Rethinking Bringing a Collapsable Cooler on Carnival Holiday in December

soapeaches

I just bought a collapsable cooler at Sam's Club yesterday and thought I might use it on our cruise in December. We will have 5 adults and a toddler. Some of the adults prefer Pepsi products (i.e. caffiene-free) and beer. I know the beer is a no-no, but sodas and bottled water in reasonable amounts would really be convenient and save money. I would like to use the cooler, but I'm really afraid we might come off looking like the Clampets go on a vacation. Would really like to hear your experiences and thoughts on using the collapsable cooler. Thanks.

Just thinking about all the stuff we are going to have carry in addition to regular luggage because we are traveling with a toddler (PackNPlay, umbrella stroller, blow-up wading pool, large box of disposable diapers, etc.) I am seriously rethinking the cooler.

I think I will just tell everyone to just suck it up and either buy a soda card and drink Coke products or get ready to love free water, tea and lemonade. Going to have to remind everyone the reason we chose this cruise was to save money so don't go drinking away the savings at the bar.

We do have one good thing in that we are close enough to Mobile to be able to drive down there. So if you see an SUV loaded to the gills pulling into the terminal and all the porters running for their lives it's us. My husband has convinced me to buy a regular suitcase and forgo my usual choice of large black garbage bags for luggage.

I would not bring the collapseable cooler. I do not think they would let you bring it on loaded and yes, I think you would probably get a lot of looks. If you drink more than 5 or 6 sodas a day, then the soda card is the way to go. Water is free in a glass from the buffetts and cafes. You are already going to be loaded down so I would not even bother.

The only way I'd bring along a cooler is if I used it to carry my toiletries, then use in en-suite or for a shore excursion. If it is the large rolling type, you could still put a few bottles of water or Pepsi in the bottom of it.

Doesn't Carnival provide Pack-n-Play cribs for you? I would check on it, you may be able to leave that at home, as well, just packing along your own sheets.. You blow-up pool may not get used, I've never seen one used onboard. (of course, if people are using them on their balcony, how would I know about it! ). I think I'd do squirt bottles instead.

I'm sure you will be able to put a luggage tag on the large box of diapers and send them through as luggage. If you run short of tags, just have one attached at the porters desk upon arrival. I think I'd probably label it at home, too, just in case.

You want to board the ship as unencumbered as possible. If you board early enough, your cabin may not be available to you for a couple of hours. Toddler in stroller, a couple of extra diapers and a clean change of clothes for them, a juice box (although they will have some drinks available at the buffet) and carry on the immediate necessities.

Finally, after all the cruises I've been on and all the luggage I've seen people carry, I'd not give a second thought to what your rolling cooler looks like. It's got to look a whole lot better than the duct-taped, threadbare, ancient (not vintage), odd looking pieces you may see ;) .

Have a great cruise with your little one and family!

Doesn't Carnival provide Pack-n-Play cribs for you? I would check on it, you may be able to leave that at home, as well, just packing along your own sheets..
On RCI Explorer, we were provided with a pack-n-play so I agree that you should check with Carnival. You paid the cruise fare for the child so they should definitely provide the accommodations! :)

Should you take the cooler? Depends on what you plan to do onshore...

We are beach bums, and prefer to spend longgggg hours at the beach. The cooler (collapsible or hardshelled) works well in situations where 1. there are no drinks available on the beach, or 2. the beach drink prices are outrageous (South Beach Miami, Bermuda, etc.). You wouldn't look like the Clampetts (that was funny!).. we literally live at the beach, and a cooler is "standard issue" gear for any beach day. Pack champagne, water, sodas, whatever you like.

When travelling with a cooler to a resort, ship, condo, whatever, we don't travel with ice & beverages/food; we pack clothes in it. Once you get settled in, then you pack it for the beach day.

Enjoy your trip!

I would not bring the collapseable cooler. I do not think they would let you bring it on loaded and yes, I think you would probably get a lot of looks. .

I've seen several with collapsible coolers on Carnival, as well as RCCL. (Just don't put ice in there until you're in the cabin.)

I understand your reasoning and I can't blame you for considering bringing one on. I have read your comments on Carnival board. Just remember, collapsible or not, you will have so much else to bring on board with the toddler, do you reailly think you want to lug one more thing. Those who want Pepsi can bring their own on without depending on the cooler. I know, it would be nice to have it out by the pool, but then you will look like the McCoy's or the Beverly Hill Billies. i know, lots of people will bring them on and if don't care how you look, there is nothing that says you can't do it, it's not breaking any policy or rules. Just think about all the stuff you have to bring on if nothing else. Being loaded down with everything you need for the little one. Getting it on the ship isn't the deal, but when it's time to go home, everyone is sad and then you have to lug a million things it can be a big pain.

Just my thoughts,

Nita

I just bought a collapsable cooler at Sam's Club yesterday and thought I might use it on our cruise in December. We will have 5 adults and a toddler. Some of the adults prefer Pepsi products (i.e. caffiene-free) and beer.

If you have 5 adults, why doesn't another adult carry the cooler if you are going to take it?

I would like to use the cooler, but I'm really afraid we might come off looking like the Clampets go on a vacation.

I guess I'm one of those people who "doesn't care what I look like... I'm on vacation!" Besides, if you just bought it, it shouldn't be showing any wear and tear anyway.

