Roll Call - Gate 1's Viktoria - Dec 3, 2006 Prague, Regensburg to Vienna

DeniceRG

Hi there!

Just made final payment today!! Anyone else going on this Christmas market cruise????

Denice

Hi, No we aren't going on this one (although we did check on it) We are going next Dec.07 on Avalon-Tranquility. Anyway. I am interested in your report when you return regaring the Christmas markets, the weather & so fourth, Will you also be going to Salzburg? This will be our 1st River Cruise and can't wait. That's all we talk about the last few weeks, & forgetting that we are going on a ocean cruise in about 53 days. Thanks:)

Hi,

I'm sorry you won't be on our river cruise, but I will write a trip report when we get home. I'm planning on going to Salzburg, I was there when I was 13, which was just a few years after the time that Sound of Music came out, so I'll be interested in seeing how my memories stand up to reality.

Have a great time on your cruise! What ship and where are you going?

Denice

Hi,

I'm sorry you won't be on our river cruise, but I will write a trip report when we get home. I'm planning on going to Salzburg, I was there when I was 13, which was just a few years after the time that Sound of Music came out, so I'll be interested in seeing how my memories stand up to reality.

Have a great time on your cruise! What ship and where are you going?

Denice

Hi Denice,

We will be on the Avalon-Tranquility. It's a new ship...won't be out til 2007. Wish I was going this December:( I love the Sound of Music. I watched it AGAIN...yesterday. Is this your first River Cruise? I hope you have a wonderful time. Did you see the special on the Travel channel last week on Salzburg by Samatha Brown. It was so beautiful. This past week it was on Prague. That will be our first stop. I think we will be there 2 days. Happy Cruising:)

I wish I was going! I did the Christmas markets last year and it's just killing me not to be going again. You are going to have a wonderful time. Just be sure to bring along an extra duffle bag in your suitcase for all those treasures you will find at the markets.

Pam

I wish I was going! I did the Christmas markets last year and it's just killing me not to be going again. You are going to have a wonderful time. Just be sure to bring along an extra duffle bag in your suitcase for all those treasures you will find at the markets.

Pam

Hi Pam, How was the weather like that time of year? Were you able to do lots of walking without getting too terribly cold. That's what I'm worried about. Can you tell me briefly what are at the markets? Which ship were you on? Thanks so much:)

We did the Rhine on GCT River Ravel departed out of Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam. Being from the Phoenix area, anything is cold to us, but honestly it really didn't bother us that much. We were really hoping for snow, but were disappointed there. There were a couple of really cold days but we had gotten some silk long johns to wear under our pants and that pretty much did the trick. Be sure to have hat, scarf, gloves and warm coat and you should be fine. I think most temps were high 20's to low 30's and day or two of sprinkles, but hardly saw the sun the entire trip. If you get really cold walking around you just head into a restaurant or coffee shop and take a break with a warm drink for a while.

The Christmas Markets were really a lot of fun! I'm not sure what to compare them to other than like a swap meet but that doesn't do it justice since it was much nicer than that. They had little wood shacks all set up and decorated festive with all of their crafts, foods, etc in rows like a swap meet would have. You will find everything from Christmas decorations/ornaments, hand made soaps, hand carved wood things, wool sweaters and blankets, homemade goodies, cheeses, breads, just tons of stuff! Lots of them had an ice rink set up at one end with music playing and people skating. Everything and everyone was really into the Christmas spirit, so that made it so much more fun. I was with my Mom and we were there strickly for the shopping and not the tours. Most days we would get a map, ditch our group and do our own thing as museums didn't interest us. We quickly became known as "the shoppers" and had everyone wanting to see what we had bought for the day. The other passengers had a good laugh at our expense when it came time to pack and go home though! Let's just say we had to pay a to a bit for overweight luggage!

If you have any other questions, fire away!

Denise,

Check this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391735

I´ve compiled some information about the towns you´re visiting there. Check my review (linked below in my signature, Deilmann´s Mozart) for Vienna, Duernstein, Melk, Bratislava and Budapest. You will also find links to Christmas Markets along your route.

AZPam is absolutely right about temperatures and clothing in December. It´ll be cold but not too cold (around freezing point usually). You might see some snow.

steamboats

Archived