Would you pay more to have less people on your ship?

JAMESCC

Everyone complains about the new ships being too crowded and cabins getting smaller and smaller but how many would pay maybe an extra $50 or $100 person so the ships can have less passengers? I myself would. I am wondering if anyone else would?

I vote for smaller ships with less people also. Sure, I'd pay whatever it was!

I still love the smaller of the "big" ships. The ones 10 -12 years old...even though they still hold a coupla thousand people.

I think those big ships are pretty but it is getting harder and harder to enjoy the "cruise experience" what with rock walls, ice skating rinks, scads of people, long embarkation and debark times...

That's why I book a balcony cabin......it is my quiet little corner of the world. When I am out there, I am the only one on board!!!!:p

I cannot imagine sailing on this mega vessel the Phoenix that is supposed to hold 5000 people.... Crikeys! The town I lived in for 40 years here in southern NJ only had 4200 people. I don't want a floating city....I want a cruise ship.

I cruise on the Pacific Princess a lot and thus most times pay a premium on cruise fare because it is a smaller ship.:( ...but I prefer a smaller ship and looking forward to the new Royal Princess joining the fleet next April 2007. On the flip side I am currently on the Grand Princess and it has been almost two years since I have been on a Grand Class ship and we are quite impressed with the service and atmosphere thus far.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

That is already happening with the Coral and Island Princess ships. There are fewer pax for the size of that ship compared with any other Princess ship. If you look at prices the per diems tend to be more expensive than the other Princess ships. I think Princess needs more ships of that size and passenger ratio.

Well I prefer the giant ships but not the crowded side. I love the giant ships but just because they are giant doesn't mean they can't be overfilled. I love the Crown Princess but to me its just over filled by about 400 passengers. There just was too mant people even for that giant ship. I would have gladly paid $150 to $200 more to have 400 less passengers.

It's not so much the number of people. as having enough crew to service those on board properly. My biggest complaint with Caribbean Princess, and probably Crown, is that crew numbers are the same as on the older Grand-class ships. That just means more work, and less time to take care of people, and reduction of services. Remember when you could get real room service, even order off the dining room menu?

I'd pay more.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!

I agree about the Caribbean Princess (haven't been on the Crown) - not enough staff for the number of people. The staff was trying but it was hard for them to keep up, especially in the dining room. Also, more public space (especially on deck) would be good.

Happy sailing.

Joanie

Actually, the ship looses it energy level. If you like a big ship with fewer PAX, do some math. Look at the max capaciy and the size of the ship.

The newer Grand class ships have a new deck, for example. Keep away from those. It won't cost you extra.

The reality is that your scenerio is not going to happen so look for a realistic solution.

I would love to be on a smaller ship. I miss the old Island Princess and Royal Princess as well as the old Crown and I love the Tahitian Princess. We did a transatlantic in November last year on the Grand and the ship was only about 2/3 full. It was wonderful. After about 450 got off in Fort Lauderdale the 2 days to Galveston seemed like a ghost ship with only 1400 on board. There were no children either because it was during school and over Thanksgiving. Even the staff seemed less hurried especially in the dining room. And the cruise was not expensive. The rates had gone down because they want to fill the ship. I loved it and am looking forward to another one in the future.:)

I definitely try to cruise on smaller ships whenever possible. The Regal is one of my favorites and I'm booked on the "new" Royal Princess. I also booked on HAL Prinsendam next year rather than cruise on the Grand.

Give me a smaller ship any day! Not only are there fewer passengers but they can also go to more interesting and exotic ports.

It seems that all the cruise lines are trying to one up each other with bigger and better ships. There has to be a happy medium. The last three cruises I was on were the Sapphire (116T), the Constellation (I beleive 91T) and The Disney Wonder (83T). Of those three- my favorite was the Constellation.

I think once you go over the 100T mark- you lose the intimacy of an Ocean Liner. the 83T Disney Wonder didn't have the drama of the larger ships. But my least favorite was the Sapphire- although it was large- the ship seemed too compartmentalized (not enough open space). The atrium was lovely but the ship just was lacking and I found that you would run into deadends, heavy doors and it was a confusing ship. Nver felt like there was a hub- center to the ship.

Reference paying more - most current Princess cruisers either don't know or have forgotten that when the late great Royal Princess was introduced, its rates were higher than the rest of the fleet.

Rationale was that she had all outside cabins and introduced large numbers of balconies on a mass market ship. That, plus she was considered handicapped accessible, although that line of advertising was quickly dropped, as the cabins did not meet ADA guidelines, which were approved just after Royal Princess debuted. (She did meet European standards for handicapped travellers.)

The extra-fare for Royal Princess was not popular, and her prices were brought into line with the rest of the fleet.

Everyone complains about the new ships being too crowded and cabins getting smaller and smaller but how many would pay maybe an extra $50 or $100 person so the ships can have less passengers? I myself would. I am wondering if anyone else would?

No question about it. In this instance, amaller is better. Love the Coral and the Galaxy.:)

Archived