Tipping for upgrades

Spinner101

Is it possible and has it been done that upon check in at the terminal to slip money to someone to get upgrades on cabins?

Nope. Most ships sail full and you will see the sign that says "FULL SHIP NO UPGRADES"... most upgrades are given out prior to sailing... bribery isn't going to help you :D Spend the money ahead of time and pay for the upgrade, you might get a deal!!

The problem is that I am goin on a theme cruise through a third party company an a single I'm already getting hosed on the price of the cabin for a balcony at $2,850.

:eek: Would you like to share which ship? The highest rate for a balcony that I see is around $1300. Going solo, yep, you'll pay 200% for a balcony....but that's still less than your amount. Are you including charges for other things charged to you by your group? Airfare?

You could always change you cabin to a 1A. LOL

When you book a theme cruise, most likely all cabins that the company received will be filled. If they chartered the ship, don't count on any possible changes since they are making all of the room assignments. Must be a fantastic cruise if you are paying that kind of price for a theme cruise. Which one are you taking?

The problem is that I am goin on a theme cruise through a third party company an a single I'm already getting hosed on the price of the cabin for a balcony at $2,850.

You aren't getting hosed... you chose to go with a balcony, on a theme cruise which is generally much more... and pay the 200%. If you want the upgrade, you are going to have to pay for it, unless you went with a guarantee

...maybe you can pick up some free cheese downtown...

Sorry, my sarcasm is out of control today:eek:

:eek: ...again!

I'm looking at recent pricing, and a balcony cabin on Conquest shows $849. Double for you would be $1698...so I don't understand, unless your AAI group is charging you a LOT for the special cruise....like well over $1,000 more than your cabin actually costs.

Sure hope you enjoy it.

:eek: ...again!

I'm looking at recent pricing, and a balcony cabin on Conquest shows $849. Double for you would be $1698...so I don't understand, unless your AAI group is charging you a LOT for the special cruise....like well over $1,000 more than your cabin actually costs.

Sure hope you enjoy it.

Cotton, generally theme cruises charge quite a bit more. We have several groups booked on the same cruise as us in October, and their group pricing was $3-400 per person more than ours.

HOLY MOLY!!! That seems OUTRAGEOUS!! I think i'd FIND A FRIEND QUICK!!

We have a balcony on the Pride and I thought $975 pp including our conference was STEEP!

We pay just a tad over that for both hubby and I when we cruise together - we always get a suite.

You might check into that more....GOOD LUCK!

Cotton, generally theme cruises charge quite a bit more. We have several groups booked on the same cruise as us in October, and their group pricing was $3-400 per person more than ours.

I understand the theme cruise deal, BUT... This would be $1152 more for him as a solo than the regular solo balcony rate. (W/roomie, it would be $576 more.) That's still a chunka change his group is adding on!

I hope he realizes that the only 'hosing' he's getting is from his group, certainly not from Carnival.:)

In answer to your question, which no one has done yet, Yes, it is possible.

Having said that it is very unlikely for all the reasons stated above.

Tell me how that would happen? A corporation taking a bribe?? Now, the question wasn't "can I purchase an upgrade at the pier", which VERY VERY RARELY can happen and if it does happen, won't be cheap... it was "can I slip someone some money", which is bribery, and I don't see that happening... the people you would have to actually "bribe", you would not be able to get to, and I just don't see it happening.

I understand the theme cruise deal, BUT... This would be $1152 more for him as a solo. (W/roomie, it would be $576 more.) That's still a chunka change.

I hope he realizes that the only 'hosing' he's getting is from his group, certainly not from Carnival.:)

I know... I've seen some of those theme cruises, and I would NEVER pay those prices!!!! But to each their own I guess!!

You are not getting ripped off. You are paying for the different bands. If the ship is chartered then the upgraded cost is for the cost of the bands and the rooms the band members use.

If the ship is not chartered then what is supposed to happen is there will be areas of the ship that will be for your group only. Gets kinda messy when there are regular druisers and cruises on a theme cruise.

Most theme cruises include more than just "bands", they usually include cocktail parties, autograph sessions, jam sessions etc. It's up to the person what it is worth to be on these theme cruises.

I have seen recently that Tim McGraw will be on the Liberty and I can't imagine what those rates are like. I signed up just for the info and haven't received it yet.

Whatever you decide, go on a cruise and have a great time!

I'm thinkin that maybe the bands will actually play in my room every night! Or at least they should. I'm on the fence and thinking of cancelling and rebooking and buying a ipod with a bunch of smooth jazz songs.

Spin, I've got to give it to you, your attitude is awesome, as well as your ability to take a joke and throw some out yourself. Hosed or not, you seem like the type of person I think a lot of us wouldn't mind cruising with:)

Archived