Children in bedrooms

Highly Sociable

We have booked two rooms together on our forthcoming TA trip. One is booked in mine and my daughters name (aged 14) and the other in my husband and son (aged 10).

What will actually happen is that my two children will share.

We have been advised that this may be frowned upon, but given that we are next-door to each other, is it really a problem?

We have booked two rooms together on our forthcoming TA trip. One is booked in mine and my daughters name (aged 14) and the other in my husband and son (aged 10).

We have been advised that this may be frowned upon, but given that we are next-door to each other, is it really a problem?

NO PROBLEM AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it really a problem?

I would think that it depends on how well behaved your kids are and on how good you are at controlling your kids.

I would doubt that Cunard's stewards would cause you a problem. But, if there are complaints about that cabin, Cunard might intercede.

Would think it would be an advantage for you to have an interconnecting, though they can be curse to others. If you look at the deck plans you can tell which are by looking for two facing arrows in the adjoining bulkhead.

David.

Dear Sociable,

There are very good reasons why Cunard will not allow sole use of a cabin by underage passengers. If there was no problem then they would have made your original cabin allocation as two adults in one cabin and two children in another. Cunard has to take into account the safety issues.

If you wish to switch cabins then the most sensible thing to do is ask your TA to arrange it or when you are on board go to the Purser for his permission. Please do not ask the cabin steward. It puts him on the spot and and will most likely land him in deep kak if anyone finds out.

Stephen

Dear Sociable,

There are very good reasons why Cunard will not allow sole use of a cabin by underage passengers. If there was no problem then they would have made your original cabin allocation as two adults in one cabin and two children in another. Cunard has to take into account the safety issues.

If you wish to switch cabins then the most sensible thing to do is ask your TA to arrange it or when you are on board go to the Purser for his permission. Please do not ask the cabin steward. It puts him on the spot and and will most likely land him in deep kak if anyone finds out.

Stephen

I agree.

The steward may be under instructions to report two children sharing a room. It is not fair to put him on the spot like this.

Do it the proper way.

You might also like to consider the merits of telling your children to suggest the situation is other than it is.

2 Moose is spot on the money.

Worry Not. Not an eyebrow will be raised. Just do it.

We always do! We just book a twin bed room and a queen room - we find interconnecting useful - the formality of the booking form shows my wife and daughter in one and myself and son in another and this is followed through at check with the room/ID cards.

The first time we did this we did check with agent and Cunard beforehand - basically they didn't want to know!

Our last TA kids were 11 and 14. They know the score and so does everyone else. Heck what are they going to do - send in the "whose sleeping with who Police" - now that conjours up an interesting scenario and picture!

Really - its no problem - enjoy and relax - and dont give it another thought

Ian

2 Moose is spot on the money.

Worry Not. Not an eyebrow will be raised. Just do it.

We always do! We just book a twin bed room and a queen room - we find interconnecting useful - the formality of the booking form shows my wife and daughter in one and myself and son in another and this is followed through at check with the room/ID cards.

The first time we did this we did check with agent and Cunard beforehand - basically they didn't want to know!

Our last TA kids were 11 and 14. They know the score and so does everyone else. Heck what are they going to do - send in the "whose sleeping with who Police" - now that conjours up an interesting scenario and picture!

Really - its no problem - enjoy and relax - and dont give it another thought

Ian

\EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ALWAYS TOLD MY KIDS THAT WE STARTED WITH 4 KIDS AND THE FIRST 2 DIDNT BEHAVE AND NOW WE ARE DOWN TO THE LAST 2 KIDS AND WELL YOU GET THE IDEA , RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback from someone who's done it:)

Yes. Feedback with BAD advice. If it is OK to do it then what is the problem of checking with the Purser's Office first?

Like I said. There is a good reason why Cunard does not want children in a cabin on their own. It is for their safety and protection. SAFETY & PROTECTION

What happens when someone says, "My children are aged five and ten but they are well behaved and always obey the rules."

In this discussion everyone is willing to flout the rules. On another thread everyone is jumping up and down because an Emergency Exit sign is not up to code.

Ask the Purser and if it is OK then fine. If it isn't then you have to accept the possibility that you will be told revert to the allocated cabins.

Stephen

If it is OK to do it then what is the problem of checking with the Purser's Office first?

Are you seriously suggesting the purser's office will know? I know that my experience of pursers is based on the QE2, there they wouldn't be able to answer, I doubt the QM2 is that much different.

Like I said. There is a good reason why Cunard does not want children in a cabin on their own. It is for their safety and protection. SAFETY & PROTECTION

Have Cunard ever voiced an opinion in this? I don't doubt that you have good reasons for saying to check with Cunard however that you are saying to check implies that you don't have a ruling from them.

What happens when someone says, "My children are aged five and ten but they are well behaved and always obey the rules."

I'm afraid that it has to be up to the parents. If they feel that their kids won't cause problems, and then they do, it is the parents who will have the responsibility.

On another thread everyone is jumping up and down because an Emergency Exit sign is not up to code.

That's not how I read the other thread - I think that a lot of people are saying that it's only one sign.

Are you seriously suggesting the purser's office will know? I know that my experience of pursers is based on the QE2, there they wouldn't be able to answer, I doubt the QM2 is that much different.

So what is the problem with asking then? Afraid someone will just say NO?

