Freedom 8/20/06 - Just Back

FRANKM

Flew into Miami Intl Airport. Cost $26 by metered taxi to the hotel.

We stayed at the Intercontinental at Chopin Plaza. Hotel was terrific.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. Our first time at this hotel and I

would definately stay there again. Food was kind of pricey. The

breakfast buffet was $19. We had a room on the 34th floor with

a fantastic view of the port and within walking distance to Bayside Marketplace, actually just a short walk along the same sea wall. Area was nice. Walked around Bayside and had dinner at Los Ranchos. Good Latin restaurant and worth a visit.

Beautiful view of Freedom from the hotel room on Sunday morning. Took

a cab to the port around 11:15am. Was $6 for a few minutes. Very hectic and crowded as buses were unloading but we found a porter and got the bags loaded. The walk through the security checkpoint to the check in area was pretty quick.

If you have the Set Sail form or were Plantinum/Diamond or had a suite, there

was very littlle waiting on line. The problem came after check in. The

previous sailing still had not fully debarked. Never found out why, but I

suspect there were insufficient Customs/Immigration people to process the crowd as was the case when we debarked.

There were announcements made that boarding would be delayed possibly to

2pm. They handed out numbered tickets and announced that boarding would

be done in numbered groups. We had group number 5. Announcements were

made that debarking was complete and we started boarding. We were on the ship by 12:45pm. Not a terribly long time but of course everyone was anxious to board.

We had a JS - #9326 on deck 9. We could not enter the cabin area until 1pm so we went down to deck 5 to check out the Royal Promenade. Stopped by Sorrentos for some pizza. Pizza was not too bad, actually better then previous Voyager class ships I was on. We loved Sorrentos. Good desserts, and a nice selection of antipasto, breads, and Italian sandwiches. This was good addition to the ship.

Went up to the cabin a 1:30. When we entered, the WOW factor kicked in. I have been in a JS several times on Voyager class ships but this was really nice. Seemed much bigger, (I did not go around measuring things) but there was a flat panel TV over the desk area which really frees up some space, high back chair with ottoman, walk in closet, sofa bed, sliding doors to

the balcony, full side window, bathtub, plenty of storage. The best treat....the bed!! Royal has really added some good bedding. Very comfortable pillows and mattress pads, comforter and sheets. The balcony was larger with plenty of room for two chairs, small table, high back lounger with foot rest. Panels between balconies are sort of frosted glass or plexiglass so you can see shadows of people next door. They appear

to be sliding doors that , if requested, can be opened to the next balcony. They dont go fully to the ceilings so you can hear people in next balcony. High glass panel at the railing so you can see into the water. Very airy and bright balcony. Cabin had a safe (put in your own 4 digit number type), small refrigerator (never really cold, just a little cool) stocked with sodas, water and candies. Empty it on request if you wish. I ususally dont. Hey,

Iam on vacation. If I want a bottle of water or soda at 1am, I take it and pay for it.

The ship is laid out pretty much as a Voyager class. No problem finding things. In the Royal Promenade, Sorrentos is at one end, Promonade Cafe at the other end...fore and aft as they say. Ben and Jerrys has its' own location. They added the Barber shop, and Get out There store. Both of these seemed to get spotty use, at least when I was around. The General Store, Logo shop, Perfume store, Jewelery store are pretty much the same.

The staff on this ship were the best I have had in 5 cruises. They really went out of their way. We had Monika (Poland) and Roy (Costa Rica) in the dining room. They were soooo good and helpful. "V" (India) was our head waiter and came around every evening to check on things. Katta was our room attendant. She was very good and kept the cabin clean and comfortable. Monika even arranged a waiter friend at Portofinos (Carlos) to be our waiter. He got us a table for 5 right next to the window and really took care of us.

I really didnt have many issues with the food. Had breakfast at the Windjammer everyday. The first station is Jade. If you like noodles and fried rice for breakfast then stop here. Otherwise move down to the next station for more selections. Typical breakfast fare.

People got pretty confused over the addition of individual stations off the line. Lots of wandering around, but most of them had the same selections. The layout seemed a little disorganized.

Had lunch once in the Windjammer and it was ok. Meats, chicken, rice, pasta, salads etc.

Dinning room had decent food although there appears IMHO (no, Iam not switching to Celebrity or Raddison) to be a little less quality and choice. Presentations were good. DW ordered roast duck as she always does when

available. Usually got breast meat. Now its thigh and leg which was very overcooked and dried out. Maybe the luck of the draw. Big deal. Send it back and get something else.

