^^^What will they be doing to the Golden while she's in drydock this Nov.?^^^

GoodAsGold

I heard that the Golden will be in drydock come November. Does anyone know what they plan to do? Maybe new mattresses and bedding? Just basic maintenance and perhaps some new floor and furniture coverings, etc.? I called Princess the other day and they have decided NOT to retrofit her with the MUTS at this time. So, I was just curious if she's getting a simple face lift during her time in drydock. We'll be on her next April.

Interesting that Princess has decided NOT to install MUTS. A couple of months ago I was told that it was being installed during the dry dock. It would be nice if they would make up their minds.

We will be on the transatlantic cruise right after the drydock so we hope they do a lot of nice things.

Have a great next cruise.

I heard that the Golden will be in drydock come November. Does anyone know what they plan to do? Maybe new mattresses and bedding? Just basic maintenance and perhaps some new floor and furniture coverings, etc.? I called Princess the other day and they have decided NOT to retrofit her with the MUTS at this time. So, I was just curious if she's getting a simple face lift during her time in drydock. We'll be on her next April.

We are looking at taking the Golden Princess out of New Orleans the week prior to Christmas. We have never sailed with Princess....only Carnival and an upcoming Thanksgiving cruise with NCL on the POH. I'm looking at this cruise out of New Orleans since the port is only about 2 hours away from where we live. Also thought it would be a great way to relax with family just prior to Christmas. Any suggestions?

Drydock is usually for repairs and maintenance that can't be done while the ship is in the water. They'll probably scrape and repaint below the waterline, check the propellers, etc.

Wetdock (or drydock) is usually used for repairs and maintenance that can't be done while passengers are on the ship. They'll probably replace carpeting (although they do that on an ongoing basis anyway), furniture, paint, and replace or upgrade other things on the ship, most of them not obvious to the passengers.

Mattresses and bedding can be replaced while passengers are onboard so while they may replace those during drydock, it can be done whenever the schedule permits. (They were replacing the bedding in all of the cabins on the Sea Princess during our cruise this summer. I saw them taking out the blankets and replacing them with the new linens and duvets.)

These are all generalizations. I have no idea what's actually going to be done on the Golden during her drydock.

I heard that the Golden will be in dry dock come November..... I called Princess the other day and they have decided NOT to retrofit her with the MUTS at this time........

I know the Grand has MUTS & she is 3 years older, I thought the Golden had it already, can't figure out why they wouldn't do that as it is quite popular:confused: We are also going on the Golden Transatlantic - Rome to New Orleans - Nov 29th(After Dry dock) and were looking forward to seeing some MUTS:(

Any CC's out there with additional info on this???:confused:

We loved our Grand Transatlantic in '04.:)

Bill & Irene

I see you've sailed on Carnival and an upcoming NCL. I've also cruised on those lines---in fact, more on Carnival than any other line. This will be my third cruise on Princess. While they're all similar in how they "run the ships and cruises", in general, I wasn't as fond of NCL--especially their food. I really like Carnival, but their decor is just a bit too glitzy for me. But, they do have pretty decent food, especially in the dining rooms. I've only sailed their older ships, too.

As for Princess, I think this is where I belong. The ships we've sailed on have all offered a fun and entertaining cruise, but at the same time with a feeling of a understated elegance. Nothing over the top. Subdued decor, but not boring or stark. I like their main show theaters, too. No poles blocking the view! :p Beautiful public areas. Lots of wood and brass. I also like their buffets. But Carnival often times has given me a tastier meal in their dining rooms. But for overall ambiance, Princess works the best for me.

As for the Golden Princess, I was on her sister, Star in 2002. My first Princess cruise. LOVELY ship! The pool areas are just beautiful! And, they have fresh water! I am so happy to be sailing on the Golden next year. That way I can relax near one of those gorgeous pools! My advice? GO FOR IT!

We are looking at taking the Golden Princess out of New Orleans the week prior to Christmas. We have never sailed with Princess....only Carnival and an upcoming Thanksgiving cruise with NCL on the POH. I'm looking at this cruise out of New Orleans since the port is only about 2 hours away from where we live. Also thought it would be a great way to relax with family just prior to Christmas. Any suggestions?

Archived