Are Multiple Dress Codes Still Fun?

xplrcrzn

With all the new security restrictions on carry-ons, liquids, etc., as well as airline charges for excess baggage, is it time for the cruiselines, including Seabourn, to re-think their dress codes? I know many Seabournites really enjoy formal nights (so do I) and an equal number like to stay casual. But what about the middle code-"informal"? For my part, if that one is eliminated, I could leave a blazer, some dress shirts and maybe a pair of dress trousers at home, making it possible to pack everything in one check-in bag. The one thing I am NOT looking forward to with my Seabourn cruise later this year is the packing and related baggage hassles (and I don't think shipping bags ahead is viable for most folks--it still is pretty expensive).

I don't understand the issue with a few items of clothing causing a thought of changing that which so many enjoy. Personally, I pack for myself, my wife and two children and we do it with two larger bags and two smaller ones...for a two week + holiday. That takes care of formal (including tux and long dresses), informal (jacket and cocktail dresses) and casual evenings, plus snorkel and beach gear and about 15 pairs of shoes.

Think about those few extras you take but never wear and the items which the ship can launder for a few dollars. It really is very easy...and a lot less hassle than some make it seem.

Also, putting cosmetics in checked luggage is a blessing for me. It is one less thing to lug onto the plane. And guess what, coming back from Europe two weeks ago there was absolutely no problem!

It would be really helpful if Seabourn stated pre-cruise what the dress code is going to be each night, Silversea and Regent can do it so why can't Seabourn? Then we would be able to pack exactly what we need for evening wear. I recently emailed SB to ask how many formals there would be on our 16 night transatlantic and received the answer "about 3" !!!! I have enquired in the past about this and been told 3 or 4 formals, well I need to know if I am taking 3 or 4 dresses! This can make a big difference. We were told that they like to wait and see the age range of the passengers for each cruise before making that decision but they have all our info so why cannot it be done precruise? With the new restrictions on luggage especially on BA it would be nice to not have to take things just in case.

We have looked into the shipping of our luggage beforehand and found some great prices in the UK and are seriously considering it for our Monte Carlo - Barcelona trip in a few weeks time. More for peace of mind as lots of luggage is failing to arrive with you, the airlines seem to think it is OK if it arrives days later.

Daneite-Good point about the "failure to arrive" issue. With the increase in checked baggage there seems to be a corresponding increase in lost or delayed luggage, which can really be a problem on a cruise. As for "changing that which so many enjoy,"--the issue (for me, at least) is does the "joy" outweigh the hassle and problems. Further, do three codes, as opposed to two, add significantly to the "joy."

Not so long ago there were four dress codes! Casual, elegant casual, informal and formal! And now only three. And there is the possibility to skip the formal part. Of course then you can´t have dinner in the restaurant or main dining room, but if that will make my husband a lot happier, I´ll go for that, like we did a week ago on the Legend. I still can go to the parties, as I always do alone in my evening dress and my husband joins me for dinner in the Veranda! Let´s wait and see what he decides for our upcoming Legend November crossing. As long as he is happy. I´m happy anyway! See my signature!

It would be really helpful if Seabourn stated pre-cruise what the dress code is going to be each night, Silversea and Regent can do it so why can't Seabourn? Then we would be able to pack exactly what we need for evening wear. I recently emailed SB to ask how many formals there would be on our 16 night transatlantic and received the answer "about 3" !!!! I have enquired in the past about this and been told 3 or 4 formals, well I need to know if I am taking 3 or 4 dresses! This can make a big difference. We were told that they like to wait and see the age range of the passengers for each cruise before making that decision but they have all our info so why cannot it be done precruise? With the new restrictions on luggage especially on BA it would be nice to not have to take things just in case.

We have looked into the shipping of our luggage beforehand and found some great prices in the UK and are seriously considering it for our Monte Carlo - Barcelona trip in a few weeks time. More for peace of mind as lots of luggage is failing to arrive with you, the airlines seem to think it is OK if it arrives days later.

