Salzburg full-day excursion

sccruzzer

Hi all:)

Wondering if anyone has taken the "optional full-day excursion" to Salzburg from Passau by Avalon? Curious what is included for the $84.00 cost. Where do you go? Do you go to any sites where "Sound of Music" was filmed? Is Lunch included?:rolleyes: , and are you back on the ship in time for Dinner that evening? Thank-you for any information you may want to share:)

We did the optional Salzburg tour last summer from the Poetry and enjoyed the day very much. It's a rather long bus ride (about an hour and a half if I recall correctly) but the buses travel through the countryside...beautiful scenery and tiny towns, fields of flowers everywhere...not just an autobahn journey! We arrived and toured the Mirabell Gardens first, then proceded to some points along the old town thorofare...Mozart's house, etc. We decided to leave the group when they headed for the cathedral and toured on our own. There's lots of street musicians performing and shopping galore. We ate lunch (not included in the trip) at an outside cafe near the large fountain area and just relaxed. Found a nearby internet place to email home (very inexpensive and efficient). Then had more free time to wander and explore. On the way back to the ship they stop at a beautiful little town called Mondee where the church is that was used for filming the Sound of Music wedding...wish we had more time to just have a cold beer or an ice cream at the outdoor cafes in this quaint village plaza but we had to cut our visit very short and return to the boat in time for dinner. I'd visit Salzburg again in a heartbeat...just a great place, but it was very crowded with tourists in July! Have a great trip.

Hi all:)

Wondering if anyone has taken the "optional full-day excursion" to Salzburg from Passau by Avalon? Curious what is included for the $84.00 cost. Where do you go? Do you go to any sites where "Sound of Music" was filmed? Is Lunch included?:rolleyes: , and are you back on the ship in time for Dinner that evening? Thank-you for any information you may want to share:)

In July, we took this excursion. We are on the Amadeus but the itenirary is probably the same for Avalon. Iam glad we had a free coupon because the tour was unenspiering and overpriced (Amadeus was $65.00 each.) Lunch was not included, one stop was made at Mirabell Gardens which is beautiful; and where a scene from the Sound of Music was filmed. The rest of the tour was walking through the town, Mozarts home etc. and then about 3 hours of free time, which should have been 90 min. at the most. Then, on to Linz to meet the ship, and instead of driving to the "wedding church" in the country side and enjoying the lake districts, we had a 10 min. stop at a lake and then the 2 hour or more bus ride.

I wish we could have seen the Schoebrunn Palace but the way the bus to the boat schedule works I dont think that is possible. The alternative of course is staying on the boat and not take the excursion. Of all of the cruise stops, I thought Salsburg was the least interesting JMO

We took this optional on our cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on Avalon. On our way to Salzburg we stopped at Mondsee, a small lakeside town to see the church where the wedding scene was filmed. I believe on the Amsterdam to Budapest trip this visit occurrs after being in Salzburg. I Salzburg we left our busses at the base of the Fortress Hoensalzburg and took a guided walk through the town, including the cemetery where the Von Trapps were hiding. After the walking tour we did have about 3 hours to explore. You can take the funicular to the the fortress, where there is a very interesting tour of the Prince Bishops residence, There are also some vey nice and relativly inexpensive patio restaurants with views of the snow capped alps. There is Motzarts Birthhouse as well a number of cathedrals and fountained squares with drink and food vendors and wonderful shopping. The views of Salzburg from the banks of the Salzach river are wonderful. We then explored Mirabell Gardens on the way back to the bus pickup location. Salzburg is a beautiful and historic city and , we thought, worth the 84.00 for the trip. We did return to the boat in time for dinner.

Brigitte,

Salzburg is something you definitely shouldn´t miss!! Check out

http://www2.salzburg.info/

and order a free brochure.

Also check out

http://www2.salzburg.info/veranstaltungen_484.htm

for the wonderful Christmas Markets in Salzburg.

I´ll be in Salzburg by the end of September and may be back in December.

steamboats

Thank-you Steamboats....I went ahead & ordered me some brochures. Can't wait for them to come....We have a channel here in the states called the "Travel Channel",,Anyway last week it had a 30 min. program on Salzburg. It looked so beautiful. Would love to hear your report when you get back in Sept, or December. :)

SCCRuzzer" We watched the Travel Channel show on Salzburg and plan on visiting. It looked fanatstic

Michael,

I agree, It looks so beautiful. When are planning on going? Are you going on a River cruise or land vacation? Would love to hear all about it when you return also. I want to know as much about it before I go. Don't want to miss out on too much:D Thank:) s

Sccruzzer: We are going on our first River Cruise this November. GCT Legendary Waterways of Holland and Belguim with an extra 3 days in Amsterdam. If we like the River Cruise we will probably book another for next October or November and take a day trip to Salzburg.

Mike

Sccruzzer,

When you go to Salzburg on your specific cruise it will be winter already, which will give the tour an extra magic. Our guides are absolutely fantastic. You will have a ball. Your Cruise Director will most probably be Dragan. He is excellent. By all means take the excursions offered; they do offer good value for money. You will be hooked or rivercruises forever.

Take care and enjoy yourself

Heintje

Archived