Lobster night was Friday. Was good. Desserts were delicious. There is enough variety so we didnt go hungry. We had shrimp ravioli, surf and turf, mahi mahi, peach soup. pumpkin apple soup amongst others. Forget about the Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup. I was hard pressed to find a piece of chicken or a noodle for that matter. But the broth was good and heavily gingered. Order any number of selections of anything you want.

Went to both Portofinos and Chops. This is a must!! Food was absolutely to die for. Well worth the $20 per person. Service is immaculate. Made our reservations when we got on the ship.

Tried the flowrider. (Iam pushing 60 but still going). Lines were not too long on the second day. I lasted all of 5 seconds on the stand up version. Be careful!! While the surface is soft, you can land hard. I landed on my

back, neck whipped back and got a good neck sprain. Gave me an excuse to get a massage. $89 special, Reflexology and Massage for 25 mins put me back in shape.

Shows were ok. Comedians, magician, impressionist, acrobats. Royal Caribbean dancers and singers are very good and we always make it a point to catch their show. Decent entertainment.

Krooz-Comics were around. We get a kick out of their slap-stick antics. They were the same ones we saw twice on Adventure of the Seas several years ago. The Ice show is very good and worth the time.

Formal nights were Monday and Thursday. This was switched from Monday and Friday.

The gala buffet on Friday was switched to the Dining room from the Windjammer.

Somewhere along the line there was a buffet on deck 11 which we attended.

Very good and a nice variety.

There were two C&A events. One for repeat guests and the other for Platinum/Diamond members. Missed both of them unfortunately. Also, we received picture frames as C&A gifts.

Meet & Mingle was on Monday at Oliver and Twist at 5pm. Out of 41 signed up, only about 10 or so attended. Was nice chatting with some of the cruise critc people. Very inconvenient time though since this is formal night,

but guess you cant have everything. They raffled off the RCCL mouse and gave out the plastic water cases as gifts.

We spent some time at Boleros. Adrianne, one of the bartenders was hilarious. Did magic tricks, juggling liquor bottles, balancing full drink glasses. He make a great Mojito also. He had one of those trick ketchup bottles. Squirted it at DW so it looked like a stream of ketchup was coming at her new evening gown. The look of horror on her face..LOL.

4,000 people on the ship. Was crowded at times during peak hours like shows letting out, pool area on sea days, windjammer around 9am, parade. Other times it wasnt as bad as I anticipated. Forget about the Cantilevered hot tubs on sea days. We couldnt get in them it was so crowded. The morning hours were best for this and they were great when we got to use them.

The biggest issue......ELEVATORS. They were really bad. If you took them at 7am, no problem. Otherwise, it took forever. They skipped floors many times. They dont seem to be programmed correctly. It was not uncommon to wait 5 mins for an elevator only to have it skip past (yes, I pressed

the button) either empty or with a few people on them. Many times, we just gave up and used the stairs. (not the worst thing). Quite a few times all the buttons were pushed. Kids like to do this. Saw one young fellow get a real whack in the head from his mother while he got caught doing this.

The biggest waste of space is the boxing ring. Never saw anyone using it. Wonder how long it will last.

Sent laundry out around day 5. The best thing. Not really too expensive but

they do a good job at it and its very convenient. Comes back the next day all ironed and folded.

Ports were ok. We did not plan any excursions opting to take it easy this time.

Cozumel was nice although it rained the morning we got there. Tendering to the center of town was ok and wasnt much of a problem. We shopped a little then had lunch at Panchos Backyard at Cinco Los Soles. Great food and music. Bought some Tequila here...Don Julio brand, $34 for 780 ml. Ship security scanned my bag when we got back on. Took the bottle from me and had it delivered the last day to my cabin. Not a big deal. They were very apologetic about it.

Georgetown Grand Cayman was good. We took a cab to 7 mile beach for $4 each. Let us off at Royal Palms beach. Not the greatest. Crowded and kind of run down. We walked up maybe a quarter mile to Beach Club Colony. Very nice. We rented chairs and umbrellas for $10. Chair attendant set us up

at a nice spot and gave us 5 free drink tickets. I think this is where the excursion booked through the ship takes you. Many Freedom people with coupons for lunch and drinks. They had food, drinks, watersports including snorkeling, parasailing, jet skiis, motorboats. Jet ski rentals were $65 for half hour. Nice clean beach. Cabs, were available to take us back to the tender area. Would go back again.

Didnt do much in Jamaica. Just went across to the shopping mall at the port in the morning. Not too much hasseling other than offers for taxis and tours. Shop owners try their best to get you into the stores but back off with a polite no thanks. There were many

who didnt get off the ship at all. Heard a few stories of the usual drug offers in Montego Bay and at the beaches from those who did. Otherwise, uneventful. We used the morning and afternoon to go to pool and hot tubs on the ship and take advantage of the spa discounts. Very relaxing time.

