Information About The Port Of Houston And More

CRUISEADER

Most Cruise lines departing and arriving from Houston use Galveston with its wonderful Cruise terminal, only two minutes from the Island's lively City Center.

Not so for NCL; they use the industrial (oil and container port) of the Port of Houston in La Porte TX.

Even for Houstonians this is a location not easy to find.

This smelly (oil and chemical plants) area is accross from Galveston Bay in the so called "Barbour Cut".

If someone needs directions; here they are:

http://www.*****.com/houston/portinfo.htm

We hope to arrive in the Port of Houston on October 07 on the Norwegian Dream after an Atlantic Crossing that starts in Dover on September 20. Anyone else?

I hope NCL will still exist by that time; they have just posted a 35.1 Million loss.

Most Cruise lines departing and arriving from Houston use Galveston with its wonderful Cruise terminal, only two minutes from the Island's lively City Center.

Not so for NCL; they use the industrial (oil and container port) of the Port of Houston in La Porte TX.

This smelly (oil and chemical plants) area is accross from Galveston Bay in the so called "Barbour Cut".

We hope to arrive in the Port of Houston on October 07 on the Norwegian Dream after an Atlantic Crossing that starts in Dover on September 20. Anyone else?

I hope NCL will still exist by that time; they have just posted a 35.1 Million loss.

Oh for heaven's sake: have you ever looked at AA loss for any given quarter lately or any other Airline? As my daughter has said, fuel is affecting all lines, plus, add all the new ships and the cost of operating the American Flagged ships!!! so you think they will go under in the next 6 weeks huh? Sure and they are going to put you on a life raft or row boat in the middle of the Atlantic. What fun, where is your sense of adventure? 35 million is a fortune, but not to a major company. Now stop worrying and enjoy your cruise adventure, with or without a row boat. LOl

btw: over 20 cruises and I have yet to be impressed with any embarkation port except maybe Vancouver. No one cruises because of the embarkation or debarkation port I don't think. Yes, Houston is a joke, but you know it almost makes it fun. The first time we cruised out of there was about 8 years ago when NCL first started the Texaribean route: well when the taxi driver started down that little nothing street and into what appeared to be a bunch of crates and cartons I thought our life might becoming to an early end. Then I saw a wonderful sight, better known as a ship. Houston is supposidly going to build a new port (state of the art) when I don't know.

I hope you have started packing.

NMNIta

Don't worry, NCL will be around...

We took the Sun from La Porte last year, and arrived the night before, staying at a local hotel (motel) close to the cruise dock. The limo driver seemed to know where La Porte was, but he had to find the particular motel. Turns out, this motel had a sizable number of pre-cruise guests. The motel arranged a van service to the ship (for a fee), along with regular taxi service, that frequently shuttled guests (about a 10 min drive).

Certainly, the embarkation point was a bit seedy/lowbrow, but I wasn't spending any time pre-cruise to tour the Houston area anyway. At debarkation, we headed straight for IAH.

Duplicate, sorry

There is currently a new cruise terminal under construction at the Port of Houston, so, hopefully, help is on the way. Just this week it was reported that the Port Authority is investing another million dollars in the new terminal area. The terminal will still be in the same general area but, with any luck, will be a bit more classy and accessible. The big question around here, however, is who is going to use the new digs. Since NCL has announced that they are moving their ship out in '07, we may have a great new terminal with no ship. I'd like to think that someone at the Port Authority has some good news but it is, after all, a political entity and it is MY money they are spending!

Believe it or not, that seedy area in La Porte is only a short distance from some of the "summer" homes built by the wealthy of Houston a few decades back. If you get a chance, check out the Sterling Mansion build by a former gov. He asked that it be built to look like the White House. While it is privately owned now, in the past (50's-60's) it was used as a boys home for a short period. There are other homes in that area that are still beautiful. The container port has helped to ruin that area in my opinion.

There is currently a new cruise terminal under construction at the Port of Houston, so, hopefully, help is on the way. Just this week it was reported that the Port Authority is investing another million dollars in the new terminal area. The terminal will still be in the same general area but, with any luck, will be a bit more classy and accessible. The big question around here, however, is who is going to use the new digs. Since NCL has announced that they are moving their ship out in '07, we may have a great new terminal with no ship. I'd like to think that someone at the Port Authority has some good news but it is, after all, a political entity and it is MY money they are spending!

I found this on the Port of Houston Website http://www.portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo/bayportcruise.html On the site there is a link to a video presetation - obviuosly aimed at cruise line executives, promoting the new terminal. It does look like it will be state of the art and, at least for the time being, EMPTY:(!! Since we're building it - will they come? Sure hope so. Personally I think the money would have been better spent in Galveston improving the terminals there - maybe add a parking garage to get rid of the parking shuttles. Port of Houston already has taken over many of the operations in Galveston, why not a cooperative effort on the terminals?

Galveston has had its moments, too. We cruised out of there in 2004. When we got there, we asked the attendants what the horrible smell was. They told us that they had just knocked down the grain elevators next door a few days before. All of the rats that lived in them were smushed, and were rotting! It really was a disgusting smell (it was pretty much gone by the time we got back, fortunately!)

Not to worry, the Port of Houston has constructed 3 "state of the art" cruise terminals just a few miles south of the terminal located in LaPorte. These terminals are scheduled to open in the next few months, the only problem is the Port of Houston as no contracts with any cruise line except Norwegian.

"Seedy", well that just about accounts for most wharf space and their surrounding areas in the world, with the exception of the Celebrity terminal in San Juan.

Thanks, Son of a Cruiser, for the lead to the video clip. It does look like the new terminal will be attractive, however, like you, I'd rather have seen Houston and Galveston get together at one location. Having two cruise ports so close and both served by the same airports seems unnecessary and potentially confusing. I'm also wondering what ships will be leaving out of Houston. From what I read, most cruise lines have already set their schedules for 2007 - even 2008 - and there doesn't appear to be a lot of ships out there searching for a home port. SURELY someone has looked ahead and has some great news for us local cruisers. Guess we'll just have to "stay tuned" for the latest news!

Archived