Misook Dress/Jacket

katree

I'm going on my first Century Cruise (4 nights Pacific NW). I have a huge collection of Misook and I think it will be OK for most nights, but would the jacket on the left below (with a long dress instead of the pants) be OK for formal night?

Misook.jpg.d0dbe87a47231d66900405cd9e41abb2.jpg

TIA

Katie

Thanks! I love the Misook for work (I call it my Geranimals for grown-ups), but I didn't know if it was too simple for Formal Night. Now I won't worry any longer. I'll just count down the days...

Jane 110/Candice: I can't believe that you haven't heard of Misook. Nordstrom carries a rather extensive line (also expensive:eek: , but well-made). There are probably a lot of other retailers as well, but I have seen it only at Nordie's. So today wasn't a total loss: you learned something new fashion-wise.

Jane, here is a link for info for the company:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/6005193/0~2376776~2374325~2378643~6005193

I don't know a whole lot about them, but they have beautiful knit pieces, you can kind of compare them to St. John.

I can't even afford the sale pieces, maybe when I don't have to buy my kids clothes anymore!

Jane, here is a link for info for the company:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/6005193/0~2376776~2374325~2378643~6005193

I don't know a whole lot about them, but they have beautiful knit pieces, you can kind of compare them to St. John.

I can't even afford the sale pieces, maybe when I don't have to buy my kids clothes anymore!

It is an investment:eek: , but the pieces never wear out, and the blacks and navies are ALWAYS an exact color match from year-to-year. That lets me build a basic work wardrobe, and then indulge in a few accent pieces (shells, jackets, etc.) each year in different colors for a new look. I've had great luck buying pieces on e-bay, and even found a few shells on sale at Nordstrom in the last year for under $40 (final clearance--it never makes it to the Nordstrom Rack stores).

Katie

OKay, did a little digging, as it's not like me to not have heard of a brand. I went to their website and they are headquartered here in NYC.

However, Misook has flown under my radar because it's not sold anywhere in NYC, I've never met anyone from the company in a business situation and in all honesty, if I ever did see an a Nordstrom I was visiting, I wouldn't stop to look at is because it's too conservative for my personal tastes.

But thanks ladies. Good to learn something new everyday. Being knits, I'm sure it packs well.

Jane, Misook (or Exclusively Misook as the label is acutally known) has pricey knitwear. They use acrylic to knit their garments. They make a basic wardrobe with skirts of differing lengths and styles, shells, cardigans and jackets. Early on they would introduce new color way each season. Everything goes back to black. The knit has an interesting texture. It is totally washable and dryable and must never be dry cleaned! It folds or rolls and never wrinkles. Not a cheap line, by any means, but very classic and a little edgy sometimes with exeriments with different fabrics.

When I really wanted Misook, the plus sizes were too small for me. It made me miserable, especially since I had been told by one Nordstrom (in Las Vegas) that the garments could be blocked to fit while another Nordstrom (Baltimore) said absolutely not. I think this a true drawback of an expensive line of clothing. Even shortening a sleeve is risky. Some knits are unknitted and shortened and then reknitted. But, the other knitwear is very easily customizable by brilliant blocking. You can totally change the shape of a dress or skirt with an excellent seamstress.

I know you ladies don't like it when I talk about my knit of preference, St. John, but because of my wonderful Valentina at Nordstrom, all of my clothes fit like there made just for me, because, pretty much, they are.

I am now thinking about getting a couple of pieces now! We are going on the QM2 and I might get a few things.

--Judy

Judy, between the two lines, St. John would be my choice. I like their styling better. Misook pieces sometime remind me of human paper doll costumes. Almost everything has white lines on it. It is a lovely knit, though and I have seen some beautiful pieces!

Judy, between the two lines, St. John would be my choice. I like their styling better. Misook pieces sometime remind me of human paper doll costumes. Almost everything has white lines on it. It is a lovely knit, though and I have seen some beautiful pieces!

I hesitate to talk about St John on these boards because people have "talked about me" like I was some sort of fraud. My closet is full of St John because I treated myself very well after my 85 pound weight loss. I wear it pretty much exclusively because I feel great in it. The value of classic pieces, be they St John or Misook, is key. When I was so overweight I couldn't find great pieces to wear because plus size quality clothing is pretty non-existent.

There is a woman running for County Executive someplace here in Maryland. She wears nothing but Misook in her commercials. They look a little bit 2-dimensional on tv.

--Judy

Hi Katie,:) did you mean MERCURY? I know she sails to the NW...Century

is doing Europe and the Caribbean depending on the time of year.

I was on Mercury in May (2nd time I have sailed her). I hope

you have a great cruise and I think your outfit will be fine:)

I will be going on Celebrity again in December..#10:) if you

have any questions please let me know and I will try and help.

