Houston or Galveston?

teacherman

We are planning to take a cruise out of Galveston on Feb 17. We plan to fly into Houston (Bush) the day prior. I have now "heard" that there are big doings on Galveston Island at that time due to Mardi Gras, and hotel rooms could by pricey. My question is: Should we spend Friday night in Houston or try to stay in Galveston? If we stay in Houston, where would be a good choice just for one night, and what would be the best way to get to Galveston on Saturday? Would we still be able to use the ship's transfers on Saturday if we get back to the airport? Any info is appreciated.

I would definitely try to stay off the Island...Simply because of price..If money is no object....It would be fun...

I would start now booking rooms....I can give you an idea of where you could stay.....

I am pretty tied up this weekend,but I will do some checking on things for you.

Right off the bat...There is one hotel here where I live,A Days Inn about 2 years old....IF you book now you could probably get a room.We are about 20 min or so N of the Island..Your issue would be getting a ride there though huh????

You may be better off staying by the airport,and then either hooking up with the shuttle..(you can easily do that) you would just have to get a cab (or hotel shuttle,to your hotel,and back to the airport.Find out from RCI where to meet the shuttle...

I can also recommend Galveston Limo..They are actually just a shuttle service,not a limo...But its their thing,and they are very good...You may even get them to pick you up at your hotel.They run to both airports..

Your other option would be to contact Enterprise car rental.They are basically the only car rental that works Galveston on Sundays..Hertz did for a while,but I think they have stopped.

They arrange a special deal with cruisers since they are not opened on Sundays..You could rent the car on Sat,stay at a hotel closer to the Island,drive on to the Island Sunday Am...Drop off the car,and your good.

I am not sure of all the details of the car rental since it is relatively new..(past 2 years) that they do this...It is pretty reasonable however..

Let me know which way you are leaning,and I can recommend hotels either by the airport,or down closer to the Island..

We are also going to cruise out of Galveston but on Princess on the 10th of Feb. Is the Mardi Gras on during that weekend as well. This being the case my thoughts would be to arrive on the 9th and book a hotel on the island sort of central to the ship and the party area if that is possible. brn2crz's idea of using Galveston limo sound like a plan and maybe use the cruise lines bus back when we return on the 17th.

Have never been to TX so pardon my ignorance but are there any "must see's" in and around Galveston?

I appreciate teacherman posting and being able to piggy back on your info brn2crz. Thanks very much

Dennis

Yep...Heres a link to Mardi Gras this year..

http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/event308/

And in lieu of replying to your question at this time about things to do ...I am going to direct you to the link in my signature...It is a link to my thread about our group cruise on Voyager..I have lots of info on Galveston there,that I don't have the time right now to post again...I am going to make a sticky I think,for this thread as soon as I can...or at least keep it saved on my PC,so I can post it quickly in a case like this.

Any more questions,please post and i will respond asap...

Just click on the Voyager link below (the Join our Group Cruise...Not the pricing info) And there are many Galveston topics..

We are palanning to fly into Houston on Friday, arriving about 2:30 pm. We are going to take the Princess transfers to Galveston and their overnight stay at Hotel Galvez. Does this put us with easy access to the historic area for any Friday evening Mardi Gras activities. The website looks as though there are parades, bands, etc. on that evening. Is this area "safe" in the evening. I assume it would be if there are many tourists out and about. Any comments are welcome, and I appreciate all of the postings on this topic.

There are different activities around the Island,but most will take place around the Strand.That is the area where the parades and such are.

The Galvez is on the Seawall.But its not very far.I would imagine the hotel would have shuttles running down there,theres also a electric like bus route that you can take..And a couple of other options.But don't worry..Its a very small Island..Your only about 10 blocks or so from the action..

The Galvez is a great hotel.You will enjoy..

I am to sailing Feb 17. Just booked a room at the Hampton Inn in Texas City, only 25 miles from Galveston and just off I-45. Did not have to offer my first born for AAA rate. Check around and you should get a good deal in this area.

