Meet & Mingle Warning

I also was pointing pout that the M&M's have been inconsistant this year.

and that possibly a M&M in that venue at that hour was not the best idea

and that it will probably change a few times.

once again sorry bout that.

john

No sweat man, the bigger, better person is the one who does what you did. That's awesome and a pleasure to see on the boards. You could have just stayed mad, but didn't, and I (FWIW) appreciate it.

No sweat man, the bigger, better person is the one who does what you did. That's awesome and a pleasure to see on the boards. You could have just stayed mad, but didn't, and I (FWIW) appreciate it.

Ditto.:)

I also was pointing pout that the M&M's have been inconsistant this year.

and that possibly a M&M in that venue at that hour was not the best idea

and that it will probably change a few times.

once again sorry bout that.

john

Hey, John;

I was going to ask you why you didn't like the 11:00 time for the M&M. It is a get-together to meet fellow Cruise Critic boarders and have friends to share the week with. If it were a "cocktail" party designed for drinks and dancing, then maybe later would be better.;)

We always try to have the free party as early as possible which is usually the morning of the first full day. The ones we have had, have been great! We met everyone, spent 30 minutes to an hour talking and sharing, then went to Windjammer for some lunch (with some of our new friends).:cool:

Try it --- You might like it!!:D

This will my first RC cruise, and first 'official' M&M. I beleive that there are over 50 signed up for ours, but not 50 who are active on the roll call (or 25 if you divide by 2 :)) I've been to CC m&m's that had big turnouts and made friends, and others where I felt out of place. I agree that RC is smart hosting these, and it is a no lose situation for them. CC does have a very big following within the industry ( Frommer quoted CC today in his column concerning alcohol policies). Like anything else, it is what you make it, put a face to a name (or avitar), make a new friend or 2 ( it's amazing how you think you have so much in common on a message board, to only find that you REALLY don't lol). In the end, the M&M is just a vehicle, a place to meet people where the first words aren't awkward. After that it's just like any other place- a bar, your kids sporting event etc, you click or you don't. You still met a bunch of people, had some food ( like you needed it ;)), and have a bunch of faces to say hi to for the next 5-11 days or so. It is hard for RC to find the perfect time that won't intifere with everyone's schedule, it does make sense to me to do it mid day, on a sea day early in the cruise ( we're lucky- we got 2 :))

Seas the day

C

While it does seem hard to please veryone, many in our M&M of over 120 people have pleaded with RCL to change our time and they have told each of us they won't. I agree with all who have said that the logistics of plannign will invariably incovenience someone but RCL has scheduled our M&M for 5pm on the first formal night so now we willl invariably lose many who are in the process of getting ready for dinner. Also, many who have second dining take that one so they don't have to rush to dress so they either have to come and mingle with those of us already in formal wear while still in their shorts or they have to dress early. All of this has been pointed out to RCL but they can't change their times.

As the Cruise Director always says, if there's anything we can do to improve your experience, just ask. We asked and all received a "sorry, that's just the way it is" sort of answer.

Guest cvbart
The M and M is a complete waste of time anyway. It's certainly not worth changing your schedule for.

I hope they talk about more the the rules and the dress code.

Guest cvbart
This will my first RC cruise, and first 'official' M&M. I beleive that there are over 50 signed up for ours, but not 50 who are active on the roll call (or 25 if you divide by 2 :)) I've been to CC m&m's that had big turnouts and made friends, and others where I felt out of place. I agree that RC is smart hosting these, and it is a no lose situation for them. CC does have a very big following within the industry ( Frommer quoted CC today in his column concerning alcohol policies). Like anything else, it is what you make it, put a face to a name (or avitar), make a new friend or 2 ( it's amazing how you think you have so much in common on a message board, to only find that you REALLY don't lol). In the end, the M&M is just a vehicle, a place to meet people where the first words aren't awkward. After that it's just like any other place- a bar, your kids sporting event etc, you click or you don't. You still met a bunch of people, had some food ( like you needed it ;)), and have a bunch of faces to say hi to for the next 5-11 days or so. It is hard for RC to find the perfect time that won't intifere with everyone's schedule, it does make sense to me to do it mid day, on a sea day early in the cruise ( we're lucky- we got 2 :))

Seas the day

C

Great post.

My problem is I don't feel my wife and I have much in common with most of you.

We might go on one cruise a year and we don't eat, sleep and dream cruising as most of you do.

We go on a cruise to realx and do very little so all the pool and rock climbing type stuff means very little to us.

To us a cruise is just another vacation thats a lot more relaxing then most.

single me out that is presonal, I supose you think that a personal

attack is ok ?

Thats the trouble with some people they think no one else has anything to contribute or feelings.

And when you come to the defense of a personal attack post you are no better.

MYOFB.

All the people I have met here are fantastic ---except 2.

This will be my best cruise ever.

"Non Carborundum Ilegitimi"

John

No one flamed anyone - nor was it a personal attack post. Given your language, the alert button might be a good idea. Using abbreviated caps doesn't cover up what it is - just plain bad language.

Fran in Toronto

Just back from Aug 6th Marriner. Our M&M was changed because of a change in the itinnarary, then changed back. A few of us met on our own the first afternoon, so we ended up metting at three diffrent times. This being our first cruise we thought it was great. Then we knew other people when we would run into them latter on. Made some new friends also.