Hi K & B,

I too have been wondering about how many formal nights on our 16 night Nov. Legend Trans-Atlantic crossing! The party line from the US 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 Seabourn brochures regarding the number of formal nights is: ...three to four nights, depending on the itinerary, on a two week cruise. I think our crossing itinerary qualifies for 4 formal nights. We know, as Legend Nov. crossing aficionados, for at least the last four years, the 11 night glide accross The Pond always had 3 formal nights. For the 16 night, 2006 crossing, it should be no problem to have 3 formal nights during our 10 night glide accross The Pond and one formal night on the sea day between Cassablanca and Lanzarote, the fourth night of the cruise. So, for the four anticipated formal nights, I am packing my tux and white dinner jacket (will wear each twice). Please don't stress over your dress and consider packing a fourth, just in case.

Although I could handle my checked and carry-on lugggage by myself with the air itinerary I have purchased, I too have been looking into shipping my luggage RT and avoiding all the potential pitfalls. After calling Seabourn and getting a RT quote, I have been looking into other shippers. My Virtuoso TA has put me on to a luggage service that is also affiliated with Virtuoso. The cost is about 40 percent what Sebourn's DHL service costs and they take care of everything. There are other companies that also offer this service, so it pays to shop around. With the airline baggage handling system on sensory overload and luggage falling into the cracks and not being delivered for days, I am seriously considering it for peace of mind.

If you ship your luggage for your upcoming cruise, please post and let us know how it went.

My Virtuoso TA has put me on to a luggage service that is also affiliated with Virtuoso. The cost is about 40 percent what Sebourn's DHL service costs and they take care of everything. [/color]

Would you mind letting us know the name of the shipper your travel agent recommended? Many thanks.

We have a 4 week Seabourn cruise booked - looking for alternatives to checking bags with airlines and crossing my fingers that they actually make it to the ship!!!1

Thanks again.

I simply do not see the problem on Formal nights and packing. Years ago..I used to take multiple gowns..and yes, that took extra luggage. I grew up...I now take separates..same pants and different tops. It works! As for the other evenings...a wonderful store is doing great business called Chicos. They have travelers outfits that I have been collecting for the last few years. I can wear some parts in the day time...then others in the evening and add jewlery to make the difference from casual to semi formal. I used to take two bags and a carry on. I now take one bag and a carry on..no matter the days. Me husband is estatic!!!!!

Would you mind letting us know the name of the shipper your travel agent recommended? Many thanks.

We have a 4 week Seabourn cruise booked - looking for alternatives to checking bags with airlines and crossing my fingers that they actually make it to the ship!!!

Thanks again.

My pleasure 4kitties. The company name is Luggagefree and their motto is "Pack heavy. Travel light." You can call them directly at 1-800-361-6871 or log on, go to the order page and place your order there. In a pinch, they can be at your home to pick up your luggage within 24 hours nationwide (US) or within 6 hours in New York City at the time YOU specify. Lugagefree provides door-to-door service in 120 countries and they do international to international service as well so non US residents can use their service.

I wish to correct the text above in my original post to read as follows (changes in boldface type): The cost is about 40 percent less than what Sebourn's DHL service costs and they take care of everything.

The link to their site is as follows:

http://www.luggagefree.com

I hope either luggagefree or another luggage service satisfies your luggage transportation needs!

I simply do not see the problem on Formal nights and packing. Years ago..I used to take multiple gowns..and yes, that took extra luggage. I grew up...I now take separates..same pants and different tops. It works! As for the other evenings...a wonderful store is doing great business called Chicos. They have travelers outfits that I have been collecting for the last few years. I can wear some parts in the day time...then others in the evening and add jewlery to make the difference from casual to semi formal. I used to take two bags and a carry on. I now take one bag and a carry on..no matter the days. Me husband is estatic!!!!!