Have Cunard ever voiced an opinion in this? I don't doubt that you have good reasons for saying to check with Cunard however that you are saying to check implies that you don't have a ruling from them.

Not an opinion but a 'rule'. That is why the company will not ticket two minors in the same cabin without an adult!

I'm afraid that it has to be up to the parents. If they feel that their kids won't cause problems, and then they do, it is the parents who will have the responsibility.

And what happens when someone gains entry to your children's cabin during the night? Easy to do so too. Simply knock on the door and say 'Room Service'. What then? Blame Cunard?

Stephen

RRRR

Firstly let me start off by saying that I am not fond of kids! One of the big things about Cunard is their childcare - children are not seen and not heard:) It does not really bother me what happens to kids once on-board as long as they're kept well out of my way! (I wouldn't want them to be hurt or whatever, I just don't want to see or hear them).

So what is the problem with asking then?

The problem with asking is that they would not know. I think they would dither and never actually come up with an answer. Would I ask? I'm not sure - I generally like to play by the rules, however knowing Cunard I think that I'd ask advice here and see what was said. Once this thread has run its course ask me and then I might be able to say what I'd do.

That is why the company will not ticket two minors in the same cabin without an adult!

I didn't know that they wouldn't - although not being in a position where I'd be taking kids on-board It isn't something I need to know. I've just looked through the UK booking conditions and all I can find is the bit that says "All guests, who at the time of departure, will be under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a guest aged 21 or over who will at all times during the holiday be responsible for their welfare, conduct and behaviour." I don't think that says no to two kids sharing a room. I think it is more likely the company booking system can't ticket it so Cunard book 1 adult and one child.

Blame Cunard?[/QUOTE]

No - blame the person who entered the cabin.

. I've just looked through the UK booking conditions and all I can find is the bit that says "All guests, who at the time of departure, will be under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a guest aged 21 or over who will at all times during the holiday be responsible for their welfare, conduct and behaviour."
[

You are correct. We are bound by the booking conditions and you can be certain that if Cunard did not wish children to occupy a room without an adult they would state this in the conditions. And as "minors" are classed as under 17s. we could have dad having to sleep with his 6ft.2 son while mum shared with her mature 16 year old daughter.

I'm all for sticking to the rules, but a little common sense does no harm at times. And if the rule doesn't exist!!

David.

I'm all for sticking to the rules, but a little common sense does no harm at times. And if the rule doesn't exist!!

David.

Very true! You know for a fact that there are some youngsters you wouldn't want on the ship at all never mind have a cabin on their own. And for sure, some adults fit in the same category.

I asked a captain over at HAL what their policy is on the matter and he has asked for confirmation from Head Office. Will let you know. I'm sure Cunard policy will be the same or similar.

Stephen

This is indeed a tricky situation.

Take the case of a 5 & 10 year old.

If we are to take 'safety first' and the rule of no children in cabins on their own, then surely that means that when the kids go to bed at (say) 8pm, that one parent has to go to bed, too, in one room with the 5 year old and the other parent has to go to bed in the other with the 10 year old. That's not a viable prospect.

But would you risk allowing your 5 year old and 10 year old to be left alone in a cabin each? What's to stop them opening the door and going for a wander? You'd then be tempted to get two cabins with interconnecting doors and then somehow locking the cabin door from the inside and the connecting door from the outside in order to trap your kid(s)!!!!

Then how would you trap them if you had one kid in each cabin?

I'm afraid I'm not sure (as a parent) what option I would feel happy with.

There's baby sitters available - but if we are to take 'the rules' as gospel - you'd have to employ two baby sitters - to mind each child in each cabin.

There's a vacancy for technology here..... A key fob which bleeps when your cabin door is opened. (You could set it to 'arm/disarm' so that you don't get a bleep during the day when the steward does your room).

I think that the rules as specified are to protect Cunard from the consequences of legal action in the event that anything like the above 'children going for a wander' or 'a person entered my child's cabin when s/he answered a knock and ......'.

So, in essence, it boils down to parents have to be *responsible* for their children. If you can't guarantee that your child is going to stay in the cabin - then you have to mind them. Likewise, if you can't be sure that your child isn't going to get the crayons out and redecorate.......!!!!

However, it seems to me that Cunard (and other lines?) 'disuade' children by charging full adult fare for all children over 2 years old..... and when you're booking a Q2 suite for them..... that makes you think twice & thrice about taking them!!!

Combined with the worry these days (with children under 14) about whether they're safe, frankly, a luxury cruise/voyage might just not be the ideal thing for them and maybe it's time for couples to send them to stay with relatives for a week or two.

maybe it's time for couples to send them to stay with relatives for a week or two.

I would have loved to have given the responsibility of looking after my children to someone else, but as I have no immediate family and as I beleive in giving my children experiences to remember, I'm afraid that they are on this trip with us.

I've spoken to my TA who says that the booking system will not allow for two minors to be placed in one room, but that it will be OK to switch rooms once we are on board. The original room allocation that we were given had us 5 decks apart! But we were very uncomfortable with this and so have upgraded to ensure that we have rooms next to each other, which unfortunately are not inter-connected. I don't know if I dare go back and ask her to amend the booking again.

Anyway, the time that my children will spend in the rooms will be limited as they will be too busy enjoying themselves in with the various clubs and activites.

Archived