Would you pay more to have less people on your ship?

JAMESCC

There are still lots of smaller ships that charge (from a little to much more) that carry fewer pax. You pay your money and you make your choice. :confused: :)

Yep. I'm hardly a veteran, but I have to pick the ship I can afford for the itinerary I want. Helps that I'm an offseason kind of gal.

So, No, I wouldn't pay more to sail with less people. Until I hit the lottery and can charter private trips where I get to pick the passengers ;)

How would I have to pay to have the right to scan and select the passengers I want to sail with? :D

I hear what you say.

We like ships that go to interesting ports and that allow us to relax in supreme comfort. For any one cruise, size is only one of many factors we consider in making the booking decision.

We can't afford to choose the people we cruise with. We can however influence the type of interaction we have with those people.

So when we want to meet,mix and mingle with lots of new people, we might choose a smaller ship (Tahitian,Pacific) that allows (for us) more intimacy. The faces are more recognizable when there aren't 3000+ of them.

OTOH, when we want to cruise in anonymity, we will tend toward a Grand class ship where we can just blend into the masses in the public areas, and excape[sic] to our balcony stateroom for privacy and true relaxation.

To be expected, the midsize ships allow a little of each and we would encourage Princess to build a few more like Coral/Island.

In the end though...they're all good!!! :D

If you're looking for smaller ships with fewer passengers per square foot of space, look to Holland America. Average passenger capacity is around 1,250 and the largest in their fleet is 1,850. Ships are almost all less than 8 years old.

They do a great job and the prices are very reasonable.

I do not work for any cruise line or travel agent...and I'm booked on the Star Princess in January, but I often cruise Holland America because of the smaller, more spacious ships, reasonable prices, and great service.

HAL is also owned by Carnival.

Hope this helps.

I thought I wiould never cruise on anything bigger than 1000 pax.

I would pay more for a smaller ship.

Don

There are plenty of smaller ships with a higher crew/passenger ratio to choose from. It's just a matter of choice and what one considers a smaller ship and the rates however can be obscenely higher...

Here's the problem: if you price the cruise higher so that only those that can afford the higher price are on the cruise, none of the fun people will be cruising. The ship will be full of stuffed shirts in tuxes and tails.

No thanks.

:D

See I did not want to turn this into class warfare or big ship VS litle ship. What I mean is these ships now are holding more people in the same size ships of the past. Look at Princess's feet. The Crown and golden princess are the same size yet the crown hold 500 more people. If you could pay just a little more say $100 extra and only have 2,600 passemgers as apposed to 3,100 would you? I know i would. Its just that even these big ships can and do get crowded. The rooms are starting to get too small. The Golden and Crown princess are virtual the same 952 feet long and 113,000 gross tons but the Golden holds 2,600 and the Crown hold 3,100. I love the giant ships and will only sail in the giant ships but they are even getting too packed for thier size.

Wow! The space ratio works out to be only 25.5. This would be one crowded ship and I bet the cabins are snug.

Never, never in a thousand years would I go on this....nor on RCCL's behemoth Phoenix w/5000 people.... Not even if they paid me!!

A couple of years ago I paid a healthy price to go on Star Princess. A couple of days later the fare went down to $399- needless to say the ship was PACKED with a lot of people you normally wouldn't find on a nicer line. I will never go on a ship that size again & have passed up a lot of cruises because of size of ship. My DH won't fly so I don't have a lot of choices.

I think we would. So far, our favorite are the smaller Celebrity ships. We are now thinking about booking on Oceana . Smaller ship, much better food, entertainment a wash, AND ABSOLUTELY NO FORMAL wear required onboard. Just waiting for the right price to pop up.

haven't sailed Oceana but have sailed with Renaissance a couple of times. Oceana is using those small and wonderful ships. I've heard nothing but good about them. Several of our neighbors have sailed them more than once.

They have picked up where REN has left off. I'm waiting for the chance to book them too. Our travel backlog is pretty full ... and I also have an awful lot of Marriott points. I may book 2, 10 day back to backs with points if I can get it to work. Problem is time. Wev'e been casually driving the past few years to most of our cruises. This adds another week or more and that's a long time to be away from business.

You're right, with oceana country club casual does it. If you want you can leave the jacket at home.

Archived