Freedom 8/20/06 - Just Back

FRANKM

Thanks so much for a thorough review. We will be sailing FOS in December. I have a question about Labadee. We were there about 5 years ago. The huge water slide and water trampoline seem to be new. Do you need to purchase a special ticket for each of these in order to use them, and if so is there a specific time on the ticket? Do they still have the jetskis for rental? Please post the site when you download the daily compasses - I find those so informative.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Hi Frank:

Thanks for the great review. We'll be on the Freedom for the New Years Eve cruise this year and we're also staying at the Intercontinental, so I wondered how that hotel was. Did you ask for a room with a view or did they just give it to you?

I'm also "pushing 60" and I won't be trying the flow rider, but I'll be watching. This will be our 40th cruise and about 14 on RCCL, and with it being a New Years Eve cruise, I'm getting really excited. I think it will be a great cruise. This is the only cruise, where I haven't been excited about the shore excursions. We're mainly go for the ship this time and not the itinerary. I've been to Labadee several times, but not since they've added the water park. It's always the best part of the cruise...not to be missed, in my opinion.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita);)

Sparkle10

Intercontinental was great. I will definately stay

there again. Booked Deluxe Harbor view.

Lots of little amenities even down to a toothbrush and razor.

We also went primarily for the ship. No excursions booked.

Yep, looks like my flowrider days are over. Oh well, I had

a good run. LOL

Goldenzoo

Plenty of Jet Skiis available. Do it through ship or when

you are there. You might have to reserve a time though

Price was the same.

Not sure about the Slide and Trampoline. We were down

aways from the waterpark. We stayed at Barefoot beach

and didnt do any watersports.

Cdn Trekkie

Right you are. Lots of handywork available at the string

of stands and at the craft center. Barter galore.

Goldenzoo

Plenty of Jet Skiis available. Do it through ship or when

you are there. You might have to reserve a time though

Price was the same.

I would suggest reserving the jet skis ahead of time. My huband and daughters waited until we got to Labadee and they were completely booked.

I would suggest reserving the jet skis ahead of time. My huband and daughters waited until we got to Labadee and they were completely booked.

I agree. We had ours reserved before we got on the ship, but we saw several people being told they were "sold out" also.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I finished scanning a complete set of compasses in color through departure day. Uploaded them (PDF files) to Cruisedailies. Took a while. Guess they will put it together and post them on their site. Hopefully I did it right.

Frank

The closer we get to cruise time (9-24-06)..the more I want to know, so I am grateful to you and others that take the time to write with such detail.

I have been on one other cruise, had a great time but the coffee was really, really, really bad. I don't drink tons of coffee, but what I drink, I want to be good, actually great. So...my question is...how is the coffee?

Lizzee

Hi Lizzee

I am a heavy coffee drinker. I did not find the coffee on Freedom

to be bad at all. Seemed a little tastier at the Royal Promenade cafe.

Nice and hot. Maybe it's the cardboard cup. In fact, that was my first stop for morning coffee. 7am I would get a cup at the Promenade cafe and go up to deck 11 to sit quietly on the loungers and read my compass and sip my coffee. You can always get a cappacino or Latte, any flavor, if you want it. May be more flavorful but you pay for it. The windjammer coffee seemed a little weak at times, but that's my taste. Others might have a different opinion. Dining room coffee was good but never seemed hot enough. Put in some cold milk and you have lukewarm coffee.

Enjoy your cruise. You are getting close.

FRANKM

thanks for the reply regarding the buckets of beer

I'd never heard of Cruisedailies until you said you would be posting there. Massive thanks as i didn't even know that it existed. Cruise critic is the only site I use - are you aware or did you use any other sites before your cruise.

we sail on freedom in November

thanks again

Frank

The closer we get to cruise time (9-24-06)..the more I want to know, so I am grateful to you and others that take the time to write with such detail.

I have been on one other cruise, had a great time but the coffee was really, really, really bad. I don't drink tons of coffee, but what I drink, I want to be good, actually great. So...my question is...how is the coffee?

Lizzee

Lizzie, come join our Meet & Mingle thread. We have a great group going. :D

Thanks for the review and taking the time to scan everything. Can't wait until they pop up. Last person to do that was the 6/18 cruise and were curious what has changed as they worked out the kinks.

Thanks again!

Dawna

Meet & Mingle was on Monday at Oliver and Twist at 5pm. Out of 41 signed up, only about 10 or so attended. Was nice chatting with some of the cruise critc people. Very inconvenient time though since this is formal night,

but guess you cant have everything. They raffled off the RCCL mouse and gave out the plastic water cases as gifts.

Sounds similiar to our Meet & Mingle. Almost 50 people sign up and only 8 people come. I think maybe because the Meet & Mingle was on Formal Night at 5 PM, a very weird time. We got plastic cases to .......they said it could keep money or something like that.

The first time I played Bingo I won $206 on Surf Night. :) I normally never win bingo, we bought the $25 dollar package. Bingo is so expensive! $25 or $35 for the cards. Most people got $35 cards. We told someone at home that I won Bingo and they were like how much are the bingo cards? $10?

Was James Andrews still cruise director? Carlos Pedercini was captain when I was on. I heard Erik Tengelson took over.

Many thanks for the review, most helpful. We're just 7 weeks away from leaving the UK en-route to Miami. We're also staying at the Intercontinental (fancied a change from the Holiday Inn we've used before opposite Bayside Marketplace).

Good to hear that Portofino's and Chops are as good as ever as I can't wait to make reservations for these. Just deciding which nights to go is the problem.

Has anyone used Vintages? We enjoy the occasional glass or two of wine!

Thanks again.

intothevoid:

Karaoke was held in the On-air club Deck 3. Passed by but

never got to view much of what was going on. They had

several sessions for families, kids and adults only and from

what I saw, everyone was having a good time.

I posted the compasses so you can check out the days

and times each event was held.

intothevoid:

Karaoke was held in the On-air club Deck 3. Passed by but

never got to view much of what was going on. They had

several sessions for families, kids and adults only and from

what I saw, everyone was having a good time.

I posted the compasses so you can check out the days

and times each event was held.

Thanks Frank. I will be one of those people having fun come November 12th. Thanks again for your great review.

Archived