White Gown..dye It Black Or Leave It?

Gigi1220

I just returned a short cocktail dress from L&T this weekend...I was not happy with the length...I got a long white gown with a line of crystals going down the center vertically....from chest to the belly....I am wondering if I should get it dyed black? I leave in 1 week!!!!! Even though it is white.Eggshell....it does not look wedding ish....Should I leave it? Or get it dyed?

Leave it!!:eek:

Seriously, unless you know of a professional to do it for you don't do it.

Most gowns are of man-made materials (unless they are silk). The man-made materials do not take dye well, if at all.

And, I've been told by a friend who works at a college costume shop and dyes stuff frequently, black is the hardest color to do. She when she does black, she does a special mixture of several RIT dyes to make it actually come out the way she wants it (this is after several years of experimenting).

Plus, if not done correctly, you could have problems with uneven coloring or coloring that comes off when it is worn.:rolleyes:

So, splurge on a colored wrap, colored stone jewerly, and/or new shoes and leave the gown the way it is. :)

Most gowns are of man-made materials (unless they are silk). The man-made materials do not take dye well, if at all.

And, I've been told by a friend who works at a college costume shop and dyes stuff frequently, black is the hardest color to do. She when she does black, she does a special mixture of several RIT dyes to make it actually come out the way she wants it (this is after several years of experimenting).

Plus, if not done correctly, you could have problems with uneven coloring or coloring that comes off when it is worn.:rolleyes:

So, splurge on a colored wrap, colored stone jewerly, and/or new shoes and leave the gown the way it is.

I agree 100%...across the board!!!!

I like eggshell and if the dress does not look like a bridal gown, why would you want to change it?

I would accessorize with metallics, not colors personally, as I think it is a more elegant look. Strappy heels in a muted gold with pretty gold jewelry and a great clutch would be my choice.

Enjoy!

.:rolleyes:

. :)

Plus, you'd probably end up shrinking the gown. It would be difficult for you to get it back into its original shape.

I would leave it eggshell also. I escpecially wouldn't mess with something 1 week before a cruise. I would just suggest not carrying a bouqet of flowers and wearing a veil :D

But if after wearing it you feel wedding gownish, I would have it cut to a cocktail length.

I would leave it eggshell also. I escpecially wouldn't mess with something 1 week before a cruise. I would just suggest not carrying a bouqet of flowers and wearing a veil :D

But if after wearing it you feel wedding gownish, I would have it cut to a cocktail length.

and as long as it does not have a trane on it-it will not look like a wedding gown!

Momofmeg----I was kidding about the veil and bouqet, OP mentioned weddingish.

Oh I know-actually today these modern brides don'[t wear the veils much. Stille, the actual wedding gowns have tranes. A white or ivory gown will not look "bridal" to me unless it has a trane.

OK this thread has caused a bad memory to surface.. 7 years old... fancy, white First Communion dress... party... koolaid down the front.... thrifty mother.....navy blue RIT dye.... a week later the nuns had the little First Communion girls parade around in church for whatever..... LITTLE BLACK SHEEP!!!!! Nuns were yelling, I was mortified and mom hid in the car. NO DYE JOBS FOR ME EVER

I just returned a short cocktail dress from L&T this weekend...I was not happy with the length...I got a long white gown with a line of crystals going down the center vertically....from chest to the belly....I am wondering if I should get it dyed black? I leave in 1 week!!!!! Even though it is white.Eggshell....it does not look wedding ish....Should I leave it? Or get it dyed?

I did once; never again- ruined the dress; it turned out to be a yucky drab gray color. For your dress, could you find one of those short jackets in a bright color, or drape a colorful silk shawl over your shoulders? Just think you had better try to add some color to it or someone may mistake you for a bride.

OK this thread has caused a bad memory to surface.. 7 years old... fancy, white First Communion dress... party... koolaid down the front.... thrifty mother.....navy blue RIT dye.... a week later the nuns had the little First Communion girls parade around in church for whatever..... LITTLE BLACK SHEEP!!!!! Nuns were yelling, I was mortified and mom hid in the car. NO DYE JOBS FOR ME EVER

Lucky me, the only thing Mom ever tried to dye was the white polyester curtains in my bedroom. They only took a very tiny bit of the pink dye and I never had to wear them!

More notes on dyeing: 1. Any invisible grease stain is likely to show up as a darker spot. 2. Thread, zippers, ribbon and trims are likely to be made from different materials than the dress 3. Wait until you are really ready to "loose" the dress before attempting a dye job and 4. Leave the job to the professionals and listen to anything they have to say about doing the job before you leap into it!

Archived