Passports on the way!

mstravel

We applied for our passports on Aug 2nd, but didn't think they would be back in time for our Mexico trip next week, so we planned to use our back up copies of our BC, the passports status online indicated the passports are complete and on the way. Just In Time!

We applied for our passports on Aug 2nd, but didn't think they would be back in time for our Mexico trip next week, so we planned to use our back up copies of our BC, the passports status online indicated the passports are complete and on the way. Just In Time!

Just a couple of questions -

When you turned in your application was it regular processing or expedited and what time frame did they give you for receiving it?

When checking your online status did it ever say anything more than the application was received before showing completed?

I applied a little over a week ago and mine went to New Orleans. It now shows received and I was told 8 weeks processing time.

Thanks in advance.

We applied for the regular service, even though we already had the trip to Mexico booked we didn't rush the passport process because we already had an extra copy of our B/C. We were told it would be about 6-8 weeks. When our information hit the system, it had a deliver date of 9/20/06. THe status online always showed they had received the paper work and that it was being processed. It showed in the system after about 7 days. Last night it said Passport in the final stages and would be mailed soon, then it had a new date of 9/4/06. This morning the status said complete and passport on the way with a Postal Service confirmation # attached. I'm not sure where ours was sent for processing. HTH

We applied for the regular service, even though we already had the trip to Mexico booked we didn't rush the passport process because we already had an extra copy of our B/C. We were told it would be about 6-8 weeks. When our information hit the system, it had a deliver date of 9/20/06. THe status online always showed they had received the paper work and that it was being processed. It showed in the system after about 7 days. Last night it said Passport in the final stages and would be mailed soon, then it had a new date of 9/4/06. This morning the status said complete and passport on the way with a Postal Service confirmation # attached. I'm not sure where ours was sent for processing. HTH

Texas residents are lucky, as the passport office is in Houston which is why you got yours so quick.

DW and I applied for ours back in March and were in our hands in less than 4-weeks.

Passports are a great thing to have. They are very good to have also for the DMV.

Texas residents are lucky, as the passport office is in Houston which is why you got yours so quick.

DW and I applied for ours back in March and were in our hands in less than 4-weeks.

Don't assume your application will be sent to the nearest processing center. We live right outside Chicago which has a processing center. My application and my kids went thru Chicago but my husband applied for his at a different time and his went thru Charleston.:confused: Perhaps Chicago was backlogged at the time so it went to Charleston.

It really doesnt' matter where you live. The applications are distributed across the offices and longer processing times can be for a variety of reasons. Mine took two weeks last year and it really seems to vary from 2-6 weeks for the most part. There are just certain steps that the application has to step through before your passports are complete.

Hi, we went for our passports on August 17 - and they were in the mail TODAY! Two weeks exactly! They told us to expect them in eight weeks. TWO WEEKS!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what state do you live in?

I'm about 25 miles west of DC and when I applied, I was told 2-4 weeks, but I thought maybe that was a "standard" answer since I read on CC that it was more like 6-8 weeks.

I hope they come earlier than expected, my poor postman will think I'm nuts doing a "Passport Dance in the middle of our road...lol

If you don't mind me asking, what state do you live in?

I'm about 25 miles west of DC and when I applied, I was told 2-4 weeks, but I thought maybe that was a "standard" answer since I read on CC that it was more like 6-8 weeks.

I hope they come earlier than expected, my poor postman will think I'm nuts doing a "Passport Dance in the middle of our road...lol

Hey, I'm also about 25 miles west of DC (Loudoun County). I was told 4-6 or something like that last year and as I said above it took 2 weeks. I applied in Chantilly, VA.

Hey, I'm also about 25 miles west of DC (Loudoun County). I was told 4-6 or something like that last year and as I said above it took 2 weeks. I applied in Chantilly, VA.

Hey Fellow Virginian!

I'm not too much further... Fauquier-Prince William line,

I applied at the main post office in Manassas.

Good thing I went during the week as the Saturdays are by appointment only.

All Saturday appointments were booked thru November.

I was totally caught off guard that they kept my documents though. I guess I thought they would just make copies or something.

to get them here, they are $97.00 not counting paying to have them expedited, that's another $60.00. I've always wondered what the processing part is, I never got that. :o Going to apply for mine tomorrow I think, get it over with before prices go up and lines get longer.:)

to get them here, they are $97.00 not counting paying to have them expedited, that's another $60.00. I've always wondered what the processing part is, I never got that. :o Going to apply for mine tomorrow I think, get it over with before prices go up and lines get longer.:)

The processing part involves checking whether you have outstanding warrants, owe back child support, etc that could make you someone trying to flee the country. They have to check databases and verify info you provide.

I read a thread earlier that states some passports were rejected due to parents city of birth not being included on the birth certificates.

I have one for La. that was very detailed, I went last weekend to have mine processed. I don't think I'll have a problem.

My husband that is another story. He was going to go tomorrow to get his, I just looked at his birth certificate, it has only his parents names, not much information. My son's, his is the same way, both are from Tx.

Has anyone had a problem getting their passports with this type of birth certificate of did you have to get a detailed one & if so, how do you go about getting one? I didn't see anything on the vital of statistics site about that.

Thanks

I'm was also born in LA and my husband born in Texas, my BC has my parents place of birth, while my husband B/C does not indicate where his parents were born. With that being said we didn't have a problem with the processing of our passport application and we recieved the passports just the other day. I don't think not having the parents place of birth will cause a big problem.

My bc is from Texas and doesn't list my parents place of birth either, which doesn't really matter, I've had two passports (first expired so I had to reapply like new). My bc was done on a typewriter (1960) and looks so funny compared to today's computer printed one. I don't ever want to lose my original because a replacement would be so different. My DH was born in NYC and his doesn't list his parents either , I don't think. One of my sons was born in MD and one in VA and neither of their bc's list my and my dh's pob either. I've never heard of that being an issue.

I can't find the link that I read earlier in the evening last night.

I was getting concerned but feel better now. I also called my travel agent who said the same thing you both did. Maybe it has to do with people getting theirs from other states & since all Tx birth certificates are the same & processed in Tx. Who knows.

We have plenty of time if they do reject it. After I read that, I pulled his & then remembered mine had so much information on it. Heck, LA BC's list everything you can imagine on them, where the Tx. ones are short & sweet. The one we are going on in Nov. is to Cozumel so we only need BC's for that one but we have until June for the next cruise where we will need it.

I am from New York State. 2 weeks! Although, I do have friends that went for theirs in March and it took them 8 weeks. Not sure what the difference was.

Oh, great! I just applied for mine and they said 6 weeks! Not that it matters, I don't need it for a while, but I'm so stupidly excited about every step of this that I can't wait to get it back!

I work in the New Orleans Passport office. :D The "average" time for processing an application is 4 weeks. Problems with Birth Certificates is the biggest problem along with marriage certificates. Women who change their name after a divorce should include a copy of the final divorce decree and include it in the packcage. Children's applications MUST include consent from BOTH parents, living together OR divorced AND single mothers who listed a "father" on the cirth certificate. This precludes one of the parents leaving the country with the child without the other parent's knowledge. This only protects the child. If BOTH parents are there when the application is accepted then BOTH parents can sign the application. If you have had a passport before, then all you need to do is submit the old passport and new pictures with the "renewal" application. Birth Certificate is not necessary. Costs less too. ALL documents submited with the new applicatioin ARE returned to you with your new passport. Have I answered all your questions or just made matters worse? :rolleyes:

Archived