Bathsheba "soup bowl"

Rustyone

I've got another thread here where I mention the soup bowl. From what I've gathered it is in the Bathsheba area on the East coast Atlantic side of the island. It is the white foam waves that I am interested in, and the impression I get that it is less developed than the West side. I am already dreaming of us sitting on the deck over looking those beautiful white waves. Can anybody tell me about this area of the island. Specifically accommodations, dining possibilities, shopping etc. Also, how far is it from the cruise docks and what would be the best way to get to them. We are thinking about doing a 3 day pre-cruise here.

Yes, the East Coast of the island is much less populated than the West Coast. This is where many of us have a weekend getaway as it is much less expensive and it truly feels like you’re a 1,000 miles away from B-town when you are only 8-10 miles away.

You didn’t say when you are arriving or how much you wanted to spend, so I’ll give you a couple of ideas.

Although not on the beach, our premiere hotel of the East Coast, and perhaps the entire island, is Villa Nova two miles south of Bathsheba. It is exquisite. You will not find a nicer place in this hemisphere.

The other option, and perhaps the one that you are looking for, is the Crane Hotel on the SE coast in the parish of St. Philip. Here you can see those magnificent waves breaking and stroll the half-mile long beach of pink sand in almost complete solitude on some days.

Here are some pictures:

Crane Beach, Barbados

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

crane2.jpg

crane5.jpg

You also have the Atlantis Hotel right in Bathsheba. A little more rustic than the others that I mentioned, but also more affordable and a great Sunday brunch.

The Atlantis would put you smack in the middle of our East Coast. I’d rent a car at Grantly Adams Airport, as taxis aren’t quite as plentiful on this side of the island, and see all of the sights. The Atlantis is about a 12-mile drive from the airport; Villa Nova is about the same and The Crane is only about three miles from the airport.

The cruise dock is about 8-9 miles from the airport.

My best wishes for a wonderful time on the island! :)

Thanks so much for the tips barbados! I actually had you in mind when I asked the questions. I have another question for you. Where do people such as yourself, who already live in places like you do go for vacations? :)

“Where do people such as yourself, who already live in places like you do go for vacations?”

Not much time for vacations……We work in the Caribbean during the NA winters and generally hit most of the islands for a few days. However, this year we had to spend most of our time in the UK and were treated to five magnificent days on Mahe in the Seychelles from one of our clients. That’s about the first real vacation we’ve had in years. I think I could get used to it.

The Caribbean is beautiful, indeed, but when you are working, it is like any other place, just warmer.

Glad my post was of some help to you, my friend. Barbados is one of the best islands in the Caribbean. That’s why we chose it for home base. I hope you enjoy it, too. :)

Rustyone,

I hope you enjoy your stay in Bathsheba.. It is a great place for listening to the sound of the sea.. with the breakers etc. It's not a great place for swimming, but there are some nice "poolies" as we call them that form at low tide. and if you want to surf at all, and are experienced, this is the place to be as well.

As for where those of us who live here vacation, I have just returned from 6 weeks in North Carolina, where I'm from, visiting family. It's a good holiday for me and my family as we see relatives and we get to shop and eat at places we don't have here.

Thomasbreadstocking

Barbados is lots of fun, but I'm sure (and hopefully it will stay this way), not as FUN depending on what kind of FUN you want.

Every review states. they had wished they stayed on the west coast instead of the east coast it is too rough , besides the west side is supposed to be more accessable beaches. but the chronic is everywhere!

I've heard this particular area has bad rip tides and such. We would be going more for the "ambiance" than anything else as my wife can't swim and so wades only, and I walk with a cane so the water is more for the visceral effect than anything else.

It's just that every other place we've been was beautiful but the water kinda just "laid there" it looks like an over grown lake. I've never seen the ocean with breakers and would love to see them. When I think about it the combination of breakers and a more rustic accomodation sets a pretty romantic mood. DW likes that kind of stuff.

Archived