UET vs. Uniworld - Russian Waterways

2travelers

We are looking at the River Cruises to Russia, and while my husband booked with Uniworld yesterday, I really am having second thoughts about this trip, mainly about the cost. After reading several of the posts here, I researched UET and their Russian Waterways cruise on the Tolstoy. I also called the company and spoke to a lovely man, who e-mailed me the prices per person. Except for having one day less in Moscow the cruise is identical to Uniworld. Can anyone tell me why the cost is nearly $2000.00 less? :confused: They also gave me a $500 early booking discount, twice what I got from Uniworld. This price also reflects a nice upgarde. So, why the difference. Is there anyone out there who has heard about UET or have some means of comparison? I really need some help here...I can cancel the reservarion with Uniworld, but I need to do it soon. Interestingly, UET said they would hold the room and the prices until Sept.1st. Somehow, I feel like Uniworld was giving my husband the bum's rush...telling him that they were filling up fast. We have been to St.Petersburg, but he really wants to see Moscow andthe other small towns in the country....so he went for it...Any advice or past experiences would be appreciated...Thanks again....

2travelers,

UET is more or less a TA. Obviously they do have group contingents on Amadeus Waterways cruise ships so they can offer a cheaper price than in the brochures by the cruise company. So to compare the prices check also www.amadeuswaterways.com and their prices aboard the MS Tolstoy. Uniworld is a river cruise company, not a TA.

Search this board for UET and you will find a lot of recommendations as their prices are lower than the prices offered in the brochures. You can´t go wrong as Amadeus Waterways is a reliable and good company. It´s up to you which itinerary you prefer.

steamboats

We are looking at the River Cruises to Russia, and while my husband booked with Uniworld yesterday, I really am having second thoughts about this trip, mainly about the cost. .. Can anyone tell me why the cost is nearly $2000.00 less? :confused: ....

You aren't the only one confused. I asked a similar question.

I have been trying to figure out why Viking's prices are so much higher than many of the other River cruise lines. Viking will offer 2 for 1 on many of their cruises and when they do that their prices are then lower than others, including UET, for a similar cruise.

The pricing structure for river cruises doesn't seem to compare at all to ocean cruise prices nor do the discounts offered.

Looks like one has to find first the itinerary they want with the tours they want included and go from there. The age of the ship, the cabin size, nationality, smoking areas, wine included or not, etc. If it is mainly the general itinerary, which is all pretty similar, then deciding on how much you want to pay and locating that price whether through a TA, early booking, or 2 for 1 pricing will probably make the decision.

We leave next week to go on the Tolstoy. I had called Amadeus directly and also got a price from Gate 1 who brokers this ship as well and their prices were nowhere near as good as UET. I received a 15% discount from UET as well as a catagory upgrade, which nobody else was offering. Also, The agent at UET researched all the flights and got us a much better rate on the same flight that Amadeus was promoting.

We actually chose the Amadeus over Viking and Uniworld over scheduling - the date we chose has us leave the US on a Sunday and return on Saturday, which is perfect for those of us who work. Viking and Uniworld did not have any dates that would allow this.

The added perk is that the Tolstoy holds about 100 passengers less than the other ships - I like smaller. Also the standard cabin is bigger and has a shower area in the bathroom.

We are looking at the River Cruises to Russia, and while my husband booked with Uniworld yesterday, I really am having second thoughts about this trip, mainly about the cost. After reading several of the posts here, I researched UET and their Russian Waterways cruise on the Tolstoy. I also called the company and spoke to a lovely man, who e-mailed me the prices per person. Except for having one day less in Moscow the cruise is identical to Uniworld. Can anyone tell me why the cost is nearly $2000.00 less? :confused: They also gave me a $500 early booking discount, twice what I got from Uniworld. This price also reflects a nice upgarde. So, why the difference. Is there anyone out there who has heard about UET or have some means of comparison? I really need some help here...I can cancel the reservarion with Uniworld, but I need to do it soon. Interestingly, UET said they would hold the room and the prices until Sept.1st. Somehow, I feel like Uniworld was giving my husband the bum's rush...telling him that they were filling up fast. We have been to St.Petersburg, but he really wants to see Moscow andthe other small towns in the country....so he went for it...Any advice or past experiences would be appreciated...Thanks again....

Tim, the owner of UET, offers only river cruises from Amadeus, their major business is in group educational travel. I dont know if its because he used to be partners with the owner of Amadeus or low overhead, or both, but for our cruise on the Danube in July, their prices were the best, plus the service is good.

I just wanted to put in my two cents about UET...we got the best deal from them which includes great customer service on top of best value for our dollars. Of course we were a bit suspicious about the price differences since UET's prices were noticeably lower than the rest - hmmmm we wondered, was there a clause in really small print saying that we would be washing dishes, uncorking wine bottles or swabbing the decks to make up for that price difference? Our suspicions were completely unfounded and we ended up having the best time, pampered with pastries and European solicitude for our comfort.

So I say go with UET, you'll enjoy the river cruise twice because you'll know you're getting the very best deal.

Thank you to all who responded. I am so busy trying to get it together for the NCL cruise in 35 days, that I haven't spent much time on this River Cruise board. I am printing off all of your responses to show my "technically challenged" husband. I am trying to convince him that UET is the way to go. He is now looking at land tours once again, but after eight years of "on-the-bus-off-the-bus" I just want to lay back and enjoy it all. I agree that UET is the way to go. I did speak with Tim, although I did not know he was part owner. Thanks for all of your input and great information. If we make it, I will cetainly let everyone know via the CC Boards how great it was!

Ronnie

Thank you to all who responded. I am so busy trying to get it together for the NCL cruise in 35 days, that I haven't spent much time on this River Cruise board. I am printing off all of your responses to show my "technically challenged" husband. I am trying to convince him that UET is the way to go. He is now looking at land tours once again, but after eight years of "on-the-bus-off-the-bus" I just want to lay back and enjoy it all. I agree that UET is the way to go. I did speak with Tim, although I did not know he was part owner. Thanks for all of your input and great information. If we make it, I will cetainly let everyone know via the CC Boards how great it was!

Ronnie

Clarification, Tim used to be partners with the current owner of Amadeus in a travel agent capacity, not with Amadeus.

Archived