Using Different Airlines For Departures & Returns?

UpstateCruizer

While researching our cruise air for next June on AOL's travel page it's showing that I could select an US Air flight for our departure flight and then switch to a Delta flight for our return flight. I've never done this and I'm curious as to any potential pitfalls in chosing different carriers?? I am still hesitant to book our departure flight through Delta to Atlanta on June 1st. If I book US Air on that date we'd fly into Charlotte instead. By chosing Delta on the return flight on June 10th we'd fly into Atlanta, but I wouldn't be as concerned about lost luggage missing connections etc. If we choose to stick with just US Air we'd have to fly on one of the Rj's from Philly to Syracuse. Not so sure that's a good option. So I've still not booked our airfare :( I've had nothing but positive experiences on Northwest but I'm not willing to pay the current prices (although they have come down alot in the past couple weeks) but their flight times for the return flight are too late in the day for us. Any advice or suggestions ?? Thanks again :)

I do it all the time. With the old paper tickets, they were issued by one carrier, usually the outbound flight, and if you had to make changes later you had to deal with the issuing carrier which sometimes was a mess. But with e-tickets and most of the early bookings being nonrefundable anyway, its not a problem. Just make sure you know the luggage rules of both carriers, sometimes there is a difference in weight, dimensions or number of pieces.

You did not say where you were flying to, but I gather you start in Philly on June 1 and then return June 10. Where are you going to?

The only downfall with booking the different legs on different carriers is that you will be traveling on one-way tickets and will most likely get pulled out for extra security.

Personally, if you are worried about lost luggage I would avoid US Air through Philadelphia as that combination is a black hole for missing luggage.

You did not say where you were flying to, but I gather you start in Philly on June 1 and then return June 10. Where are you going to?

Actually we start in Syracuse and end up in Miami. Thanks for your reply :) I'm glad taking two different airlines wouldn't be an issue :)

I think you are looking for airfare to far in advance. You are 10 months away from your cruise date. Airfare prices will change at least 20 times before you fly plus there is a chance that the times you book will probably change too. I would wait a few months before booking it. Try kayak.com for rates.

I think you are looking for airfare to far in advance. You are 10 months away from your cruise date. Airfare prices will change at least 20 times before you fly plus there is a chance that the times you book will probably change too. I would wait a few months before booking it. Try kayak.com for rates.

AGH .....I keep hearing book early book early fuel prices are going to make flight costs through the roof ....The prices for the current flights are pretty much in line with what it would cost if I were to actually fly out tomorrow. One of the flight segments in showing half the plane is already filled. Not sure if airlines do the bulk sale of seats and buy them back like cruises do. Since we are flying in a day early and leaving a day later I wouldn't mind changes in flight times but I really don't want to fly on those Rj's if I don't have to. So with all this you'd still wait a few months to book? Thanks for all the replies too :) You guys are a big help as always.

Crazed

In May/June we flew from Columbia, SC to Philly, to Rome on US Air. Our return flight 15 days latter was Rome to Cincinnati to Columbia on Delta. I was a little concerned and would rather have been on the same airline, but all turned out well. We booked our air through Carnival. Good Luck.

Bobby

Archived