BTW, live in Wetumpka.

wading pool? Are you going to take it to the beach?

No, I don't think we will take it to the beach, but would probably use it on board when we have a sea day. Izz-Bizz, the toddler, isn't potty trained yet so she won't be able to use any of the pools. We thought we would set up a very small blow up wading pool in an out of the way spot on the pool deck. That way she can splash about in the little pool without grossing out our fellow passengers.

wont offer any personal observations regarding yu or any pax bringing a cooler on board but i will remind you that you might have to tender ashore at some port and then you will really have your hands full.

good luck in finding an out of the way place for you to set up a splash pool for your child

have a great cruise

We brought along a small cooler last cruise and it worked out great. The room attendant filled it and drained it everyday. And at the end of the cruise we gave it to him. He said he could use it. We also filled it with coke and just tagged it with a carnival room tag. It showed up with the rest of the luggage. It was never a problem. We also gave the room attendent a extra 20 just for filling it up every morning.

• 1 month later...

I just won a backpack cooler I plan to take. It will be my carryon, without the drinks.. :) I will pack it for the islands the night before with cold water and snacks and beach stuff. I figure I can get a few water bottles and some fruit in it.. then fill the backpack with beach items.. i will just see. I took a beach back with drinks last cruise and stuff got wet. Figure the cooler on the bottom will prevent that.

We brought a collapsable cooler with us just for the purpose of ice and keeping drinks cold in the room. We placed it in the bathroom on a towel in case it leaked and our room steward kept it full of ice everyday for us. It was great for when you wanted drinks in the room! Definitely will bring it again.

I would like to use the cooler, but I'm really afraid we might come off looking like the Clampets go on a vacation.

If you think it will be useful, then bring it. Don't worry about what you think others might think of you while you're boarding. :)

I am addicted to diet coke and I will only drink real diet coke in a can. And it has to be cold. When we cruised the Holiday in March I packed my collapsble cooler in my checked luggage. When we got to our cabin I called room service and ordered 12 diet cokes. I didn't want to fool with carrying on or packing a 12 pack.

I set my cooler in the bathroom and the room steward kept it full of ice throughout the whole cruise. After I asked him the first time he just kept it filled with ice the rest of the cruise. He was a great room steward and he got an extra tip for keeping my diet cokes ice cold.

I just bought a collapsable cooler at Sam's Club yesterday and thought I might use it on our cruise in December.

When in December are you going? :D

We went on the Miracle in March of this year, and we brought a collapsable cooler with us. The cabin steward kept it filled with ice, and on the last night, she even had it drained and dried out for us.

I did find tho, that I think I drank maybe 1 soda and 3 waters from the cooler the whole week :eek: I will not be bringing my cooler in December. I did bring 2 thermos type mugs with us - and I just kept filling mine with ice and either the lemonade, koolade or water they had for free on the ship, and hubby used his for coffee....those worked well, and took up little space in the suitcase.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Deb

I was onboard the Holiday in August. Saw quite a number of people bringing hard and soft coolers on board. No one, passangers or staff, gave them a second look and did not see any opened for inspection. I personally took with me a six pack of ale, six pack of coke and a small bootle of rum in my carry on. The only comment that I received from the security staff after it passed thru the x-ray machine was jokingly "Have a good cruise and bring them back a bottle of good tequila and some Cuban cigars, they were starting to run low." What I am saying is to take it if you feel that you will have need of it. There are no frigs in the room only a very small ice bucket, that your steward will keep full for you if you ask them too. If the you take the cooler they will also happely keep that stocked with ice for you. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

I would bring the cooler. I plan on bringing a foldup one for the cabin to keep things cold. I don't worry about what people think, their not paying for the cruise or can enjoy it for you.

Have you considered "Swimmers" for the lil one. My youngest is 4 yo and I still don't trust her in the pool. They are great and they do not leak or swell up.

Take what you think you will need and enjoy yourself.

P.S. No offense, but I think I would leave the p;) ol.

As far as the cooler is concerned, if you are only interested in keeping a few drinks cool at the pool, you can buy a "bucket of beer" and just reuse the plastic container to keep a few Pepsi's (and, a few beers, of course) cool while up on deck...Would be much less of a hassle than carrying a cooler on. On the other hand, if you want the cooler for the room....just go for it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks....just be sure you have enough hands to carry all of your stuff on and off - and don't forget about the 2 boxes of alcohol :p and 3 extra bags of souvenirs you will be bringing back.

----

As far as the pool goes...that one's all on you. First of all, the pool deck is usually very crowded, except when in port. Second, not real sure how you will fill it up or empty it for that matter (the scariest thought of all! :confused: ), and third....do you really think your kid is the only one that is going to "go" in the pool...Come on, that's probably how it stays full :) !!!!

----

Anyway...just go on the cruise, don't worry about what others think and enjoy yourself.

----

200610230400_14.gif

We brought-on one of those Sam's Club coolers in May. It was one of the soft-sideded ones that looks like an overgrown purse. We packed it in one of our checked bags as we got on and off the ship.

The steward kept it full of ice each day and we enjoyed our beverages. He got to enjoy the left-over beverages at the end of the cruise. That is what you call a win-win situation!

Archived