The recent rash of mean-spirited, personalized, argumentative posts

BorderLady

Many posts nowadays smell strongly of mildew, mold and fungus – like they’re coming from under a bridge. One suspects there are trolls in our midst.

Exactly what is an internet troll and how to deal with them? Here’s an excellent piece on how to identify trolls and avoid encouraging them.

Internet Trolls

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

This isn’t the first time this article has been recommended in this forum.

It seems to me it’s time to read it again and think about the effect of trolls on a message board -- topics that get sidetracked and degenerate into a lot of accusations, defensiveness, space and time-wasting nonsense.

For those who don’t have time to read, here’s the bottom line:

Ignore them. Don’t respond to their posts. They’ll give up and go away sooner that way.

AMEN!!

Just read a post that advised how one can add a poster to their ignore list...

I immediately did this....

I have learned a great deal on this board and find the vast majority of people here are very helpful, friendly and have a lot to share with their fellow members.

I find the "discussions" pointless when a person just keeps pounding a topic like a dog with a bone. Excellent suggestion to just ignore and move on and hope they do too.

Thanks for the reminder..

I left this board a few years ago because the posts were so negative.I've now found my way back and am glad. I make no excuses for loving Holland America Line.

Thanks for the info on trolls. It helps to know that others are as annoyed about the mean spirited posts as I am.

KK.....On the page that lists the threads, on the upper right hand corner is something like Ignore Poster. Click on that and follow the prompt. I think that doing that means you will not have to be bothered by posts from persons you do not wish to hear from. Lots of nice features on this new Board.

I did it yesterday, you go up to that persons name and it should be underlined. Then you go to their profile, they on the top right you click on "ignore this person"

What happens is that this person can still post however, you do not see it at all it just show there name and skips to the next thread. Its a wonderful thing! Hopefully I am not the person you wanted to block :) Let me know if it works for you

Since the thread was deleted I'll post how to ignore a person again.

Click on a screen name within a thread. Select "profile" of the person. In the top right hand corner is a selection to "ignore this poster".

What happens is you won't see this user's posts anymore. Hopefully things have settled down and it won't have be used much if at all anymore.

These boards are so wonderful, I am glad we do not let a few bad apples spoil the fun, I like being able to block those people

S7S's I am sure we are not the only two who have blocked that person ;0 :)

KK.....I most assuredly did not block your posts either.:) ...not dst ;)

My last reaidng of the board last night was about 8:30 or so and know I turned off my computer before 10:00. When I left, things seemed relatively quiet. What may have happened after that I have no idea.

I am unhappy that the subject matter of the trouble concerned me and I apologize to everyone that occured. I don't know what I should have done differently but am more than open to suggestions.

KK did a very kind, considerate, nice thing regardless of what occured. I appreciate those and everyone's good wishes and think it all should be dropped at this point.

I am unhappy that the subject matter of the trouble concerned me and I apologize to everyone that occured. I don't know what I should have done differently but am more than open to suggestions.
Maybe Dr. Atkins was correct. If we all gave up carbohydrates we wouldn't eat cake and all this ugliness would not have occurred.:D

Let's sue Sara Lee!!!!!

:) That's why I stick with South Beach...... Dr. Agatston's a little more "liberal". :)

Good carbs.....

Why are you picking on poor Sara Lee? Whaddidsheever do but put fat on our hips and clog in our arteries? Compared to others....she's a saint.

:) That's why I stick with South Beach...... Dr. Agatston's a little more "liberal". :)

Good carbs.....

Aaaahhhh!

November is four months away and we're already going to have the "liberal" vs. the "conservative" carbs. I just wish our carbs wouold be bipartisan.

Okay you guys are too funny, there is no reason for you to appologize for someone elses ignorance. The thread was started as a wel wish for you and that is where it should have remained.

There are people out there who like to be mean and start trouble no matter what or why its how they thrive..........

a saying that my grandfather use to say is "God don't like Ugly" and sometimes people are just ugly.

I hope that the thread brought you more joy than it did hardship, there are lots of people on here that appreciate what you bring to the threads and most of all appreciate your great achievements!

Archived