Harley's Car Rental :(

SunFunCruiser

The train from Anchorage to Whittier costs $58/adult and $29/child in 2007. I know you're traveling with your extended family, but it might not be much more than Avis's BIG drop-off fee for a one-way rental: http://www.akrr.com/pdf/2007E-Schedule.pdf

Checking an Avis one-day rental for Sept 6, 2007 - a fullsize car with ANC pick-up and Whittier drop-off is $230.94. It may be considerably less if you book way in advance for next summer.

Depending on how many people you are talking about, the Avis one-way fee might not seem that bad.

Another option depending on your schedule, when you are planning on getting to Whittier, etc., is to drop everyone including your own luggage in Whittier, then only the driver returning to Anchorage to drop off the car and take the $58 train back to Whittier. It is backtracking and can be a pain but if some, for instance, are taking a day cruise at 1.30pm out of Whittier that day anyway, one person could miss that to return the car. If you are planning on sightseeing on cruise day on the Kenai Peninsula or driving from some place north of Anchorage, just paying the drop fee is best. Figure it this way - your time in AK is short enough as it is, so to pay perhaps $230 for a one-day one-way car rental doesn't sound so bac - especially since you would have paid for one day picking up and returning to Anchorage anyway. I know these numbers are not totally accurate since you would have the car for longer than one day, but you get the picture.

Depending on how many people you are talking about, the Avis one-way fee might not seem that bad.

Another option depending on your schedule, when you are planning on getting to Whittier, etc., is to drop everyone including your own luggage in Whittier, then only the driver returning to Anchorage to drop off the car and take the $58 train back to Whittier. It is backtracking and can be a pain but if some, for instance, are taking a day cruise at 1.30pm out of Whittier that day anyway, one person could miss that to return the car. If you are planning on sightseeing on cruise day on the Kenai Peninsula or driving from some place north of Anchorage, just paying the drop fee is best. Figure it this way - your time in AK is short enough as it is, so to pay perhaps $230 for a one-day one-way car rental doesn't sound so bac - especially since you would have paid for one day picking up and returning to Anchorage anyway. I know these numbers are not totally accurate since you would have the car for longer than one day, but you get the picture.

I checked the one-day rate because at one time the OP talked about renting an RV for the land portion of her trip. I assumed the rental car was just to get from Anchorage to Whittier on sailing day.

If the OP is ending her land trip in Anchorage and dropping off the RV there, then taking the 10:00 a.m. train to Whittier isn't a big hassle. If it were me and the costs were comparable, I'd take the train for a different experience. Then everyone can enjoy the scenery, no gas tank to fill or tunnel toll to pay - or timing the tunnel just right.

We still plan on renting the Rv for the land tour to Denali, That will be May 30-June 4th. The rest of our party will arrive on the 4th. I planned on renting a car from the time we return the RV on the 4th until cruise time. This way we could sightsee on the 5th and the day of the cruise. So, the drop off fee would be worth it. I would have to pay for 3 adults and a chid for the train, so the drop off fee isn't that bad.

This trip just doesn't seem to be coming together for me. lol

It's so strange she said Avis is closed for the season in June?? Maybe the rates just aren't out yet. Guess worse case, is take fti's advice and one of us just comes back, then takes the train to the port.

I called the AVIS office in Whittier to find out when they open their 2007 rates. They told me that AVIS corporate controls when they open up. They "thought" it opens up in early February, 2007. And that all bookings have to be done through their website or toll free number, not by calling Whittier.

We still plan on renting the Rv for the land tour to Denali, That will be May 30-June 4th. The rest of our party will arrive on the 4th. I planned on renting a car from the time we return the RV on the 4th until cruise time. This way we could sightsee on the 5th and the day of the cruise. So, the drop off fee would be worth it. I would have to pay for 3 adults and a chid for the train, so the drop off fee isn't that bad.

For a two-day rental for 4 people, dropping off the car in Whittier is probably the most cost-effective way to go. Is the rest of your group also renting a car when they arrive, or were you going to rent a van?

This trip just doesn't seem to be coming together for me. lol

Can you keep the RV and return it the evening of the 5th? Even the smallest size is more comfortable than a car for 4. The company we rented our RV through allowed overnighting in the lot for our last evening, then we taxi'd to the airport (very early!). You could overnight in the RV on the lot, then taxi to the train station the morning of your cruise? The train transfer is fabulous.

For a two-day rental for 4 people, dropping off the car in Whittier is probably the most cost-effective way to go. Is the rest of your group also renting a car when they arrive, or were you going to rent a van?

They can't seem to make any decisions, lol So, I was just going to worry about my immediate family. The only thing I said I would do is pick them up at the airport on the 4th.

Can you keep the RV and return it the evening of the 5th? Even the smallest size is more comfortable than a car for 4. The company we rented our RV through allowed overnighting in the lot for our last evening, then we taxi'd to the airport (very early!). You could overnight in the RV on the lot, then taxi to the train station the morning of your cruise? The train transfer is fabulous.

I thought about that since the RV has to be returned by early morning and that is not going to happen on the 4th anyway. But, then I can't tour anywhere and teh cruise is the 6th, so I'm still w/o transportation.

I thought about that since the RV has to be returned by early morning and that is not going to happen on the 4th anyway. But, then I can't tour anywhere and teh cruise is the 6th, so I'm still w/o transportation.

I think sym1966 meant to hang on to the RV until the morning of the 6th, drop-off the RV, take a taxi to the train station, and take the 10:00 a.m. train to Whittier.

Is the touring you want to do in the Anchorage vicinity?

Archived