Reason to check newly purchased fashions before cruising

cassidyk

Just wanted to give everyone another reason to check or try any new clothes you have purchased before you set sail. Just this morning I was trying on a new cocktail dress I purchased months ago for our cruise Sept 3rd to decide what shoes I was going to wear and found the security tag still attached!

So now off to the mall I go to get it removed. It should be interesting to see if the alarm goes off on my way back in since it didn't go off on my way out!

Yikes!! Cassidy, it's probably too late to help you, but let me pass on some things I learned while working retail in my college days.

First, the tags you find on clothing are usually not meant to trigger alarms. They are often filled with glass vials of blue and red ink that will explode if you try to force them off -- the idea being that if you swipe it from the store, you won't be able to wear it or re-sell it, so your motivation is gone. Also, lots of people think that they will set off alarms, which is another good deterrent. Sooooo, what does this mean for the law-abiding consumer? Just that you can't rely on the store alarms to catch the mistake if it's not removed.

Also, if you call the store and make a big enough stink, you can usually get a manger to take the portable unit out to your house and remove it for you. The salesperson responsible usually feels the manager's wrath over it, but at least they don't make the same mistake for a good long time!

Last, if you happen to have access to a really powerful magnet, you can often get them off yourself. Just place the base of the unit on the magnet, and the top should lift right off.

Now let's just hope I haven't told any potential shoplifters how to pull off a successful clothing heist!! You know those CC'ers, a rather shifty bunch . . . :cool:

Too bad...that happened to me last week at Macy's...were you by any chance shopping their great dress sale?

Another reason to try everything on...I tossed my little black knit cocktail dress in my suitcase for my last cruise only to find out it no longer fit! Formal Night was not a good time to find out I am getting too fat.

At least you had it removed. My SIL bought a sundress and did not pay attention to the security tag. However, she chose to wear it anyway and to this day continues to do so. And you can well imagine, she is quite fashion challenged:o .

Once I bought a gorgeous formal on sale in NYC during my semi annual visit there. It was a couple of months before I took it out intending to pack it for a cruise. By that time, I had long thrown away the receipt. It was a really big hassle to ship it back and have it removed. I am much more careful these days!

Oh I hate when that happens. Macy's is the biggest problem around here. I have had to return at least 5 different occasions in the past few years. They just don't pay attention. And I even tell them to make sure they take all of the tags off. They swear they do. And then don't. :rolleyes:

I had the exact same problem - from Macys! I bought a gorgous black cocktail dress for our TA last Nov - just loved the dress 'cause it made me look thin (:D ) - went to put it on for cocktail party that night on the ship and there was that @#%^& security thingie hanging under my arm! As it was a sleevless dress, no way you could wear it and it was a wee bit uncomfortable as well! My DH called down to the desk to ask to borrow a pair of plyers - you know macho man - he could get it off with no damage to the dress - ha! But the desk person said they run into this all the time and that the dye pak would explode and then I couldn't even return the dress. So, I wore something else that night and returned the dress to Macys when I got home - the saleslady hinted that it was "my" responsibility to check it had been taken off before I left the store! Of my, talk about "customer no service"!! I wanted to keep the dress for another time 'cause very seldom do you find the dress that makes you look so thin...........but she made me so mad that I just got a total refund and left - no more shopping at Macys for me!

Am I the only person who launders or dry cleans clothes as soon as I get them? I can't tolerate the sizing or the smell in new clothes and feel like they just aren't very clean :o it makes me squirm even to try new stuff on in the dressing room. I think it has to do with my very first job, working in a small clothing store and receiving merch., tagging and hanging the stuff up. There seems to be loose threads and fabric dust left in the clothes after manufacturing, I have to check every garment over thoroughly.

But, I have had security tags left on. The worst was when I was approached by two sales people on my way back in to the store, to have the tag removed. So, make sure you have your receipt! Another time, I had to return to the sales counter not once, but twice, as the jeans I had purchased had 3 tags on them!

Perhaps it's not such a bad idea to check each garment before leaving the store. Although it's not our job, it's the responsibility of the sales person/cashier, it sure is a hassle to return like that.

Am I the only person who launders or dry cleans clothes as soon as I get them? I can't tolerate the sizing or the smell in new clothes and feel like they just aren't very clean

I loathe dry cleaning anything and try to wash everything I own except for my cashmere sweaters and wool suits. The dry cleaning smell to me is worse than the new clothes smell.

I've never walked out of a store with a security tag on that didn't set off the alarm.

I loathe dry cleaning anything and try to wash everything I own except for my cashmere sweaters and wool suits. The dry cleaning smell to me is worse than the new clothes smell.

I've never walked out of a store with a security tag on that didn't set off the alarm.

I usually end up washing everything, too, you're right about the dry cleaning smell. Unless laundering will shrink, I'll hand wash stuff that says dry clean only. I have to use fragrance free detergent and fabric softener, the smell of fragranced anything that makes me crazy.

I don't know how in the world I walked out of the store and did not set off the alarm, but the clerk says it happens a lot.

Well it should be interesting taking the dress back to the store to have the tag removed because I don't have my receipt anymore. The dress still has the tags, is on the store hanger, in the store plastic garment bag so hopefully they won't give me too much trouble. I didn't have any plans to return it because it was a good price and it is one of those makes you look skinny dresses so I didn't anticipate needing the receipt. So we will have to see.....

But it wasn't Macy's this time. :-)

Oh I hate when that happens. Macy's is the biggest problem around here. I have had to return at least 5 different occasions in the past few years. They just don't pay attention. And I even tell them to make sure they take all of the tags off. They swear they do. And then don't. :rolleyes:

So sorry to hear that - It looks like I won't be shopping at Marshall Field's - oops I mean Macy's - anymore. At Marshall Field's I was used to good service. If this is what happens when it becomes Macy's, I guess that is one credit card that won't be used.

Well it should be interesting taking the dress back to the store to have the tag removed because I don't have my receipt anymore. The dress still has the tags, is on the store hanger, in the store plastic garment bag so hopefully they won't give me too much trouble. I didn't have any plans to return it because it was a good price and it is one of those makes you look skinny dresses so I didn't anticipate needing the receipt. So we will have to see.....

But it wasn't Macy's this time. :-)

cassidy- why don't you call the store first and explain the problem. Also mark down the name of the person you spoke with along with the date and time.

Pat.

Archived