A PVP at Carnival gave all of my information to someone over the phone!!!!!!!!!!!

crazycruzer68

I had not discussed my vacation with this person because we had did vacations together in the past and I wasn't going down that road again. Lucky me, she decides to surprise us and join us on the cruise. She called Carnival and found a PVP who gave her all and I do mean all, price that we paid and cabin number to this person. She is checking on airfare and work schedules to see if they are able to go.

I called and spoke with a supervisor about this and because I don't know who she spoke with nothing can be done. Whatever could have been done wouldn't have helped me the damage was already done. Now this much longed for and much needed vacation could be ruined, thanks Carnival!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel for you, and I agree with Donna, you should tell her not to come for your own sanity! But I'm sure you didn't post for personal advice, so "that's all I've got to say about that". :p :)

I had a similiar situation involving my FIL. He pestered a PVP about our booking, and by the time he was done had all our info, booking number, price, cabin cat., etc.. I was ticked but DH just shrugged it off so I never called Carnival to complain. I think it is an invasion of privacy (if we have any left :rolleyes: ). They have no idea if the caller is legit or how this info will be used.

I hope you can convince your friend to stay away! Vacations are for getting away from it all and relaxing and it sounds like you would have rotten time if she tags along. Good luck!

While I am an avid Carnival fan, I feel that a PVP will give you whatever information you would like to know if you plan on booking with them. They must get some kind of compensation for the number of bookings.

As for your friend, I believe that I would tell them that this is a cruise planned just for you and your hubby.

It is DH's friend of nearly 20 years, I love him to death but we can't stand her, nothing to do but suck it up, I wouldn't hurt him for the world.

I just wish that Carnival had some way to see who had looked at my booking, I am just "screwed" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

IMO, this is more than your friend joining your cruise, this is a safety and security issue.

Imagine if you have a stalker or someone with a restraining order like an ex

This breach of your personal and private information (and it is your private info) is a safety and security issue.

I would call back up, demand a supervisor again and/or anyone above that person if necessary and get them to understand the issue, your safety and security.

If I was a woman, and learned how easy it is for someone to get that kind of info, I would be scared and furious.

Think about this, a woman has a stalker who learns she is planning a cruise, the stalker calls Carnival, gets the detailed info, he books a ticket and on the cruise they are both literally trapped together at sea or worse yet in a 3rd world foreign country.

If what you said is true, that is really creepy

I think there is more and less to this than the OP knows. Since the other person involved is a friend of her husband, it is possible that the husbands were talking and that is how the bulk of the info got out.

Clearly the person who called knew the ship and sailing date before calling. The only other things mentioned are the price (who cares) and the cabin. Just as likely that the info came out of an innocent conversation between the two men as it is something sinister.

I just spoke with my T.A. who I have used for years, about this and she informed me that she would loose her job if she gave out that kind of info. With all the new privacy laws in effect, you can't give out any info about anyone unless that person signed a release. I would try again and speak to someone higher up in management. Maybe it's the PVP that she booked with? Good Luck!

While I am an avid Carnival fan, I feel that a PVP will give you whatever information you would like to know if you plan on booking with them. They must get some kind of compensation for the number of bookings.

As for your friend, I believe that I would tell them that this is a cruise planned just for you and your hubby.

This is from a story I read back in January.

Carnival's so-called "personal vacation planners" typically make about

150 calls a day, pitching cruises and helping vacationers pick out

ships and destinations. Unlike some other call center operators, which

do contract work and may have high turnover rates, Carnival is looking

for people seeking a career, Becker said.

Amy Kwasnicki of Port St. Lucie, who lost her medical billing business

to hurricane damage, took a job with Carnival in Fort Pierce to try

and match the more than $80,000 she made annually on her own.

"If you can produce, you're going to make the money," said the 38-year-

old mother of three.

The center's base salary is $16,500, plus about $50 for every cruise

sold. Becker's top seller took home $99,000 last year.

"If they don't make $40,000, I fire them," he said.

Bill

IMO, this is more than your friend joining your cruise, this is a safety and security issue.

Imagine if you have a stalker or someone with a restraining order like an ex

I agree, I actually had a stalker and this makes me sick to my stomach. I would call Carnival as well and ask to speak with a supervisor. Im sure with all the privacy laws this must be illegal.

Wow - I tried to get the info on my trip (we were joining my sister as a surprise) and could not get anything from our PVP. We had to get my sisters booking number info (from her not from Carnival) before I could do anything to "link" our reservations. I was really frustrated because I wanted it to be a surprise and could not do it w/o her booking number.

I guess it depends on the PVP or something.

Was booked with my mother (for over a year) and CCL would not give me any information until I had the required password (no problem - a quick phone call away). Nevermind that I could give all information they had already been provided, without that password they could not verify that I was entitled to any information.

Same here, Anytime I talk with anyone at Carnival they ask for my booking nymber and my password ID. The only people that know this information are my Husband and myself. Even the wonderful PVP that I talk with every week and we certainly know each other 's voices by now, she will still verify. That makes me know she is doing her job well. If your PVP doesn't ask these questions when you book your next cruise, then you need to bring it up with them and let them know you want this little added bit of security.

I sure hope everthing works out for your cruise and that you have a good time. Have you thought of the option of changing your cruise and not letting anyone know? I know it sounds like a hassle, but at least you and your husband would be on a cruise to yourself and the others would not know until you were gone!:D Now is that just a little evil or what?