Cruisn Dave

I am to sailing Feb 17. Just booked a room at the Hampton Inn in Texas City, only 25 miles from Galveston and just off I-45. Did not have to offer my first born for AAA rate. Check around and you should get a good deal in this area.

Cruisn Dave

Thats a pretty good place to stay..Theres also a Fairfield Inn right next door.You have A small Mall right there,a movie theatre,a Ryans buffet restaurant,and a Walmart across the highway.Its not 25 miles..15 maybe.

If you still want good Seafood...G0on in to Texas City (down Johnny Palmer hwy) cross 146 and down a couple of miles on the left is the Reef ...Very good..Or...If you want a little more entertainment,and a lot more restaurant choice...and some pre-cruise fun..Check out the Kemah Boardwalk at http://kemahboardwalk.com/flash_content/flash_content.html

Instead of crossing 146...Hook a left and its about 15 miles down...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much brn2crz your information was excellent. I have checked out a noumer of options and will probably do the same as teacherman and take Princess prestay at the Hotel Galvez along with their transfers. When I checked the hotel availability there were not that many options so I would think the cruise lines have a lot of them under option.

Sounds like Mardi Gas will be some fun so will use that as our diversion while in Galveston.

Thanks again and I'll see teacherman hopefully later. Have you checked into the roll call teacherman. I haven't got there yet myself.

Thanks all

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking about booking a cruise from Galveston in February and driving there the day before a cruise. Are there any hotels that we can stay in for one night and leave our car there for the week until we return? I know there are hotels in FL that let you park your car for free for the week.

We are thinking about booking a cruise from Galveston in February and driving there the day before a cruise. Are there any hotels that we can stay in for one night and leave our car there for the week until we return? I know there are hotels in FL that let you park your car for free for the week.

Check the lodging section of http://www.galveston.com Several hotels offer free parking with a nights stay precruise. However, if you are sailing during Mardi-gras you may find this offer blacked out, or hotels booked.

• 3 weeks later...

As the previous poster recommended, I visited galveston.com. I found that most of the hotels offer free parking during the extent of your cruise. Has anyone done this? How do you get your stuff to the ship? Also, has anyone driven in on the day of their cruise? That's what I was going to do until I found this message board. Now I am considering getting there the day before. Thanks in advance!

As the previous poster recommended, I visited galveston.com. I found that most of the hotels offer free parking during the extent of your cruise. Has anyone done this? How do you get your stuff to the ship? Also, has anyone driven in on the day of their cruise? That's what I was going to do until I found this message board. Now I am considering getting there the day before. Thanks in advance!

We are staying in San antonio for 2 days on riverwalk in a gorgeous hotel as we got a really good deal with southwest by flying in a couple of days early. Even with the car and hotel, we will save a thousand dollars. Anyways, we currently are booked the day before our cruise in Texas city where we will meet our neighbors, but we can cancel. I thought I would check priceline a few days before and if not, oh well. We have rented a car at enterprise, as have our neighbors. There is a drop off fee but it is still reasonable. No drop off on way back. We checked out numerous transportation options and this was the best deal.

img-elissa-fullsaili306.jpg

If you can stay on the Island for a reasonable rate, do it. Galveston is second to New Orleans for Mardi Gras if you like a giant party. There are many more things to see and do that are well worth while. Along with Galveston.com check out the historic Strand, or the tall ship Ellissa at The Texas Sea Port Museum, http://www.galvestonhistory.org/plc-main.htm if history is your thing. If not go to Moody Gardens, a world class facility. http://www.moodygardens.com/

Eat at Gaido's, some of the best seafood on the Gulf Coast, or down at Fisherman's Wharf at the Cruise ship terminals. Galveston is another exotic port, so start your cruise early, or stay up on the mainland and drive down for the evening. Whatever you do have a great time and enjoy cruising out of Galveston.

Archived