Mercury/Alaska questions...

DaisyGirl55

We recently booked a cruise on the Mercury for next year in late June going to Alaska. My DH and I were previously booked on the now cancelled 9/13 Infinity cruise to Alaska, so we looked at dates and itineraries and chose the Mercury.

My question is this: As the Mercury is one of the older ships, am I correct in thinking no pods on this ship? I would really hate to plan another trip to Alaska and have something go wrong again.

Also, as we are cruising in July instead of September, I need to begin my research again. I know the weather is much milder, but what about daylight hours. Are they longer and how does this compare with what we are used to as far as cruising and ports? I am guessing I will not have to pack as many layering clothes, but is this correct?

Guess I am looking for cruisers who have sailed in the summer for some tips....on everything!

Thanks everyone - and happy cruising!

Hello,

The Mercury is a very nice ship (sailed on this ship twice in the last two years).

Have a jacket and scarf and gloves if you want to go out on deck when the ship visits the glaciers. But you do not need to take a lot of warm clothes as Alaska gets surprisingly warm in July. You can expect some rain but not enough to adversely impact your cruise.

Suggest renting cars when you visit Alaskan ports such as Juneau and Skagway. You can see more of these very interesting ports at much less cost than ship excursions and Alaska/Canada has excellent roads.

You have chosen well because Alaska really is a wonderful place to visit and especially by cruise ship.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

My question is this: As the Mercury is one of the older ships, am I correct in thinking no pods on this ship? I would really hate to plan another trip to Alaska and have something go wrong again.

Also, as we are cruising in July instead of September, I need to begin my research again. I know the weather is much milder, but what about daylight hours. Are they longer and how does this compare with what we are used to as far as cruising and ports? I am guessing I will not have to pack as many layering clothes, but is this correct?

Guess I am looking for cruisers who have sailed in the summer for some tips....on everything!

Thanks everyone - and happy cruising!

:) Good morning,

1/ no pods problem on that class of ships. Conventionnal propulsion systems.

2/ Yes, daylight hours are quite a bit longer late june than mid-September.You're sailing around the '' longest days of the year'' stretch. You'll have approx 21-22 hours of daylights;; great if you want to capture as much as possible of that astounding scenery;; a bit problematic if your require at least a minimum amount of sleep....overall, it's just eeriely fantastic, imo...

3/layering is still the best way to prepare your clothing needs. Temperature-wise, it is not any warmer than September, with August being the peak; but the high sun you have in June, (on a sunny day....!!!) will bear down on you more. I'd take about the same thing you were planning for this year.

We've done a Vancouver-Seward onboard SUMMIT june 18th 2004....the weather was SUPERB all the way, and the vista++long hours made it 100% spectacular; I'd do it again in a hearth beat.

You've made a good choice ;; happy sailings

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Thanks guys! I hadn't really thought about the extended daylight hours. We have a CC cabin, but hopefully the drapes will block out some of the sunlight so we can catch some sleep.

I will definitely bring something warm to wear while cruising the glaciers. I had heard that the weather tends to be a little clearer with not as much rainfall as in September, so I am happy about that.

Seems the former Mercury pax are very happy about this ship - makes me even more excited now!

Be prepared for rain or sun, and temps anywhere from the 40s (at the glacier only) into the 50s and even up to the 80s. We took this cruise in July and had cool, rainy days for most of the trip (with bright sunshine at the glacier and a beautiful, sunny but cool day in Skagway), but friends who took it two weeks before we did said they had NO rain, lots of sun, and temps in the high 70s.

A lightweight waterproof jacket is perfect if you do get rain; DH and I bought new ones just before the trip and they really made a difference, particularly when walking around Juneau in the pouring rain. (Lots of people were trying to use umbrellas, which really got in the way on the crowded sidewalks!)

Take a few clothespins/binder clips/chip bag clips to close the drapes tightly if you're concerned about having trouble sleeping through the sunlight.

Have a great trip!

Julie

Archived