I too have also grown up and I have purchased some wonderful gowns that I love to wear on formal nights. I do the mixed seperates thing for the other nights which helps. As for Chicos, that is a US company and I am in the UK and besides they look a little old fashiones for me. The solution is simple, Seabourn need to tell us the exact number of nights for each of the dress codes and I can pack everything easily into one suitcase.

I know Seabourn read these boards so I wish I could get a proper answer as to why they will not announce the dress codes precruise.

Paul

I am not stressed about this just a little annoyed. I will take 3 dresses as we think there will be just 3 , logic says, the Welcome Party, the Seabourn Party and the Sod Off Party (oops sorry Farewell Party):D .

Whatever the dress code we will have a wonderful time.

Kathryn

Another Chico's fan here! I have found some wonderful beaded and elegant tops at Chico's to pair with their wonderful black Traveler's pants and skirts! I joke with my DH that I don't know how I traveled before Chico's ... and his reply is with a lot more baggage:p

Yes, I hope Seabourn is reading this board. We would love to know exactly the dress code for the 16-day crossing on the Legend in November. Anything we can do to save packing extra things would help and every cruise we try to pack lighter and it never works! Let's hope its only 3 formal nights (but so far there is obviously a mystery about it as they keep saying "maybe 4"). How tough can it be at this point to decide the dress code.

I only took one pair of pants and one skirt for formal nights, and a couple of different top thingys (55 day cruise)......(Im not really a "formal" type") didnt bother me to wear the same things all the time, after all you usually sit with different people each time, so who knows or who cares anyway? Much easier for the blokes of course one tux and a couple of dress shirts...have them laundered on board....hubby took 4 bow ties to make his ~different~ We are going to pack LIGHTER next time!

I have a favorite "elegant casual" dress I'm doing to wear twice on my one week cruise. Is that okay? I promise it won't be two nights in a row.

I love formal....if it were elegant casual two nights and formal four nights, I'd be as happy as a clam. A clam with lots of luggage.

Jane :rolleyes:

Here's a unique thought.....wear the same thing more than once!!!!

If there are 4 formal nights on our cruise I will wear something more than once but my point is I should not have to!! It would be so easy for Seabourn to make a decision and inform us pre-cruise of the dress codes. We are all different in our thoughts and in our ways and what suits one person does not suit another. I personally enjoy getting dressed up for dinner some people do not but I do not object because that is what they want to do and it is their vacation and everyone should do what suits them. You only have to look around the dining room on formal night to see the different interpretations of formal wear. Which one is correct? The answer is that they all are as people wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

I can understand why it is not possible to let the passengers know on forehand how many formal etc. nights there will be on a cruise. For instance it has to do with the cruise director and the events there will be organized. Then there is the issue of weather, a very important factor. If suddenly unexpectedly a very nice evening comes along and there is a possibility of a deck event, like BBQ or desert under the stars, the planned formal night may change into an elegant casual or even casual. Also there can be a change of port, another reason to change the dress code. It is better to be a little flexible and by the way, it is much nicer to see smiling faces than whatever clothes we're wearing!

I can understand why it is not possible to let the passengers know on forehand how many formal etc. nights there will be on a cruise.

But it is possible because Silversea and Regent do it.

It is not a deal breaker for me but it would make life easier!

As to the Pride Crossing's (the past 5 yrs) we enjoy 2 formal evenings, plus the Club party, which recently, I've noticed, is semi-formal. A few years ago the Club party was also a formal night.

Then additional parties hosted by Guests sometimes are formal.

I've find it's very simple by packing a long black skirt, a pair of black evening pants, and a few "glitzy" tops. Along with a St. John's black dress, I'm set! Since evening shoes/bags take up so much luggage room, I'm "cutting" back on these this year. (who really notices evening shoes???)

Happy sailing and safe flying,

MB

Believe me, I may not be English, but I do like to dress up like you do. That's why I will always try to take as many formal clothes as there could possibly be formal nights. When I go to Spain by the end of October to our apartment, I'll leave a lot of clothes there. And then before our November crossing, I will pick those up before we embark the Legend on the 5th! It will save me money for extra luggage!

Archived