Waterproof wallet

jetstorm

I've read posts about people using a waterproof wallet to keep money and important papers dry while snorkling, etc. My question is where do you find such things?

If yu don't use a waterproof wallet, where do you store your belongings while you're in the water while on a shore excursion?

I bought a plastic case - mine's blue, but they came in all colors, including clear - at D*ck's Sporting Goods - it's a big box sporting store. It has a strap, to hang it around your neck, and a water-seal to keep water out. It was right near where they stored the canoes. Try any big box (or bigger) sporting goods store - around here it's D*ck's, MCSports, and Dunham's (I think).

I'm female, so I tucked it into my top while snorkling. I also tied 2 knots in it - one at the end (because it had a quickrelease closure, which was not tight), and one partway down, after it was around my neck - this kept it around my neck when it floated out of my top.

They had a skinny one, which I have - this was big enough for 3 or 4 cards (credit, license, cruisecard, health card), plus a few bills. They also had a slightly thicker one, which would be big enough for some of the smallest digital cameras (but not quite big enough for DH's camera:( ).

DH just put wallet in shorts, which he left on the boat while snorkling. He had emptied it of everything but license, one credit card, cruise card, and money, I think. He also had a button-pocket in swimsuit, I think.

Largin beat me to it! (I must have been composing at the time - I'm verbose.) This one looks exactly like mine-down to the color.

I just checked though - mine is "Witz" brand - http://www.witzprod.com (I know my DH found it on the website, cause he was checking size to see if his camera would fit.)

We carry along one tote bag that we put all the loose things in and tuck under a seat, just so they don't get blown or kicked around - or just forgotten. We take very few valuables with us, and what we do go in the watertight wallet, which buttons into DHs trunks.

You can usually find the hard plastic cases that will hold some money and a credit card on board the ships on itineraries that go to islands or beach communities. I purchased an Aquapac for our Sydney to SF in April and it worked great. They come in all sizes. Check it out. http://www.waterproofcases.net/sizes.html

I bought the splash caddy from Magellans. I used it while swimming and snorkeling. I was nervous at first because I wanted to carry my camera. It worked great. I carried my camera and wallet and neither one had a spot of water. You just have to be sure you seal it completely. I highly recommend it.

I just bought a waterproof case at CVS for $1.99. It's bright orange, but looks like the other ones in the photos posted here. Can't beat the price. Walmart,Target and Walgreen's probably have something comparable too. While I was there I bought a waterproof camera to bring along on snorkle trips and can leave the good digital camera in the cabin!

I just bought a waterproof case at CVS for $1.99. It's bright orange, but looks like the other ones in the photos posted here. Can't beat the price. Walmart,Target and Walgreen's probably have something comparable too. While I was there I bought a waterproof camera to bring along on snorkle trips and can leave the good digital camera in the cabin!

Where in CVS did you find the waterproof case and how much was the waterproof camera if you don't me asking?

Folks, remember not everyone lives in a beach community or Florida. If you do then yes many drugstores, grocery stores etc carry them. If you don't then it may be better until you get to the cruise ship to buy them. Most cruise lines have them on their ships. If you mail order/internet buy them, then the total cost including shipping, may be more than what you could buy them for on-board

Jetstorm,

I found the waterproof case in the "seasonal" section of CVS where they have beach and pool toys. I do live in Florida, but I would think that all stores would have seasonal sections. You may get stuff on sale now because it is the end of summer, but don't wait to buy or else they will be moving Halloween stuff in!

The camera was $9.95 for 27 exposures and 800 speed by Kodak. They had another brand I never heard of for $13.99 and it had built in flash with 27 exposure - not sure of film speed though. Fugi makes some inexpensive ones too, but CVS did not have any waterproof ones left. Fugi cameras were on sale at 50% off. Happy hunting!

Folks, remember not everyone lives in a beach community or Florida. If you do then yes many drugstores, grocery stores etc carry them. If you don't then it may be better until you get to the cruise ship to buy them. Most cruise lines have them on their ships. If you mail order/internet buy them, then the total cost including shipping, may be more than what you could buy them for on-board

I live in the center of Michigan. About as far from the beach as one can get. (Well, I suppose there are more central states, but still...) I found mine in the water-sports section of a big-box sports store. Still, as someone else said, it is getting towards the end of the season. I'd check now. The cruise ship cost could be prohibitive as well.

Husband's swimming trunks have zippers. We look all season until we find several and keep these for years to come. He just trust those with velco on the pockets. Those water proof wallets or hard plastic cases fit nicely into the zippered pockets. We only take bare necessities when we go on water excursions and have not had a problem so far.

You can also purchase one from the cruise critic store for $5.95

We each both one. Neither worked. Wound up putting things into a Zip-Loc Bag, and then into it. A lot of trouble. They went the way that most things that don't work do........trash.

We also were looking for a waterproof wallet and found mens swim trunks made by "Magellan" that has one attached. It's cool, it attaches to an inside pocket and then it secures with velcro, so it's double attched. We tested the pouch by putting a dollar bill inside and submercing in water for about an hour or so. No leaks what so ever, dry it was! The pouch is only big enough for several credit cards, drivers license and a few bills, etc.

We got the swim trunks at Academy Sports and Outdoors and only paid $12.99. What a deal! We haven't used them yet but I feel sure they will do just fine. Let me know if you need additional info!

Archived