Oosterdam, new ship for me

k8russ8

My friend and I are going to sail on Oosterdam Nov 11th to Mexico . I have sailed countless times. any info on this ship would be greatly appreciated. I am in # 8034. Is there any chance of a bump up on embarcation?

Island Breeze

Niew Amsterdam

Volendam

Veendam

Star Princess

RCCL Grandeur x2

RCCL Rhapsody x2

RCCL Mariner x2

Carnival Pride

Celebrity Mercury

Celebrity Infinity

Celebrity Constellation

Celebrity Zenith

Raddison

Seaborn Pride

Ryandam

Crystal Symphany x2

The Oosterdam is a LOVELY ship, well maintained and crewed! I've been aboard her twice, have loved my cruises aboard her both times, and would gladly go again! I don't know about one's chances of an upgrade ... in general, however, I wouldn't count on it. The cruises on this itinerary usually book solid.

My photos of the Oosterdam -- including a photo tour of the ship -- can be found here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/oosterdam05/Menu43.html

My review of my first cruise aboard her can be read here:

http://www.revneal.org/oostreview.html

Have a great cruise aboard her!

I have to agree with Greg, the Oosterdam always goes out full plus you are going over a Holiday weekend when many just extend the weekend to a week. I would believe that will be one full ship. I too love the Oosterdam, we have sailed on her 3 times with a 4th coming up this March and probably number 5 in December 2007. She is our favorite of the HAL ships. There is just a certain good feeling for us when we walk across that gangway. You will most definitely have a great time. You can view my pictures as well. Two of the albums are from the Mexican Riviera and the other Oosterdam is Alaska.I think this itinerary is one of the best. All three ports have a lot to do and are clean relatively safe ports. It is nice that you have one sea day going down with two sea days coming back to really relax you.:D

Lisa, your posts and those of RevNeal were the reason we are choosing Oosterdam for our Oct. 6th cruise. So I have a further question for you, and RevNeal if you'd also like to comment, As someone who has been on many HAL ships what has made Oosterdam standout as your favorite?

Oosterdam is a grand ship - but the main reason she's one of my favorites are the people who serve on her. James Deering is simply The Best Hotel Manager - he instills in his staff a sense of graciousness and pride in their customer service work that makes cruising on her an amazing experience.

Once Oosterdam receives the rest of her SOE updates, she may well end up being tops on my favorite list again.

BTW - The likelihood of getting a free upgrade when you have a specific stateroom number is minimal. You might get an offer to pay for an upgrade closer in to your sailing date tho.

The Oosterdam is a LOVELY ship, well maintained and crewed! I've been aboard her twice, have loved my cruises aboard her both times, and would gladly go again! I don't know about one's chances of an upgrade ... in general, however, I wouldn't count on it. The cruises on this itinerary usually book solid.

My photos of the Oosterdam -- including a photo tour of the ship -- can be found here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/oosterdam05/Menu43.html

My review of my first cruise aboard her can be read here:

http://www.revneal.org/oostreview.html

Have a great cruise aboard her!

Hi Revneal,

My wife and I are on the 11/11 mexico cruise. We saw theat you did the swimming with the dolphins! We are thinking about doing it as well, but are not sure the better spot to do it at....PV or Cabo. Do you know why PV's s.w.t.d. is 3.5 hrs and Cabo's is 1.5hrs? Do they have a bus to pick you up and take you back to the ship? Regards, 4139

Lisa, your posts and those of RevNeal were the reason we are choosing Oosterdam for our Oct. 6th cruise. So I have a further question for you, and RevNeal if you'd also like to comment, As someone who has been on many HAL ships what has made Oosterdam standout as your favorite?

I think Brian answered one of the number one reasons and that is James Deering as Hotel Manager but it goes back prior to Mr. Deering being back with HAL. Even when Henk Mensink was H/M, there is just something about the Oosterdam.Even when we were last on her this past Feb. there was a Matri'd that had been on all three of the sailing we had with her, while he had never been our Matri'd he remembered us. There are just so many more familiar smiling faces on this chip. Also the crew like the Oosterdam a lot, even when Julie was here she admitted that there was just a good feeling among the crew about the Oosterdam. I just wish I had more time I could take for vacations, if so I would be on the Oosterdam out of San Diego every other month:D

Hi Revneal,

My wife and I are on the 11/11 mexico cruise. We saw theat you did the swimming with the dolphins! We are thinking about doing it as well, but are not sure the better spot to do it at....PV or Cabo. Do you know why PV's s.w.t.d. is 3.5 hrs and Cabo's is 1.5hrs? Do they have a bus to pick you up and take you back to the ship? Regards, 4139

I see that Greg is on line and he may still answer but if I am not mistaken the Swim with the Dolphins in Cabo is much closer to the pier so it does not take as long to get there. Also the swim in Cabo is actually only 30 minutes in length where the one in P.V. is approx an hour. Also I have never been to the one in Cabo and I might just try it to compare in November (we will be there on my B-Day on the Zaandam;) ) I am guessing that there is not as much to do in the one in Cabo and that when you swim is over you leave. The one in PV lets you stay around for a while and review the pictures and video and walk around the grounds.

I could be totally wrong so if I am maybe someone else can explain. I really liked the one in PV and thought they did a very professional job and that they took very good care of the dolphins. The dolphins also seemed extremely happy and really enjoyed the interaction. I would highly recommend.:)

I really liked the one in PV and thought they did a very professional job and that they took very good care of the dolphins. The dolphins also seemed extremely happy and really enjoyed the interaction. I would highly recommend.:)

I did a full-day "trainer" program in PV while on a land vacation last year, and I agree with Lisa...they really take good care of the dolphins; all the trainers and personnel I met there were very specific about the care given, the monitoring of their diets and health issues, etc. And the dolphins seemed very active and happy. Most of the dolphins there have been raised in captivity, although they had a very few that had been rescued from various areas....

Sorry I don't know the difference in the Cabo & PV swims, though. The PV site is not far from the pier; probably only 10 minutes or so...

Paul

We are thinking about doing it as well, but are not sure the better spot to do it at....PV or Cabo. Do you know why PV's s.w.t.d. is 3.5 hrs and Cabo's is 1.5hrs? Do they have a bus to pick you up and take you back to the ship? Regards, 4139

I loved it in PV. Yes, it was a further drive (by large passenger van) than SD's, but the facilities were wonderful and the time spent in the pool with the dolphins was longer. I had heard comparisons between them and my experience matched the comparison that showed the PV swim to be excellent.

It's a very nice cruise ... I look forward to making it again in the future (though WHEN that will be is up in the air).

Thank you Brian, Lisa and Greg our CC group will be sure to give warmest regards to Mr. Deering for you.

If I remember Cabo correctly, the place where they were going to be building the dolphin facility is about a 5-10 minute walk from the pier where the tenders frop you off. That probably saves about 45minutes to an hour off the PV trip. I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures of the Cabo facility and post them so eveeryone can compare.

We must have been one of the lucky ones because were were upgraded from a SZ to a SS for our trip in May to Alaska.

Oosterdam was great: rooms, service, food, entertainment and most of all the cruise staff. This was our fifth cruise, the second with HAL and the best yet. We were so impressed that come Nov. we will be checking into the Zuiderdam.

Missygirl:)

Archived