Just back from AOS and will answer questions..

erbngrl

Hi All - I'm just back today from a week on the Adventure of the Seas and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the ship or the itinerary. It was an unbelieveable week, and I will try to post a review as soon as I have a few minutes. It was a wonderful ship with an excellent crew - you will love your week aboard! Ask away and I'll do my best to give you an honest opinion and give as much info as I can.

We didn't do any excursions through the ship. We're adventurers and did what we wanted to do on our own, which was head to the beach mostly. $15 taxi from the ship to Palm Beach in Aruba. $15 to Kontiki Beach in Curacao. $15 to Maho Beach (right near the airport - watch the planes take off & land) in St. Maarten. Be prepared to spend a fortune though on taxis in St. Thomas. They charge by the person as opposed to the car load in all the other ports. We wanted to go to St. John, so we spent $18 to get from the cruise ship to the ferry terminal, another $10 each way for the ferry to St. John, and then $12 each way for the taxi out to Trunk Bay. If I could do it over again, I would have booked the shore excursion to go out to St. John because I think in the end it would have been cheaper, but hindsight is always 20/20. At the end of the day though these were all beautiful beaches and I am so glad that we visited all of them. You will not be disappointed at any of these beaches. Let me know if you have any other questions and have fun!

If you are on the Southern AOS Cruise, try the swimming with the dolphin excursion in Curacao, it is $209.00 if booked on the ship, but well worth it. Don't do the encounter with the dolphins, that one doesn't allow you to get in the water and swim with them! I was on both AOS easten and Southern in Aug., and we loved it!

We didn't do any excursions through the ship. We're adventurers and did what we wanted to do on our own, which was head to the beach mostly. $15 taxi from the ship to Palm Beach in Aruba. $15 to Kontiki Beach in Curacao. $15 to Maho Beach (right near the airport - watch the planes take off & land) in St. Maarten. Be prepared to spend a fortune though on taxis in St. Thomas. They charge by the person as opposed to the car load in all the other ports. We wanted to go to St. John, so we spent $18 to get from the cruise ship to the ferry terminal, another $10 each way for the ferry to St. John, and then $12 each way for the taxi out to Trunk Bay. If I could do it over again, I would have booked the shore excursion to go out to St. John because I think in the end it would have been cheaper, but hindsight is always 20/20. At the end of the day though these were all beautiful beaches and I am so glad that we visited all of them. You will not be disappointed at any of these beaches. Let me know if you have any other questions and have fun!

This is very helpful...especially the part about St. John's as we're debating doing this ourselves or through the ship. Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. We're considering AOS Southern Carib for the winter of 07-08. I was also looking at Carnival Destiny and have read a lot about the Latin/Salsa theme on the ship because the local people from PR get such great deals on the ship. Does AOS have the same thing? Just wondering what the passenger make-up is. We're considering either December 07 or February 08.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Hi. We're considering AOS Southern Carib for the winter of 07-08. I was also looking at Carnival Destiny and have read a lot about the Latin/Salsa theme on the ship because the local people from PR get such great deals on the ship. Does AOS have the same thing? Just wondering what the passenger make-up is. We're considering either December 07 or February 08.

Hope you don't mind - but I can answer your question as well.

We sailed on the AOS in February and are doing a B2B this coming February.

Yes, there were many Spanish passengers onboard, and yes, most of the announcements were in English as well as Spanish. None of this was an issue at all. If any of the Spanish speaking passengers were San Juan locals, they were wonderful people :)

Insofar as passenger ratio - I have no idea......I could guess that perhaps 30% were Spanish speaking on our cruise???

You will love the AOS!

ckrobyn: Thank you and I liked your photos! The beach photos are really beautiful.

You're welcome!

Baby Beach in Aruba was fabulous - and of course Mullet Bay Beach in St. Maarten is our all time favourite!

Glad you liked the pics :)

I couldn't tell you the exact make up of the ship, but all of the important annoucements (muster call, disembarkation) were spoken in I think 5 languages. The ship itself doesn't really have a Latin theme, it is just a beautiful ship with a good mixture of all kinds of people, I would sail her again tomorrow. One of the reasons I like to cruise is the variety of people you meet, and you will certainly accomplish this. If I had to choose between RCCL and Carnival I'd choose RCCL any day of the week and twice on Sunday. There's no comparison in my book. But that's just me. Whatever you do, just have FUN!