Labadee was our favorite place. First time there. We went to Barefoot beach, a got a nice shady spot just off the beach. Really terrific. Rented some water mats and just

relaxed. Lunch was served by the Crafts center and I think also set up at another area. Nice lunch of ribs, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, salads, cakes, fruit punch. Large covered area with picnic tables was available. In addition, there were shows put on by local groups. There is a tram that takes you around to the different areas. We rode it around and found the whole place to be very impressive. Plenty to do or not to do as you see fit. Plenty of bar huts and servers roaming the beaches. Restrooms were clean. Would love to go back there again.

For debarkation, we had beige color tickets. Dont know why I got this early color since I didnt have a flight. Could get off at 7:15am. I was in no rush since we were driving to Orlando from Miami using Alamo Rental car. We had a leisurely breakfast in the Dining room at 7:30 and left the cabin about 8:30. It took maybe 45 minutes to get to Customs/Immigration. Line was long and there were not enough agents to process the crowd although it started to move when we got closer. Guess they put more on. Once we got to the agent, it only took two minutes to check and stamp

passports and declaration forms. Non US citizens seemed to take the most time.

Bags were on the carrosel when we got there. Porter took bags and brought us to the rental car shuttle area. We waited about 1/2 hour for the Alamo shuttle to come.

All in all, this was a great cruise. The ship is impressive and the service just terrific. Too much to do. You dont have to twist my arm to go back that's for sure.

Sorry if this is lengthy, duplicates or conflicts with other reviews or

does not cover more specifics. Everything is still a blur.

Anything not covered, just ask.

Frank

Thanks so much for the thorough review! We are staying at the Intercontinental the night before our cruise, too. We are looking for a good Cuban restaurant nearby. Did you happen to notice one? (I know you said that you ate at a "Latin" restaurant. Did they have Cuban food?)

I have a question aboug Grand Cayman: I was considering going to Royal Palms on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. I am sorry to hear that you don't recommend it. Did you think that Beach Club Colony got too crowded? I have read that it gets crowded because of all of the excursions that go there. Did you try any of the food there? I am also considering going to Sea Grape Beach. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks again for the great review! It made me even more excited about my upcoming cruise, and I didn't even know that was possible. :)

Wolfcathorse: Yes the Captain was Erik Tengelsen. Wasnt really

too noticeable around the ship. Only saw him at Portafinos with

his staff (they say he loves the place), and at the reception. Otherwise

he was invisable.

CruisingKhi: You will love the Intercontinental. If you havent previously

been there, also try the pool bar on the 4th floor. Really nice view

and very comfortable.

Royal Palms was not too nice IMHO. We only stopped there because

when we exited the tender station, a cab driver was holding a sign

listing it and a few other places. We figured why not. So he stopped there,

$4. He was also going to Sea Grape which is further up for $5. Heard

good things about Sea Grape but never went there. Last year

we did the StingRay/Rum Point excursion through Nativeway. But

we wanted just a little beach time this year.

Beach Club colony was a little crowded but you could find a spot

away from the lined up beach chairs. We did not feel all that crowded.

I figured it was a RCCL excursion point since I saw the ship

beach towels...LOL. There is a restaurant and I saw a stand

where you could order burgers, fries. We didnt eat there. We

had a big breakfast so it held us till we got back.

Los Ranchos is really Nicaraguan food. Very good. But you

do need to get there early. It fills up fast.

I believe the Latin American Cafe in Bayside is Cuban. Also, Mambos.

There are plenty of them at Bayside.

Hi Sue

We went on Tuesday and Thursday. We did not choose

those days to avoid any dinning room themes. They were

just more convenient times for us so as not to conflict with

shows we wanted to see. Thursday was a formal

night and we went to Chops. The dress code was casual

for Chops but we dressed anyways. Maybe 50/50 as

to those who dressed or went casual. You need to leave

alot of time at both. I think we were at Portofinos almost

3 hours. Chops maybe 2 1/2. First time at both for me.

Just a great experience.

Thank you so much for the well thought-out review....I am so excited about our first cruise in March on FOS. I was in a serious lull in my excitement due to the long wait, but you just cranked my enthusiasm back up to overload!:D

I was thinking about skipping Laberdee but now I think I am going to check it out!

Do you remember what was served on Surf and Turf nite, many people posed the question but no one seems to remember why they didn't like it!:confused:

Jeezz, I can't wait six more months.......:p

Teresa

Hi Teresa

Surf n Turf was Shrimp and NY Strip Steak. I had no

problem with it. Steak came medium as ordered. Wasnt

tough....not like the old ranch steak. I specifically asked

the waiter if this was ranch steak is disguise..LOL. Cant for the life of

me remember the other accompaniments.

