Box o' Wine....

time4sun

I'm a bit of a lurker and just started posting so please don't "flame" me....has anyone brought a box o' wine or a large format bottle onto the Sun??? We will be on a fairly long cruise and love our glass of wine on the balcony....don't mind the corkage fee, just don't want them to confiscate it if we bring a box!!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

PS....yes they do have decent wine in a box....heehee!!!

I'm a bit of a lurker and just started posting so please don't "flame" me....has anyone brought a box o' wine or a large format bottle onto the Sun??? We will be on a fairly long cruise and love our glass of wine on the balcony....don't mind the corkage fee, just don't want them to confiscate it if we bring a box!!!

Thanks so much in advance!!

PS....yes they do have decent wine in a box....heehee!!!

I believe you can bring it.....just don't know how much of a corkage fee they would charge for a box. I'd be interested in knowing that myself. I buy the boxes at home. I like a glass of wine at diner but I am not a wine expert so the box wine suits me just fine.

We have relatives that bring the wine boxes or "cubes" on board each time they cruise. They carry it in their checked luggage- not their carry-on. They do not bring it to dinner-- just to enjoy in their cabin. Sometimes after dinner, they will go back and get a glass to take to the show. (They do order wine with dinner most nights in the dining room) They have always said they never have had it confiscated-- or have it leak or break in their suitcases!

We too love our glass of wine in the cabin and last cruise on the Sun we did pack a 3 liter box: it went through fine. The two bottles we carried on werer assessed the $15.oo. It didn't bother us as one was a very good wine that would have sold for $40 or more on ship. The other was 2 buck Chuck which became 17 buck Chuck. My daughter and I just laugh about it. As for getting a box on, it may be hit or miss. When we went to pick up the alcohal we had purchaced in St Thomas the last day (we picked it up the morning of disembarkation) we noticed several boxes of Franzia and Almadine sitting in the naughty room. All I can say is take your chances. NMnita

The plane air pressure in the hold could easily explode the wine bag in the box.

Only if there is trapped air in the bag. If the hold is not pressurized, the air would expand as there is less atmospheric pressure on it the higher up you get.

Dave

I doubt it. If that was true we would all be going through problems with toothpaste, shampoo, etc. etc. The hold is pressurized.

We have traveled with boxed wine many times: so far it hasn't exploded thank goodness. As for $17 buck Chuck, even at that, compared to some of the ship prices it wasn't bad; here in NM it actually is $3 Chuck. We have decided it is cheaper to pay $3 than drive to Calif to stock up. LOL

• 3 months later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I did the mandatory search & couldn't find the answer to my Q. This seemed like the best place to ask it.

Assuming I can find a box of wine I'll drink -- a friend who's in the biz swears there are improvements all the time . . . .

Exactly how do I pack it? I'm not flying. Do I bubble wrap the actual box? Do I take the inner bag out & somehow wrap that? I would rather not pay a corkage fee but will if I have to. I am more concerned about leakage & preventing that.

All advice would be appreciated.

I carried a box onto the Spirit last year in my carry-on. :) I believe it was a 1.0 Liter box.

I don't think the box is easily recognizable as wine, they are looking for bottles. Anyway, it went through x-ray and all with out a hitch. I drank it only in my room (and balcony).

BTW, why is NCL so worried about a few bottles of wine comming abord? I would think they should be more worried about their customers having a good time aboard. I've been on four other lines and none are as zealous as NCL about chasing wine bottles around! :rolleyes:

My advice: Take the box! Pack it just like you bought it (don't open the box). It will be fine.

Mark

Can anyone recommend an actual BRAND of boxed wine? I like both red and white, nothing heavy like a burgundy though. Something not too dry preferably.

Any suggestions? :confused:

I live in Sacramento Ca. I buy Almaden at Long's Drug Store ( Zinfandel or White Grenache) or Franzia Grenache, they are both good brands, but are in 5 litre. They fit in a suitcase nicely. I have noticed the smaller boxes of wines,quite bit more expensive and I haven't tried them. I bought a bottle of 2 buck chuck at Trader Joe's yesterday, merlot. Just wanted to try 2 buck chuck. If you have a card for Costco or Sams Club they are a lot cheaper. Good Luck!!!! Rosemary

We are staying on time square before our Spirit cruise. anybody recommend a place to pick up a wine box? Save us from bring one from the UK

Sorry you did not get an answer, but usually asking at the hotel is the best bet. We stayed just east of Time Square earlier last year and they sent us about 4 blocks to the west to a small liquor store. He had lots of boxes - said he sold lots to cruisers. He only had the 5 ltr then, and had not seen the 3 ltr - which are much easier to pack, fit in fridge, etc.

And, to the cruise asking about how to pack. If you have a box, you will notice you can just about KICK it, drop it, etc. They are pretty tough. Just pack anywhere. Will be fine. Since our suitcases have wheels on the bottom, we pack on the bottom for weight/rolling ease.

A three liter box fits easily into a two gallon ziplock. We never bubble wrap the wine box as they are fairly strong. But . . . just to be safe . . . we only take white wine on a cruise :). I also put it in my checked luggage with a water bottle (decoy) and we gift wrap the box with birthday or anniversary paper just in case we get called to the naughty room.

we gift wrap the box with birthday or anniversary paper just in case we get called to the naughty room.

Ooooh I like that idea! A cruise gift to myself.

Thanks everybody. I feel so much better about trying this.

I got called to the naughty room last cruise but didn't feel embarrassed b/c I was "caught" smuggling champage. The guy in front of me had a bottle of cheap vodka & his wife was mortified. She playfully slapped him & pointed to my champagne saying "at least she brought the good stuff."

We are so limited where I live with wine selection because they only sell it at the State stores. Our next cruise is departing from New Orleans so I was thinking of picking something up there. What brands have good Merlots that I can get in New Orleans? Can you get 2 buck chuck in New Orleans? I've had it once but we can't get it in PA.

Can anyone recommend an actual BRAND of boxed wine? I like both red and white, nothing heavy like a burgundy though. Something not too dry preferably.

Any suggestions? :confused:

We've found Delicato Shiraz in the box to be as good as the same brand in the bottle. We've also tried the cubes from Target. Some of the cubes, purchased at the same time as the others, weren't as tasty. Some others have been down right awful. But the Delicato has been right on everytime we've purchased it. We're planning to Christmas wrap a few boxes. It feels so devious - but in a good way!:D

Archived