fun thread)

We spent two nights at Fox Island this past June and it was fabulous. CSloan's pix brought back wonderful memories. In addition to hiking, we did kayaking and of course, enjoyed long walks on the pebbled beach (absolutely filled with small rocks of all sizes, shapes and textures). The gourmet meals advertised are spectacular, well presented and beautiful. We asked for a "healthier" version and chef Steven was more than happy to do so. (polenta and veggies vs. pork chop, granola vs. bacon/eggs/french toast (oh that bacon was tempting; even the thick toast...) Okay, getting carried away here. LOL!

The staff is young and friendly and nothing was a problem for them. Really great.

The NW Glacier tour was also excellent. We had a well informed captain, saw all kinds of wildlife, got very close to the glacier. Here's how much I enjoyed the trip - got seasick, complete w/throwing up for the first time in my life, sat outside to get wind on my face so I wouldn't faint....and still have good memories because of the understanding staff.

So, YES, do the tour. And have a wonderful time!

Aloha,

Noreen

I agree, Seward is an outstanding port and the Northwestern Fjord tour is to die for. Kenai Fjords tours with the website listed above has never been anything but helpful. And Fox Island, if you can coordinate that in your too, it is a once in a lifetime.

Whittier isn't Anchorage. It's about an hour and a quarter away, and is the port on Prince William Sound that Carnival and Princess use. I guess if you're on a cruisetour followed by a cruise, and then a cruise followed by a cruisetour - there IS no free time in Seward for a Kenai Fjords tour!

Hi,

We came off the boat in Whittier, and commenced on a 5 day land tour with princess (not my favorite) then went on our own for a week (much better). On our own we rented a car and drove from Fairbanks to Anchorage, then on to Seward. Since we stayed 4 nights in Seward, we had plenty of time to plan for the 10 hour cruise to northwestern glacier.

Amelia

Hi,

We came off the boat in Whittier, and commenced on a 5 day land tour with princess (not my favorite) then went on our own for a week (much better). On our own we rented a car and drove from Fairbanks to Anchorage, then on to Seward. Since we stayed 4 nights in Seward, we had plenty of time to plan for the 10 hour cruise to northwestern glacier.

Amelia

Had GMoney been going on b2b cruises WITHOUT cruisetours on both, it would've been fairly easy to go on a Kenai Fjords cruise after one cruise or before the other. But going directly from cruisetour to SB cruise, and then NB cruise to cruisetour leaves no time for activities in Seward - unless they are added at the tail end of the trip.

Perhaps GMoney's NB cruisetour includes a boat ride from Valdez to Whittier. If not, I don't know why he would be going to Whittier with Celebrity.

I am arriving in Vancouver on RCI Serenade after sailing for 28 days from San Juan. We are then flying to Anchorage and doing HAL cruisetour #20 (14 days) on Volendam (tour first, SB sailing obviously). We are then boarding X Summit and doing cruisetour 13 I believed (12 days, NB sailing). We end up in Whittier.

Volendam Cruisetour #20: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070526:T7A20:AVS00720&dest=010020

Celebrity Summit Cruisetour #13: http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=00003DcurFG6S3UURAgXbdgR45H:1051tg0lk?packageCode=SM12A713&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results

Just to clarify - HAL cruisetour #20 begins in Fairbanks, so are you flying there from Vancouver? The Summit's cruisetour does end in Anchorage, not Whittier.

It looks like both the cruises and the land tours repeat basically the same itinerary. Have you considered a different cruisetour itinerary for HAL that goes elsewhere? If I were going to do b2b cruisetours, I would consider HAL's 3/4-day cruise + land tour that goes into the Yukon for some different scenery. For instance, you could do cruisetour #2 SB on the Zaandam (sister ship to the Volendam): http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070526:T7A02:AGB00402&dest=010020

It is 2 days shorter than the cruisetour you have now, but you would see Glacier Bay, and you'd have a few days to spend in Vancouver between cruises. The advantage of doing a different HAL cruisetour is that you'd see more of Alaska and the Yukon - and you'd see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier! It's your vacation and you can certainly do what you want. But if it were my trip, I'd want more variety. (Actually, if it were my trip, I'd do a northbound cruisetour out of Vancouver followed by a southbound cruisetour - but that's just my opinion.) You have a LOT of time before final payment is due to tinker!

