New 50 dollar per person tax on Alaska cruise

betcat

How about the new 50.00$ per person tax on all passenger comming or going on Alaska cruise ships. It was in the USA Today fridays paper. That will be a extra 100. dollars for 2 and 200. dollars extra for a family of 4. Add port charges and taxes. Alaska is wanting too much money. If they get away with that I bet others islands or countries will start charging that too. The price of a cruise is going to be to much. Count Alaska out for me. Time to start sending e-mail to Alaska and tell them that they won't be seeing my money.

Just how would one go about emailing "alaska" :p ROFLMAO!!!

It wouldn't bother me... cruise prices have been LOW the last several years. It's going to take more than $50 to get the prices "expensive" again... And since I don't know the basis for this additional $50, I really can't add much... but it likely wasn't just a whim.

I guess you don't mine paying more money to the goverment. But the goverment takes too much money now. And I forgot you have to explain details to some people. You send e-mails to the Alaska Visitors Bureau, TravelAlaska.com. No it was not a wim. The goverment did it so they don't have to tax the people that live there. As the USA today said " it is the ultimate taxation without representation". It was voted on in Alaska and past by 52%. and takes effect in 90 days.

I guess you don't mine paying more money to the goverment. But the goverment takes too much money now. And I forgot you have to explain details to some people. You send e-mails to the Alaska Visitors Bureau, TravelAlaska.com. No it was not a wim. The goverment did it so they don't have to tax the people that live there. As the USA today said " it is the ultimate taxation without representation". It was voted on in Alaska and past by 52%. and takes effect in 90 days.

No, you don't have to explain every detail to people, but when you post something like this, a link, or a LITTLE bit of information would be helpful... If you could give us any information, that might help those of us that haven't read it to understand.

As far as paying money to the government, that is a fact of life. There are MANY factors that I would want to see before getting upset over this $50... right now, all I know about it, is that it passed by 52%...

Believe me, $50 is not going to stop people from traveling there, I guarantee it...

It's not exactly taxation without representation, as it is a voluntary tax. Nobody is forcing you to cruise to Alaska. And honestly, if $50 a head is going to break the bank, you can't afford the vacation to start with.

Maybe the state needs the $$$.:D

Because of the state revenue from petroleum, Alaska does not have a personal income tax. There is also no sales tax on a statewide basis, although counties may charge a sales tax. There are property taxes in some areas, but not all, and it is not a state tax. Alaska does not charge an intangible personal property tax. Overall, property taxes are very low. Alaska can do this because of the natural resources it has. Additionally, the low taxes are an incentive for people to move to the state.

Just posted this to the Alaska thread - but thought I would follow up here.

I just got a response from an email I sent to my PVP (who is a supervisor) a week or so ago. She told me the fees will be added to final payment and that I should be getting an email today from Carnival.

$200 more for me - oh well.

I'm holding onto the email and anything else related to this because if this does get shot down and the cruiselines don't have to pay it I want my money back.

If fees and such change they can adjust. Normally they don't as port fees only change slightly - BUT - $50 per cruiser is a lot. It's in the contract.

If you were outside cancellation period then they probably would wave it - but no one cruising Alaska is within cancellation period.

How about the new 50.00$ per person tax on all passenger comming or going on Alaska cruise ships. It was in the USA Today fridays paper. That will be a extra 100. dollars for 2 and 200. dollars extra for a family of 4. Add port charges and taxes. Alaska is wanting too much money. If they get away with that I bet others islands or countries will start charging that too. The price of a cruise is going to be to much. Count Alaska out for me. Time to start sending e-mail to Alaska and tell them that they won't be seeing my money.

As a native of Alaska please let me say...don't let the door hit you in the fanny on the way out.

As Dan has already stated, Alaska doesn't need your money and as Stanimal has stated if it's going to break the bank you should consider other vacation options.:rolleyes:

As a native of Alaska please let me say...don't let the door hit you in the fanny on the way out.

As Dan has already stated, Alaska doesn't need your money and as Stanimal has stated if it's going to break the bank you should consider other vacation options.:rolleyes:

not much of an incentive to visit alaska, if this is the attitude up there.

not much of an incentive to visit alaska, if this is the attitude up there.

Do you go for the people or the scenery/wildlife?

Just because there are some a-holes in NY doesn't mean I won't go there.:rolleyes:

Do you go for the people or the scenery/wildlife?

Just because there are some a-holes in NY doesn't mean I won't go there.:rolleyes:

both, actually. i find it nice to chat with the locals. i lived in colorado for many many years. i've climbed several 14,000 mountains and traversed glaciers. a trip to alaska would be more than just 'scenery' for me.

To the OP who got so upset: this is nothing new. Cities have been taxing travelers for a long time. Look at any big city "hotel tax" and you will see what I mean.

The problem Alaska is trying to address is all the cruise passengers descending into town, and not spending enough money to cover the port overhead, infrastructure, etc. Sure, they can tax tour operators, but what about the people who do not take tours, and just walk around town? Should they not share in the costs? Yes they should.

I think if you dig deeper you will find a tax of equal proportion on a lot of things you already do. Why is this noteworthy?

I say forget about taxes and port charges, and just look at the total price of the cruise and decide if that is worth it.

If you have not noticed, an airline ticket to Europe can have over $200 per person in taxes. Maybe Alaska is just catching up to where they should be. I have no problem with that.

The two Ahoys are going to Alaska next June. So, we'll be paying an extra $100--just add that to the budget. We're going to enjoy everything about our trip, and we won't let a new tax cause us worries.

As my students say, "Stop harshing my mellow." It's Friday, I'm beginning a three-day weekend in an hour, and I'm going to relax and have a good time.

Have a happy!

Archived