The Adventure of the Seas sails from San Juan so it makes sense that there will be more locals on that ship than others. What is the problem with that? Nothing in my book. Make some new friends. Someday, you may wish to visit Puerto Rico and stay for a week - imagine how cool it would be to have a LOCAL show you around a bit. I've had this experience and it's something I'll always remember.

Yes, the announcements will be in Spanish, but also English, German, French, and probably others. There are things that everyone needs to understand and English may not be their only language.

Yes, there are some activities that seem geared toward the latino crowd - you don't have to go to these if you don't want to, but I'd encourage you to give them a try as they are fun. Part of the fun of vacation is the chance to learn about other cultures. You'll find that this culture is friendly and proud of their Spanish heritage. Enjoy!

Nothing is wrong with this at all. I just wanted to know! Hey, I live in NY and my kids go to a school that has children of every color and speak many languages. Just curious because of all the negative comments on the Carnival board about the Destiny -- but there are also air conditioning problems on that ship which makes that ship completely out of the question. Running the risk of no AC is just not worth it!

We would love to do S. Caribbean and we love the big ships. AOS seems like the way to go.

Hi, We will be on the AOS this Sunday, I just read that there are no more horse races, did they have them on your cruise ? Also did you pack any of your favorite beverage in your suit case. Thanks !

I don't quite know why so many people concern themselves with how many locals from Puerto Rico will be on the ship. When we wailed Serenade I found our time in San Juan to be very enjoyable when we interacted with locals and over all there were no issues aboard ship. I remember far more pushy people when we sailed Mariner out of Port Canaveral.

The only rude local I remember ever encountering was one worker in a shop at the airport. When I think about Serenade and San Juan I have only good memories and I'm very much looking forward to our return there this March when we sail Adventure.

Thanks for this info, we are leaving on AOS Nov. 12 and have been to Trunk Bay on previous cruise and really wanted to go back but wasn't sure how to get from ferry terminal to trunk bay? Will check out how much to excursion is compared to taxi.

We have sailed both Carnival and Royal and I did much research on the Destiny and AOS--I would choose the AOS, no doubt about it. Do your research and I think you will find the better deal is with the AOS<maybe not cost, but with everything else. We had a friend on the Destiny and she said when they saw the AOS they were sick--there was no comparison. Good Luck and have a great time.

TennisLover,

I went on the Destiny in Feb and I just went on the Explorer, There was a 1000% difference in the two lines. I wouldn't go on the Destiny again if it was FREE. We had the much discussed A/C problems in addtion to NO hot water for 3 days. Our friends cabin flooded from the shower drain. Noise problems. And we had hoards of kids running wild, I know this has nothing to do with the shipand it should be the parent's responsiblity. But when it is reported several times that kids are running through the hallways at 1:30am and no one does anything then it is a ship's issue.

The service and the food were terrible in all locations.

I don't care that the ship was old, worn carpet etc. but when the crew doesn't seem to care then it becomes an issue.

Go with the Adventure of the Seas, it is definitely worth the extra $.

We are going on the AOS on Sunday:) Yea! My questions, if you can answer them are: Any trouble bringing liquor on board from the pier shops? Also, do you know if the ship is on Eastern time, or on Atlantic time? Wondering because of flying time home.

Thanks!

Kathy

event.png

I can't tell you about liquor but as for time... Adventure is on Atlantic time. When the U.S. is on daylight savings time both the Atlantic and Eastern times zones have the same time as the islands do not observe daylight savings time. WHen we are on Standard time there is a hour difference betwwen the two time zones.

We sailed the AOS this past August and they still had the Horse Race. As far as the makeup of the PAX we didn't care. As long as they aren't rude that should be all that matters. They also had QUEST but I didn't get a chance to see it.

erbngrl, just want to thank you for the chance to view the AOS, I am debating whether to go on MOS or AOS next summer. Never been on RCCL before just Carnival. Also thank you all for asking her questions that will also help.

Archived