wheelchair first time cruiser...seeks advice

CruisinOnWheels

Hi...my wife and I are scheduled to take our first ever cruise on the Rhapsody from Galveston, december 3, 2006.

We are considering whether to drive from the Dallas area to Galveston or fly...and need some advice.

Regarding Royal Caribbean's airport transfers from Intercontinental in Houston, I understand they have a "medivan" available that has a wheelchair lift? Has anyone utilized this, and if so what was your experience?

We have not driven any distance before, and are a lil concerned about the distance being our car is small. Has anyone ever "car pooled/ride share" with others driving from the same area...or at least had others follow you in case you had a breakdown etc?

all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Hi...my wife and I are scheduled to take our first ever cruise on the Rhapsody from Galveston, december 3, 2006.

We are considering whether to drive from the Dallas area to Galveston or fly...and need some advice.

Regarding Royal Caribbean's airport transfers from Intercontinental in Houston, I understand they have a "medivan" available that has a wheelchair lift? Has anyone utilized this, and if so what was your experience?

We have not driven any distance before, and are a lil concerned about the distance being our car is small. Has anyone ever "car pooled/ride share" with others driving from the same area...or at least had others follow you in case you had a breakdown etc?

all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Not sure about the medivan- though I have driven the Dallas-Galveston route many times in my Chevy Metro and have had no problems. Truck stops are plentiful, and there is no real terrain to deal with, eastern half of Texas is pretty much flat as a pancake. Takes about 5 hours at normal speeds, add an hour for stops. Buffalo has a few truck stops (Exit 178) and is a good halfway point. Good luck to you, and enjoy your cruise!

We did not use RCCL's accessible transportation in Houston, but we did use it in Miami, San Juan and Barcelona. Each time they provided a van taxi with a wheelchair lift.

If you do decide to fly and use their transportation, just be sure to get it in "writing." In both San Juan and Barcelona, they had not record of our requesting accessible transportation. Luckily both times I had brought copies of the emails from RCCL's special needs dept.

Archived