Luggage handling

Tikibird

Is it obligatory to have the staff load your luggage? We could easily manage ours ourselves-wheelie bag and a backpack. Just a little nervous about seeing that one hit the drink yesterday. I hope she didn't have cameras or a laptop in there, even her clothes must be ruined! :eek:

I don't know about carrying on but you can definitely take it off on the last day. On the American cruises you can, I would assume you can on ours.

I was considering putting my laptop/camera in the case so I don't have to carry them but certainly have reconsidered now. Lets hope it was a one off accident.

Is it obligatory to have the staff load your luggage? We could easily manage ours ourselves-wheelie bag and a backpack. Just a little nervous about seeing that one hit the drink yesterday. I hope she didn't have cameras or a laptop in there, even her clothes must be ruined! :eek:

However did they manage to do that?? i certainly hope my luggage will be safe!! i know i would be rather :mad: if that was my bag! I agree we should be able to take our own luggage aboard! would save time too!! Yes lets hope this was a one off accident!! :confused:

From memory your major cases had to go out by your door and your 'carry on' baggage, what you were going to wear the next day and last minute bits and pieces, was all you could have, otherwise I would have thorght everyone would be taking their own luggage which would then create a huge backlog of passengers and their luggage! lol

. I hope she didn't have cameras or a laptop in there, even her clothes must be ruined! :eek:

They do tell you to carry your valuables with you. I would never consider putting a laptop (not that I have one) or camera in my suitcase. Besides, you need your camera with you all the time:)

Karen

Is it obligatory to have the staff load your luggage? /QUOTE]

I dont think they can stop you loading your own luggage.

I have always understood it to be a union thing ,whereby portside handlers must load and unload luggage and not the crew of the ship.Also, when boarding, the luggage is probably put through a screening process behind the scenes and this would save a lot of time and hassle.

I have carried my own luggage off at times ,but only when I had a very early flight to catch.

I think P & O are more worried about the drink in the bag rather than the bag in the drink! People in our que whilst waiting to board were asked to take theri luggage to the baggage area to be taken aboard and now with security I think it is important that all bags are screened before going on board so I would be happy for all bags to go thru baggage

They may scan hand baggage in the same way as at airports (I'm only back 1 week and already I have forgotten embarkation!:D ) - if so, any bag has to be able to go through (ie. fit into) the scanner - getting off isn't a problem as they don't care what you have in it on leaving:)

By the way - its not that rare - I was speaking to someone on my recent cruise (UK embarkation) who's bag had been dunked:eek: she was still waiting for some of her electrical stuff back.

Karen

We got off the Sun on Wednesday. Every suitcase was unloaded from the trucks and put on the conveyor belt to be scanned and x-rayed. We watched them do this as we waited for our luggage. We was also stopped after getting of the ship and told to put our hand luggage on the floor. The dogs then sniffed our bags and went on to the next group. I don't think anyone got through without being stopped. This makes me wonder if they'll let you move your own luggage.

As far as taking your own luggage onboard, I think some guys said they took their own cases onboard for a 3 night cruise. I guess it is possible but this might only be because they didn't visit any ports.

It only took one hour to get our cases delivered to our room. I wouldn't put anything breakable in them. We carried the laptop and cameras as hand luggage. Also make sure you have plastic bags around your shampoos and conditioners etc. They seem to be rough with the cases. A small section of my bag was torn and my shampoo leaked.

Also make sure you have plastic bags around your shampoos and conditioners etc. They seem to be rough with the cases. A small section of my bag was torn and my shampoo leaked.

A very important tip especially for people not used to travelling. I am a frequent traveller for work and leisure and I always have my shampoo & conditioner plus any other liquids in my case in zip lock bags. It only takes once for your shampoo to leak all over your clothes for you to make that choice.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Don't count on them being there when you board or even in an hour. Only once to P&O's credit we had a bag not turn up till about 8pm at night.

When we boarded Pacific Star in March our luggage was waiting for us in our cabin - but we'd checked it in at 8.00 in the morning at Roma St, so it had probably been taken out to the ship and loaded quite early. Only once have I had something go astray - and that was my suit bag on Pacific Sky, and only because the luggage label had fallen off, I eventually found it waitng for me in the purser's lounge - which was only 3 cabins away so I didn't have far to go!!!

Kym

I think we checked our luggage in at around 1-2pm at roma street, then we were on board by 3ish and our luggage was sitting just at the base of our beds. it was a small thing but nice none the less. overall i was pretty impressed by the speedy service of the staff. i think they managed to get nearly every ones luggage into their rooms before they boarded.

Archived