Dont miss Labadee. It was the high point of the trip for me.

Great review. Do you know if they plan to continue to have the gala buffet in the dining room now? I was on FOS in July and it was in the Windjammer and I must admit it wasn't the same as having it in the dining room. It's so much more elegant there. I hope they have moved it back permanently.

BUG18

Waiter indicated that it was a permanent move.

We were happy it was moved. The Windjammer is not

the place for this type affair. I was surprised

they moved the second formal night from Friday to Thursday.

Used to going all decked out and seeing everyone formal.

Actually, we didnt know of the change until Wednesday

evening when our waiter told us not to forget that tomorrow

is formal night and Friday the Gala is in the Dining room.

We had early seating and didnt get the compasses yet.

teeburd, when in March are you on the FOS? My group is on the March 4th cruise.

Thanks for the great review FRANKM. I read everything I can find on the boards about the ship. Started when they frist began construction. So looking forward to it.

Great review. I have one question about Cozumel. Was the time an hour earlier than ships time and therefore since Freedom gets in so early, when did the shops open? What time do you have to head back to tender?

Thanks

SCHPLINKY:

Trying to remember my meals. Theme nights are:

Sunday (First day) - Shrimp Ravioli

Monday - (Captains gala dinner) Formal (mojitos must have gotten to me) Dont remember.

Tuesday - (Venetian feast) (Went to Portofinos)

Wednesday - (Surf Dinner) Surf & Turf

Thurdsay - (Crown & Anchor dinner) Formal - Went to Chops

Friday - (chefs dinner) Lobster

Saturday - (Feast of Nations) Mahi Mahi (Very Good)

Waiter told us that dress code was changed from Friday. Dont

know how it was on previous cruises. Maybe the same and

she was mistaken.

Mellak: Cozumel is 1 hour behind ships time.

Schedules were:

Arrival 7:00am (Ships time)

First Tender 7:30am (Ships time)

Last Tender 3:30pm (ships time)

Departure 4:00pm (Ships time)

We arrived in town about 9:30 (ships time) or so and stores were open.

Dont know how early they open.

FRANKM

Thanks ever so much for the lengthy, fantastic review.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind....

during the day around the pools do they serve buckets of beer - cans in a bucket of ice - if so do you remember what make are they and how much they were.

was it OK to leave your sun bed unnoccupied for about 30 minutes to have lunch or did you have to remove all your things then get another one later

Kelynj

Yes, there are buckets of beer available. Saw mostly Coronas

but I am sure you can get any brand. Dont know the cost.

Didnt buy any myself. As long as it costs money, Royal

will sell it to you in any form...trust me.

Yes, you can leave your chair. Just throw a towel and

little bag or book on it. I left for about an 45 mins one day

(hope Iam not branded a "Chair Hog"). Saw lots of unoccupied

chairs this way. People do use the pools, bathrooms, deck games

etc and need to leave for awhile, so it should not be a problem.

Speaking of sun chairs, on sea days, chairs near the main pools and

Solarium were hard to find if you need to be there. I found that

deck 12 around the Sky bar to be the best. Also, nice wicker tables

and chairs near the cantilievered hot tubs went unoccupied most of the

time if you dont care for the sun.

Frankm

Thank you for a great review

One question Im a huge planner and I love all the activities but sometimes trying to get it all in takes a bit a pre planning. Do you know if the current compasses are similar to the ones posted on cruise dailies?? They were from June not sure if they may have tweeked the activities. If not thanks anyway I loved reading your review.

Shellden

I am currently scanning in the full week set of compasses.

Hopefully, will have them done this weekend and then

upload them somewhere....if I can figure it out.

Yes, they are similar from what I have seen

except the headliner changes and

the theme nights in the dining rooms have changed. Didnt

go line for line but they are close.

Rawh, Rawh.....

I am in agreement with everyone else that your review is greatly appreciated and extremely thorough which will help us with the decision making on our up and coming FOS cruise. (April 29/07)

My DH and family have been on a previous VOS cruise and have already had the Labadee experience.

We all enjoyed it and have indicated that we will surely visit the island again on this next cruise. I love the bartaring and also checking out the local handywork etc. I have two small wood masks that cost me $5.00 and everytime I look at them I remember the wonderful, beautiful day we spent at Labadee.

However, I may not spend all day there as I would like to enjoy the hot tubs etc on the ship when there are less people to share it with. I will have to see how this works out.

Again, Thanks. I can Hardly Wait.:)

Archived