Documentation for Residency Discount

I booked in February for our upcoming September cruise on AOS. In the interim, the price dropped twice and I was able to call my TA and get the difference refunded.

When I received my docs last week, the cover of the booklet had a red sticker indicating that we had participated in a special pricing program. Upon review, the documents stated we had received a resident discount. No one had mentioned this on either call to my TA (large internet group), so I called again to find out what was going on.

The TA called RCI and said that they had no record of what the resident discount was since it was no longer being offered but it shouldn’t be a problem since they had to get permission from RCI to use the discount. My concern is I will show up to the pier and be asked for proof of residency and it will turn out that I am not eligible for the discount. If that happens, my TA said I would be charged whatever the rate is on that day (which I will fight tooth and nail because I called and asked for my fare to be reduced to what they were advertising on their site, I never requested or was told I was receiving a resident rate). For those of you who have received a resident discount, are you asked to show a driver’s license at the pier as validation?

I appreciate any input. I’ve been planning this for a long time, and watching the fares go down. I will be SO displeased if I have to start my cruise with a debate at the check-in desk over our fare.

We had a residency discout on our last cruise. We used our passports as ID and passports do not have an address on them. We were never asked to prove our residencey at the pier. However, I am sure your drivers license would be proof enough if you are asked.

When I received my docs last week, the cover of the booklet had a red sticker indicating that we had participated in a special pricing program. Upon review, the documents stated we had received a resident discount. No one had mentioned this on either call to my TA (large internet group), so I called again to find out what was going on.

The TA called RCI and said that they had no record of what the resident discount was since it was no longer being offered but it shouldn’t be a problem since they had to get permission from RCI to use the discount.

Don't panic! Based upon what your TA has stated, Royal Caribbean doesn't even remember what state you're from ... this may be helpful if they can't ever remember. Secondly, even if they did give you a discount, one would hope your TA made it applicible for the state where you reside versus somewhere else. So these are two things in your favor so far. Your only issues stem from your TA.

Thirdly, though not as helpful, I've gotten discounts in the past based upon residency. I've brought my driver's license as verification. Never have I been asked for it. Of course bring verification as requested, just in case.

If you have to know, you can try calling Royal Caribbean to see if they show any residency discount and what state it applies to. They can be helpful to a degree but can and will refer you back to your TA on some things.

I hope things work out well in the end!

Thank you so much for the quick replies. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was concerned I would be asked at the pier for verification. If that isn't the case, then I have no problem. Now I can enjoy my pre-cruise planning mania in peace! :D

Thank you so much for the quick replies. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was concerned I would be asked at the pier for verification. If that isn't the case, then I have no problem. Now I can enjoy my pre-cruise planning mania in peace! :D

If your actual residency is what appears on the cruise documents then there shouldn't be a problem. Some unscrupulous TAs were fudging their clients residencies in order to get them that discount and when it was discovered at the pier, the passengers were require to pay the proper rate. You might well be asked to show proof of your residency but if the TA didn't do anything improper you shouldn't have reason to worry. :)

If your actual residency is what appears on the cruise documents then there shouldn't be a problem. Some unscrupulous TAs were fudging their clients residencies in order to get them that discount and when it was discovered at the pier, the passengers were require to pay the proper rate. You might well be asked to show proof of your residency but if the TA didn't do anything improper you shouldn't have reason to worry. :)

I am more worried my TA made a mistake of some kind rather than tried to cheat the system. I just don't want to get caught in the middle and end up paying more for someone else's mistake. I am unsure why a resident discount was used instead of just a regular price drop.

I will second what negc said ... I'd only be worried about your TA having done something improper ... even if it was unintentional. No matter what, bring proof of residency in case you do get asked. Better safe on that note.

I am more worried my TA made a mistake of some kind rather than tried to cheat the system. I just don't want to get caught in the middle and end up paying more for someone else's mistake. I am unsure why a resident discount was used instead of just a regular price drop.

A resident discount would have been used if you were qualified for one. It is not infrequent and the cruiselines normally ask the age and state of residence of its new bookings just in case a seniors discount or residency discount applies. At different times and on different sailings a number of states may qualify for a discount.

If you booked with a TA, I would get the TA to have RCCL change it before you get to the ship.

This is from the RCCL website asking what state you live in when you book a cruise. That could be a large amount of money you might be charged before boarding if you do not qualify..

cor_thoughtbubble_ico_lg.gifPlease Note: A valid driver's license or state-issued ID will be required for validation at the pier. If age or state of residency cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

s.gif

Since you're the one who called the TA infoming them of the price drop why would you thing something wasn't right? If you are to prove a sr. or resident discount, it will say that right on the the front of your RCL statement under restrictions. Ask your TA for a new statement directly from Royal Caribbean.

Since you're the one who called the TA infoming them of the price drop why would you thing something wasn't right? If you are to prove a sr. or resident discount, it will say that right on the the front of your RCL statement under restrictions. Ask your TA for a new statement directly from Royal Caribbean.

I just went to the website and looked up my sailing, and saw the price had dropped $50 pp, so I called to get my price changed. I didn't ask about a resident discount, didn't know there was one offered for my sailing or my state, and wasn't told by my TA that the change in price he processed for me upon my calling was as a resident discount instead just changing the rate to what was being offered to all new bookings at the time of my call. I knew nothing about any of it until my docs came and said a resident rate had been applied, and when I called to check with my TA that the resident discount they applied was appropriate (ie that it was availabe to those from Massachusetts), she called RCI who told her they have no record of what the resident discount was since it was no longer being offered. So, I can't confirm what state the promotion was for. The TA said since they have no record of what states were given the special rate, I was fine since RCI had to approve the resident rate for my booking before the TA would apply it. My concern was I would arrive at the pier to check in, have someone ask for a license and find out that the resident rate was for Michigan or Missouri and that I wasn't eligible. If they don't routinely ask for ID, I won't worry about it.

Unless you believe that the TA would apply for a Michigan or Missouri residency rate when you are a resident of Massachusetts, you are worrying unnecessarily. In order to give you a residency rate, RCI had to ask your TA your state of residence and applied that rate if they were offering a discount to residents of that state. It would take errors on the parts of both RCI and your TA to screw this up. You may well be asked for proof of residency, as it says on your documents. Just provide whatever they ask. If there was an error, pay the difference with a credit card and take the matter up with your TA when you return. He or she should be covered by errors and omissions insurance and should reimburse you any extra costs that were caused by his or her mistake.

Archived