Conquest or Rhapsody of the Seas?

bluedevil72

We are thinking about driving down to Galvestion next summer and taking a cruise on one of these two ships. We have cruised on Carnival two times before but have never cruised on Royal Caribbean. Can someone give me some info on either one, or better yet, both of these if you have done both? (We did Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on the Inspiration in 2002 and will probably go with those same ports again. I know RCCI has another itinerary, but we would like to go back and visit the same ports and do other excursions.)

hi i have been on both and totally enjoy royal caribbean. Carnival just doesnt seem to have the same service or going that extra mile. conquest is a new ship with lots to do but it was not a real fun atmosphere. hope this helps.

Actually, the Rhapsody of the seas either goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel every other week. Every OTHER week, it goes to Key West instead of Jamaica. So you could keep a similar itinerary. Key West rocks though - even though you'd think you don't want to go somewhere in Florida on your cruise, it is such a cool stop.

I loved Royal Caribbean and while I've never been on Carnival, I have never once heard someone say they liked Carnival more than Royal Caribbean.

I too had the same debate when planning our next cruise. We were on Rhaposdy for our first cruise, and really enjoyed the size of the ship (not too big...not too small) and the artwork and decor were fabulous. I have also found posts on CC about "why is everyone so enchanted with Rhaposdy". I have not read a great deal about Conquest, and I’m sure that there’s an equal number of folks that were enamored with that ship.

When comparing the two ships, one of the "top highlights" of Conquest was having 22 bars. As I don't drink much, I did not think that I would visit 3 bars a day (and I would still have missed one).

So I *think* that it is a matter of preference. I am in the "older than Walmart" crowd, and prefer a more quiet environment. If you are more party oriented, it would seem that Conquest is a livelier (and probably younger) crowd.

I like Carnival better but I base my cruise choices on price and ports. I have sailed the RHapsody other RCL ships and many Carnival ships - not the COnquest. The Rhapsody has a great pool layout as do all the RCL ships - no slide though. The hallways are smaller and the cabins and showers are smaller but the ship is more elegant in a Four Seasons sort of way. The dining is more elegant. I like the food on Carnival better though. It is very nice to try different lines so you will know what you like - we are all different and if you don't think RCL is better you will enjoy the differences I'm sure. I enjoyed going back on RCL (6 cruises) but I was on Carnival the next year again. :rolleyes: Debbie

I was on the Conquest and I could never get the lay of the ship. I kept getting lost. We are going on the Rhapsody next year which I hear is a twin to the Vision (we took that this year) and I could find things easier.

Not to add to the mix, but isn't Voyager of the Seas coming to Galvestion? I can't remember if it's in 2007 or 2008. RCI wanted to compete with the size and extra ammenities of the Conquest. Plus, Galveston has be come quite the profitable port. Many Okies make the trip to Galveston by car instead of flying off to the east or west coast to cruise.

Both ships have great value for the dollar, and that would be the decision maker for me.

We've sailed the Rhapsody several times and her sister ship the Splendor out of Galveston as well. We've also spent a great afternoon touring the Conquest over the summer and the differences are what the others have posted.

The Rhapsody is one very nice ship. She has aged some, but has done so well. Prior to upgrades in bedding the mattress felt like you were on a camping trip.

The crew, dining staff, Solarium, entertainment and other amenities makes this a favorite of Texans and others as well.

Navigation around the ship is the easiest we've ever experienced.

The Conquest is a incredible ship once you board, and the cabins are superior in quality. Remember she first sailed in 2002, so this ship has aged some as well. I really like the casual dining aboard, and we enjoyed a great meal prior there prior to leaving the ship.

On thing I have heard friends and other posters describe is a little bit of a cattle drive feeling at tender ports, so if that is a big deal then look it over.

Also, we sailed to Cozumel the same time the Conquest did one cruise, and by the time their guests arrived at Playa Mia Beach the chairs were scarce. Might have been a one time deal, but look at the arrival and departure times for the ports.

Consider the activities would be of larger scope aboard a big ship, a floating city versus a floating resort and then make up your mind.

We have no real loyalty to either line, as we are booked on the Esctasy for the 4th time in a couple of months. We'd have sailed the Conquest in June but the prices just were not worth the extra amount for my family.

Here are some photos of both. Click on the Conquest album or the Rhapsody Album and then click on SLIDESHOW.

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone for your replies. They were exactly what I needed to see. As I said in the OP we have sailed Carnival twice, and enjoyed it both times, but would like to try someone else so we are really leaning toward the Rhapsody.

We are thinking about driving down to Galvestion next summer and taking a cruise on one of these two ships. We have cruised on Carnival two times before but have never cruised on Royal Caribbean. Can someone give me some info on either one, or better yet, both of these if you have done both? (We did Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on the Inspiration in 2002 and will probably go with those same ports again. I know RCCI has another itinerary, but we would like to go back and visit the same ports and do other excursions.)[/quote

I live in North Texas. I did my first and favorite cruise on Rhapsody three years ago from Galveston. Two years ago tried Celebrity Galaxy from Galveston. Galaxy was nice but I enjoyed the food and shows much better on Rhapsody. Galveston is a great port for also for people from the Midwest.

You can not go wrong sailing on Rhapsody.

I loved both ships! I loved the dining choices on the Conquest--the fish 'n chips, the Chinese food, the deli area, hamburgers, pizza, and of course--the dining room. It is very large and can be confusing to navigate though, and getting on and off it was a nightmare. I hope they have worked out that problem...We were on the first sailing out of Galveston when it was repositioned from New Orleans. The Rhapsody is smaller, but the entertainment was some of the best we have experienced, and we loved the many areas to sit and view the ocean! We are sailing again on the Rhapsody in a couple of weeks. Anyhooooooooo, I think you will enjoy a cruise on either...Of course, after our next sailing, I will know if the Rhapsody is as much fun as it was the last time we sailed on it!

Archived