Great post.

My problem is I don't feel my wife and I have much in common with most of you.

We might go on one cruise a year and we don't eat, sleep and dream cruising as most of you do.

We go on a cruise to realx and do very little so all the pool and rock climbing type stuff means very little to us.

To us a cruise is just another vacation thats a lot more relaxing then most.

That's not a problem. It's the way that you feel, and it simply means that you shouldn't attend the Meet and Mingle. Nothing wrong with that.

Well the first one I registered for I never went to because we were having too much fun with people we met on board (not CC people).

We did the one in Alaska..25 signed up and 25 came. We had a blast and there were some that we never saw again but there were others that we still keep in touch with. RCI was great on this one. They served REAL drinks and food and great prizes..it was at noon on the first sea day. We also met before the M and M on board.

A week after Alaska we did the M and M on Adventure and it was pitiful...we left after 15 minutes. It was like going to a high school reunion where you never fit in anyway!!!

Personally, I love to chat with others going on the same cruise or just love talking to new people. Maybe we click, maybe not...

We don't eat, sleep and dream cruising either. We go on a cruise to relax and don't do rock climbing or ice skating or participate in pool games.

If people feel they have nothing in common with others cruising, then please, do stay away from M and M...perhaps that's why the one on Adventure was so pitiful.

well it looks like I will not even have the chance to be at a meet and mingle or agree with the time it is held or whither I like it or not. I am on the November 26 EOS and only 7 people posted, I was the last on August 15th and not a word for anyone else who is on the ship. I would of went regardless of the time. Maybe on my next cruise. I will enjoy the C&A get together instead.

I have had fun on all of the M&M's especially the one we had before they were official. They were called rubber band parties then, because we wore rubber bands on our wrists to know who we were and met in the schooner bar at a time agreed to by all. Nothing can stop you from organizing one before the one set up by the ship. At some had red ribbons, the inag of Freedom which was an official CC set up, we had pink boas.

No one is forced to go, and as for 11 am, that is a good time most people are not that involved in their daily activities yet. And yes, you will not bond with everyone. But I have formed lasting friendships with people we have cruised with, but some people prefer to be alone. But hey, if it is boring ( and boring is a relative term... sitting and having a drink with friends is boring to some and not to others) an you have not made a connection with anyone on your roll call, then by all means do not go.

We have been to M&M's on RCI and Celebrity. Some were very lively & interesting and others where there was very little meeting and mingling.

On a couple of other lines, we have had meetings arrainged by one of our Roll Call members. Those have generally been more successful. Attendance by the roll call members was high and the ships have generally sent staff members to welcome us and answer any questions.

Cruise Critic is pretty well known throughout the industry. The lines know we like to cruise and aren't afraid to voice our opinion on any cruise topic.

Charlie

I was on the Navigator in June. Originally scheduled time was 5:00 on Sunday; however, when we arrived at our cabin, there was an invitation for 11:00 on Sunday. I liked that much better, but would have gone to the 5:00 one, it may have been fun to see everyone dressed up.

We had a really good time, the Captain attended and we had a great time. It was fun meeting all those that we had talked to for months. We even set up a meeting when we got on the ship to meet with one family that we had gotten to know and had lunch with them in the Windjammer. We had each other's cell phones and we called them when we called each other when we arrived at the dock.

There were a few prizes and some food. It was about 2 hours long and most people stayed the entire time.

My DH and I are going to Hawaii in Oct 2007 and since it is too soon to sign up for the M&M, we already have an e-mail started. I think there are already between 30 and 40 people that have been corresponding on a regular basis. I can't wait to meet them.

On our 11/27 Serenade sailing we had 80+ signed up..... quite a lively thread going before we all left too.

We had all agreed to meet for "pre" party after sailaway in San Juan in the Crown Viking lounge.... was fun to put faces to names.... about 40 of us showed up..... we all wore mardi gras beads.....and I made name tags

Then for our Meet & Mingle we also had gift exchange...... it was fun as we had the option to bring a SMALL (under 10.00) gift that representated where we were from.... also had the regular items and I passed out special "keepsakes" I made 50 of. They were canvas bags with zippers and long shoulder straps that I did iron on transfers onto with the cruise critic logo and Serenade of the Seas - November 2005. They were a big hit and everyone used them to keep their seapass cards, lipgloss and other small items in around the ship.

Anyway it all depends on what you put into your M&M on how good it will be. I still keep in touch with some of the people I attended with.

Guest cvbart
Well the first one I registered for I never went to because we were having too much fun with people we met on board (not CC people).

We did the one in Alaska..25 signed up and 25 came. We had a blast and there were some that we never saw again but there were others that we still keep in touch with. RCI was great on this one. They served REAL drinks and food and great prizes..it was at noon on the first sea day. We also met before the M and M on board.

A week after Alaska we did the M and M on Adventure and it was pitiful...we left after 15 minutes. It was like going to a high school reunion where you never fit in anyway!!!

Personally, I love to chat with others going on the same cruise or just love talking to new people. Maybe we click, maybe not...

We don't eat, sleep and dream cruising either. We go on a cruise to relax and don't do rock climbing or ice skating or participate in pool games.

If people feel they have nothing in common with others cruising, then please, do stay away from M and M...perhaps that's why the one on Adventure was so pitiful.

Thank you.

I will follow your advice.

Archived