I would love to change my cruise but we are within the penalty period and also have airfare booked.

There's no way my DH gave the information away in a conversation, he was not wanting her to go as bad as I was. Besides that he doesn't even know what cabin number we have. The supervisor that I spoke with at Carnival assured me that this is something that should never had happened, but what can be done now?

Maybe you can call back and tell them that you wish to change your cruise at THEIR expenser since htey messed up, i think maybe if you insist enough they will do for you, that way you can tell the otehr couple, sorry had to change but have fun on your cruise anyway!!!, maybe just change ships if another is sailing out of that sme port that day,..now that would be funny!!..lol, you could be like sorry the pvp gave yu the worng info..heheh (yeah im evil..lol)

Can you not just tell them this was a special, private cruise? My DH and I went on a cruise this year and made it clear to everyone, it was just for the 2 of us. We were really looking forward to time alone. Next year, we are booked with friends, which is great. But, there are times when you don't want them around. Just be honest, and maybe plan a weekend getaway with them somewhere.

Gosh, I feel for you, as we have friends exactly like you. We love him, but she just drives us nuts. We've traveled with them twice, and never will again. I would be furious if CCL did that to us.

I am a business owner, and the privacy laws (for us they are laws, not rules) are unreal, but understandable. We have a whole section of training regarding them. I am surprised that CCL does not have mandatory privacy rules.

I use a TA, but in the future, if I ever do use a PVP, I will ask up front about the privacy rules.

We have often discussed cruising with this other couple, because they are always saying "let's take a cruise together." If we ever did, (won't), I would make it clear that we are going to be doing our thing, not sticking with them the whole time.

Again, I really feel for you. Maybe it will turn out better than you expect.

Shay

Gosh, I feel for you, as we have friends exactly like you. We love him, but she just drives us nuts. We've traveled with them twice, and never will again. I would be furious if CCL did that to us.

I am a business owner, and the privacy laws (for us they are laws, not rules) are unreal, but understandable. We have a whole section of training regarding them. I am surprised that CCL does not have mandatory privacy rules.

Oh, they DO have several regulations they fall under. They are a public company, they are heavily bound by regulatory compliance. This type of thing is taken very seriously. I'd be pretty ticked myself. Not sure there is anything that can be done now, but I would certainly send a letter, and I'm guessing this PVP may likely lose his/her job.

Well, you have 2 choices:

1. Be held hostage the rest of your life.

2. Bite the bullet and tell your husband's friend that this trip was planned for just the 2 of you.

When she called with her "plans" to join you, you should have said "Darling, sorry but we don't want company on this trip." If they still have nothing in place, then I would call her and just tell her..."you know, I should have said something when you first called, but we really don't want any company in this trip. We just want this time to ourselves. I don't want to share hubby with anyone this time. I know you understand."

We finally had to put our foot down with my BIL (again, it is his wife that is nuts). But we finally did and the world did not come to an end.

On the surface, everything was fine. Now what was said behind our backs is another story, but I figured it wasn't any worse than what my husband and BIL had said behind her back all these years. Problem solved.

Carnival wont do a thing if they mess up.... my pvp messed up gave my info out, gave us wrong infoi about a room and i had to pay to get everything corrected, after my cruises ive paid for i dont think i will be back on.... the ships are great but the pvp's are all about making money here latley not making things correct, at there cost even though they are wrong.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The supervisor that I spoke with at Carnival assured me that this is something that should never had happened, but what can be done now?

What can be done now? Try to get some sort of satisfaction from the supervisor. If you can't then go to the supervisors supervisor. Not suggesting a "free cruise" but perhaps switch the booking to a week earlier or later (if that is even possible?) If all else fails....write a letter to UB.

Is there even a remote chance that you posted info about your trip here on Cruise Critic and this person saw it? Since you've travelled before, perhaps she surfs the board too and saw something here....

Or, perhaps, even though it would be illegal, the PVP she talked to saw where on a past cruise she had sailed with you and somehow your name popped up as having a booked cruise?

I'd call this lady and just tell her that this is a cruise you've booked as alone time.....or if you bought cruise insurance with the cancel for any reason clause, cancel and rebook! Most airlines will give you a credit too.

OK, I don't think I would let it ruin your trip. Here is what I would do. Talk to DH first. Ask him if he mentioned any of your info to his friend. If he did not then ask him to talk with his friend, man to man. Ask him to explain that while you might meet up occasionally, in fact you booked this trip as an alone, together time and weren't really anticipating a lot of together time with others. Guys have their own language and I'm sure he can communicate this in a way that neither hurts his friend's feelings nor fails to get the message across. This will prevent you from even having to address the woman. Further, should you find that you've been with these folks for too long on any one occasion on the ship then you can politely "excuse" yourselves as wanting some alone time. If DH has spoken to his friend, they'll know.

Now, if DH did not in fact mention anything to the friend about your info, then I would call Carnival and pretend to be "a friend of your's" and see how much info you can get out of your PVP. As others have suggested, without passwords, other security info and etc., it should not be very easy to get that info. If they blurt it right out then right then ask to speak to a supervisor and straighten it out. I've found that it is very difficult to do those things after the fact in a he said/she said fashion.

Hope this helps.

Archived