Amadeus European Heartland Cruise Question

mcintyre9454

I just booked my daughter any myself on Amadeus's European Heartland Cruise from Prague to Paris on June 28, 2007. I have a question I'm hopig someone here can help me with. The Paris hotel Amadeus includes in their package is the Sofitel Bercy....which doesn't appear to be very coveniently located. Has anyone here stayed at this hotel....if so, what are your opinions of it. My other option is to book our own Paris hotel, but them I'm responsible for getting my daughter and myself from Trier, Germany to Paris as I won't be able to use the ship's transfer to Paris if I book a different hotel. Has anyone travelled on their own from Trier to Paris? Is there a train that runs between the two cities and is it easy to travel? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may be able to offer.

mcintyre9454,

Yes, there is a train connection between Trier and Paris. Check

http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVOSN:eccoHdNNiY3YSNNNNN1M/p/view/international/englisch/international_guests.shtml

The trains are running frequently but it´s a 6-7 hour train ride and you have to change at least once (on some connections twice). With lots of luggage and regarding the transfers from the train station to the hotel / ship I won´t advice you to do that.

I just looked up the Sofitel Bercy and I don´t think it´s not conveniently located. It´s within walking distance of two subway stations. One is the train station Gare de Lyon. It´s directly located next to the Botanical Garden Bercy and the Seine river. Looks like a great downtown location (anyway I haven´t been to Paris yet). So better check once again. I think you´d be perfectly fine with that hotel and won´t have any problems with the transfers.

steamboats

Thank you STeamboats. Yes, I did see that it is located near subway stations. Not being the most experienced European traveller (and not able to speak any French)....I was just a bit hesitant about utilizing the Paris subway system successfully. I thought perhaps a hotel where we could walk to most of the sights we want to see would be better. Altho, I'm not sure about navigating a 6 hour train trip from Trier to Paris either! :confused: Okay, I need to start being more adventurous and not worry about these sorts of things! :D

Hi again,

Check this website of the Paris public transport system:

http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/paris_visite.php

I´d say the Paris Visite ticket might be the easiest way to explore the town. It´s a day ticket which can be bought for 1, 2, 3 or 5 days. It might be available in your hotel too. For the zones check the "RER map" link. This map shows the zones. I think zone 1-3 should be enough for the downtown area (but I´m not familiar with Paris). For a single ticket check "Occasional Travelling". It´s 1.4 EUR (one way, changes are not allowed) or 10 EUR for a booklet (carnet) of 10 tickets (which have to be validated).

With a day ticket you don´t have to worry about how often you maybe want to use the metro or buses. That´s what I usually purchase when I´m using public transportation in another town than my hometown (if day tickets are available).

steamboats

Cant answer your question about the Paris hotel, but just wanted to add that in 6 trips to Europe and just about all major capitols, the Paris subway is the only place we were pickpocked. took about 20 sec. for someone to open up my wife's purse, take out the wallet, and throw in on the ground- they are very good- BE CAREFUL

Don,

Pickpockets are a problem in all major cities in Europe. It´s always a good advice not to carry all your valuables with you, not to wear a purse loosely around your shoulder, if you have a purse keep your hands on it, choose a purse at least with a zipper. If you´re wearing a backpack, don´t put your wallet in the outer compartment but in an inner one. Be careful in crowed areas like public transportation.

We do have warnings by the police each year for the Oktoberfest and the Christmas Markets in Munich. Within the last 28 years I´m living here fortunately I never had a problem. I saw pickpockets in Rome and Naples. Usually it was the fault of the people being not careful enough. No Roman man does have his wallet in the back pocket of his pants but maybe 80% of the tourists do.

If you follow some basic rules how to carry your stuff you won´t have any problems. Pickpockets do focus on those ones who are not careful and where they can get the money easily.

At leat usually you don´t have to fear to be robbed with a gun!

steamboats

Have to agree with Steamboats about pickpockets. We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and my husband actually intervened in a pickpocket attempt while it was happening to a woman in the Gothic Quarter. We were VERY aware of pickpockets and took all the precautions we possibly could. The lady who was being pickpocketed? Big OPENED purse hanging loosely at her side while she was taking pictures and not paying any attention at all to her belongings. Seeing an actual pickpocket in progress? Have to admit...they are VERY good! But, you just need to be aware of yourself, and your surroundings.

Archived