Difference Between 1A and IS

elmojessi

Hello,

I'm considering booking an inside guarantee for our honeymoon in January. I just spoke with a travel agent who mentioned that on some lines, an inside guarantee could have us ending up with bunk beds (which I believe are category 1A rooms).

I tried to do a little research in the forums on whether or not these bunk bed rooms are included in the IS category or not. I can't quite seem to come to any conclusions based on previous posts.

When I look at booking this particular cruise on the Triumph, there is not an option to select a 1A room. Does this mean that there are no 1A's on this ship, or that they're already booked, or does it mean something else?

Basically what I want to know is if there is a chance of us ending up with bunk beds on our honeymoon if I book us into an IS category, inside stateroom? The IS description on Carnival doesn't say anything specific about the bed layout.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'm considering booking an inside guarantee for our honeymoon in January. I just spoke with a travel agent who mentioned that on some lines, an inside guarantee could have us ending up with bunk beds (which I believe are category 1A rooms).

I tried to do a little research in the forums on whether or not these bunk bed rooms are included in the IS category or not. I can't quite seem to come to any conclusions based on previous posts.

When I look at booking this particular cruise on the Triumph, there is not an option to select a 1A room. Does this mean that there are no 1A's on this ship, or that they're already booked, or does it mean something else?

Basically what I want to know is if there is a chance of us ending up with bunk beds on our honeymoon if I book us into an IS category, inside stateroom? The IS description on Carnival doesn't say anything specific about the bed layout.

Thanks in advance!

I just looked up the room categories for Triumph online, and the place I looked showed the 1a as a bunkbed, and the inside as 2 twins that can be made into a king size.

Your on your Honeymoon. Go for a Cat 12. You're only going to do this once!:) :)

Or at least a balcony - believe me, it will be worth it! Popping open a bottle of bubbly and sitting on the balcony with the one you love... priceless! ;)

Easy for us to say they should spend more money on their honeymoon by upgrading. We don't have to pay for it. For all we know they had to scrimp and save even to go for the category IS, or they decided they'd rather cut back on the cruise so they can spend more for the wedding itself. I think it's best to assume they have looked at the prices themselves and have made the decision on how much they can or want to spend, and we really shouldn't question it.

Now to answer the question asked...

At the Carnival site when I click on IS, it brings up a page that says "Interior Stateroom - Includes stateroom categories 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F and 4G"

Notice it does not say 1A in that description. Therefore, I don't believe they can give you a 1A, since that would be a downgrade from the minimum 4A category that is listed in the description. However, I've seen this question asked here before, and no one seems to have a definitive answer for it. But I've never seen anyone say they booked a IS and got a 1A either, and the description says 4A and up, so I don't think it really happens. If anyone know differently, by all means correct me.

1a's are almost always bunkbeds. I think a 1S is a guaranteed inside with no bunks. But u had better make sure of that before u spend your money. Only the Valor and Liberty have 2 1A's with 2 twins that can make a king bed, 2462 and 2465. No other ship has that feature.

Elmojessi. I had this same question when we booked our trip, and despite my asking about it, and researching all over these boards, I could not get a definitive answer. Some said it was not possible but mostly it came down to most people who booked an IS gty got assigned something in the 4 category, but nobody could point to a policy saying IS means 4A or better. Anecdotal experience says you won't because there are so few 1A's. I was afraid to take a chance. We ended up booking a 4A gty, and were assigned a 5A French door.

On the Carnival booking website, they separate the the 1A from the other categories, it is in a section by itself. The IS GTY is listed with all the other cat4 rooms, so it IMPLIES that the IS is a 4A or better room. (I do see the 1A cabins listed when I look, perhaps they are sold out for your date)

Elmojessi. I had this same question when we booked our trip, and despite my asking about it, and researching all over these boards, I could not get a definitive answer. Some said it was not possible but mostly it came down to most people who booked an IS gty got assigned something in the 4 category, but nobody could point to a policy saying IS means 4A or better. Anecdotal experience says you won't because there are so few 1A's. I did not want to take a chance. We ended up booking a 4A gty, and were assigned a 5A French door.

I agree - booking the 4A guarantee will insure that you get nothing below that. When booking be sure to have them note on your booking that it is your honeymoon. You can also place a note that you request a room that allows the 2 lowers to convert to a king. Congratulations!!

Archived