Wel MIss Nancy, you are more on top of my cruise than I am! :D Sorry for my errors; you would think I would know where I was going. I swear I'm not a first time cruiser!

I really appreciate your opinions; I have been back and forth about a different itinerary too, as I really would like to work in Glacier Bay. The problem is that we are not willing to sail certain ships, and Zaandam is one of them. I know that's silly and that AK is about the itinerary and not the ships, but them's the facts. :)

So given that, I have tried multiple combinations between Princess, RCI, X and HAL and can't get things to align. But you're right; there's lots of time til final payment is due and maybe things will change. Thanks for your advice!

Wel MIss Nancy, you are more on top of my cruise than I am! :D Sorry for my errors; you would think I would know where I was going. I swear I'm not a first time cruiser!

I really appreciate your opinions; I have been back and forth about a different itinerary too, as I really would like to work in Glacier Bay. The problem is that we are not willing to sail certain ships, and Zaandam is one of them. I know that's silly and that AK is about the itinerary and not the ships, but them's the facts. :)

So given that, I have tried multiple combinations between Princess, RCI, X and HAL and can't get things to align. But you're right; there's lots of time til final payment is due and maybe things will change. Thanks for your advice!

Hmmmm...Zaandam is out but Volendam is ok? They're basically the same ship! Are any of the Vista class ships acceptable, because the Zuiderdam does the same itinerary as the Zaandam for a 3/4-day cruise plus a land tour in the Yukon.

Four of the one-way Princess cruises go to College Fjord and Glacier Bay. The fifth ship, Pacific Princess, goes to Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, and College Fjord on the northbound, and College Fjord and Glacier Bay on the southbound. Princess has several cruisetours that go to the Copper River area, and includes a catamaran crossing between Whittier and Valdez.

Have you considered flying to Anchorage after the 28-day cruise ends and doing one longer land tour, then taking just one SB cruise back to Vancouver? With as much time as you have available, you could see so much more than what you have booked now: Alyeska/Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks twice...plus a night in Talkeetna with Celebrity. Several people at CC have used Alaska Tour and Travel and been very happy with their land packages: http://www.alaskatravel.com/tours/land-only-tour.html You could even rent a car and do your own thing!!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention a company that I've never seen mentioned here - John Hall's Alaska: http://www.kissalaska.com. They do land tours in combination with HAL cruises, and in 2007 will also include some Princess cruises. Their 2007 cruisestours aren't on their web site yet, but I have their 2007 brochure - which is a must have! They have one FANTASTIC 15-day land tour that starts in Anchorage and goes to Cordova, Valdez, Kennicott, the Arctic Circle, Fairbanks, Denali, and Talkeetna, then ends in Anchorage for those doing land only, or to Seward for those on the southbound Volendam! Unfortunately, that tour doesn't begin until June 16th, so it's too late for you - but it makes you realize there's much more to see than the corridor between Anchorage and Fairbanks that most cruisetours do. That company's brochure is solely responsible for my decision to drive the "loop" from Anchorage to Fairbanks to Glennallen and back to Anchorage! :D

The problem is that we are not willing to sail certain ships, and Zaandam is one of them. I know that's silly and that AK is about the itinerary and not the ships, but them's the facts.

I've been on both the Zaandam and the Volendam, and there's not much physical difference between them. One thing I have noticed is that the whole tenor of a ship can change depending on the captain. I've been on the same ship with one captain and the whole ship is happy and friendly and with another captain and everyone is grumpy. When I talked to the crew, it was apparent that they were unhappy with that particular regime.

Archived