I hesitate to talk about St John on these boards because people have "talked about me" like I was some sort of fraud. My closet is full of St John because I treated myself very well after my 85 pound weight loss.

HUH? I'll take your word, but I've never seen that, nor do I understand why anyone would "talk about you" because you like to wear St. John. A fraud of what kind? I just don't understand.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Jane

Well, I won't "talk" about your for wearing St. John! If I could, I would, too. That my job is so casual and my budget will not allow it are the only two things stopping me :) .

I happen to think that buying high quality clothes can be more economical in the long run, depending on your career. For me, it would not work, but if I were in an office and in the public eye, it would make total sense to invest in high quality pieces.

My former neighbor travelled locally for training purposes. She had very few pieces of clothes, but every piece was very high end. Different people saw her every day, they were none the wiser. She probably spent no more than I do on an annual clothing budget. I wear jeans, casual shirts, sneakers (or other closed toed shoes) shorts etc.... But, my clothes are ruined quickly (stained) and they would be no matter how much I spent on them.

Talk about you, no way, I'm jealous (in a good way!).

Congratulations to you on your weight loss and feel good about your nice wardrobe!

HUH? I'll take your word, but I've never seen that, nor do I understand why anyone would "talk about you" because you like to wear St. John. A fraud of what kind? I just don't understand.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Jane

Jane, I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was a thread that got pulled where I felt that someone was referring to me in a less than complimentary light. I am thick-skinned enough to ignore it, but I did stop talking about my clothing. I thought whoever it was thought I was making things up.

The weight loss, now that's something I love to talk about! Four years ago I was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance which is insurance-speak for pre-diabetes. I got good and scared since my mom had died two years earlier from diabetic complications (kidney failure) at the age of 68. My family medical history is awful and being so overweight was like walking around in a ticking time bomb. I went to the diabetes center and met with a dietician twice. Lost the weight over the course of a year by eating the right kind of food at the proper intervals throughout the day. I have managed to keep most of it off. I did not do exercise or surgery.

--Judy

Judy, I did the Alaska/PNW run on Mercury last October (Century does not cruise that area currently) and your outifts will be perfect.

I had never of that designer but love the photo you posted.

I treated myself to one piece of St. John two years ago, an animal print halter top cocktail dress (75% off and in my size, how could I walk away?) and I would own a closet full if I could. Timeless, elegant and chic in every way.

Enjoy your cruise!

My turn! I have been wanting a Misook for many years, and finally, today snagged one at Dillards. There was an amazing sale (not like Kim's $15 dress) but for someone who never finds anything on sale, I scored big time (for me). It's a gorgeous turq Misook that was originally $450 and by the time it was on sale plus today's extra 30% off, I paid $78.75. I also managed to grab 2 Eileen Fisher jackets. This was not a bad day!!!!:D

Esther

My turn! I have been wanting a Misook for many years, and finally, today snagged one at Dillards. There was an amazing sale (not like Kim's $15 dress) but for someone who never finds anything on sale, I scored big time (for me). It's a gorgeous turq Misook that was originally $450 and by the time it was on sale plus today's extra 30% off, I paid $78.75. I also managed to grab 2 Eileen Fisher jackets. This was not a bad day!!!!:D

Esther

Esther, which Dillards? What a deal! Enjoy:)

Hi, I was at Dillards today and happened to see Misook;)

Ironic too, after reading this thread:)

I got 2 outfits for a total of 47.00:D everything was

30% off the sale prices! Anyone heard of NAPA VALLEY

Petites? They have some cute stuff! I got a new skirt and top

and a pair of slacks and blouse to match. Living in Florida,

these 2 particular outfits will work at least 6-7 months out

of the year for me!!!

Judy, sorry someone was so rude to you:(, makes things

quite sad for those of us who enjoy this board. And congrats

on your weight loss!

Hi Esther and Kim!

I went to the diabetes center and met with a dietician twice. Lost the weight over the course of a year by eating the right kind of food at the proper intervals throughout the day. I have managed to keep most of it off. I did not do exercise or surgery.

--Judy

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!

I love to hear stories like this..I wish more people understood the power of simple food choice changes and the power it unleashes!

That is quite a feat,and I applaud you.

Jane, I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was a thread that got pulled where I felt that someone was referring to me in a less than complimentary light. I am thick-skinned enough to ignore it, but I did stop talking about my clothing. I thought whoever it was thought I was making things up.

That is a shame.

I would NEVER let somone intimidate me enough to stop talking sbout something I enjoyed simply because it made THEM feel inadequate, which sounds like the case here.;)

Regardless... talk away!

I looked at the ebay site, some of the stuff is great, some of it not the best deal, so be careful when buying from there. Make sure you can't get for the same or lower priced at Nordstrom.com or one of their stores before purchasing. The difference in price may be slight, but shipping charges are higher with ebay and returns not quite as good.

Archived