Spirit..Alex to Dubai.

juliedawg

As I posted on another thread, guides with cars are plentiful and reasonably inexpensive in Dubai. If they aren't at the pier, then I would head for a hotel and get one there. Of course, my guide seemed incredulous that I most definitely did not want to see the Palm Resort under development, but it was no problem.

Since I am planning this itinerary for October '07 I am enoying reading everyone's observations.

As I posted on another thread, guides with cars are plentiful and reasonably inexpensive in Dubai. If they aren't at the pier, then I would head for a hotel and get one there. Of course, my guide seemed incredulous that I most definitely did not want to see the Palm Resort under development, but it was no problem.

Since I am planning this itinerary for October '07 I am enoying reading everyone's observations.

Much information and opinion are expressed in these threads, but I see a near total lack of reviews of land excursions. Wouldn't it be useful for past travelers and those of us traveling this November from Alexandria to Dubai to begin a review of the offerings. The information would certainly be useful in selecting among the choices or arranging private tours in some of the ports.

I would be willing to contribute, on return, comments on any I take. And certainly would like to hear from past travelers on this itinerary. I acknowledge GrannyLorr's postings but would like more.

Much information and opinion are expressed in these threads, but I see a near total lack of reviews of land excursions. Wouldn't it be useful for past travelers and those of us traveling this November from Alexandria to Dubai to begin a review of the offerings. The information would certainly be useful in selecting among the choices or arranging private tours in some of the ports.

I would be willing to contribute, on return, comments on any I take. And certainly would like to hear from past travelers on this itinerary. I acknowledge GrannyLorr's postings but would like more.

I agree. This trip does not seem to be getting many responses with info.

I am currently guaranteed excursions to Petra and Dubaii...and am in limbo about whether to do the ship's excursion to Luxor. If I cannot use my shipboard credit, I may use the service that I have had in Egypt and do an individual 2 day/1night tour with more sites, and less money.

Am also interested in how to spend my time in Dubai..My plane leaves at 3:30 pm and, of course, we are off the shipo by 9am.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated. I am always in favor of private tours.

I will be spending a few days in Cairo and then overnight in Alexandria, boarding the ship around noonish.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

I am currently guaranteed excursions to Petra and Dubaii...and am in limbo about whether to do the ship's excursion to Luxor. If I cannot use my shipboard credit, I may use the service that I have had in Egypt and do an individual 2 day/1night tour with more sites, and less money.

Am also interested in how to spend my time in Dubai..My plane leaves at 3:30 pm and, of course, we are off the ship by 9am.

I will be spending a few days in Cairo and then overnight in Alexandria, boarding the ship around noonish.

I can recommend the seafood restaurant in the Burj al Arab. It surrounds a huge aquarium and was very interesting; food was good and reasonable. However, I had crab and lobster because I didn't want to eat the relatives of. the fish swimming around. I was given a guide to the fish and an explanation of their program.

I think one has to have a print out of the reservation (it includes info for the appropriate clothing). But you can have a drink in the top cocktail lounge and wander about. I don't think it's now the most expensive hotel or the most lavish (aka garish) but it's fun!

Am also interested in how to spend my time in Dubai..My plane leaves at 3:30 pm and, of course, we are off the ship by 9am.

A few years ago I took a group to Egypt and we "did it all" in 10 days. I must say that the Egyptians do not make it easy...they are in control as guides..and you are at their mercy. Given the choice, I would do Seabourn's package and therefore be certain that I didn't get the "run-a-round" as to...ie..the bus will come...the bus will come...and hours later you still hear the same thing. You get the idea after a while..that behind the smiles and psuedo sp? graciousness...that they do not like you..and do not care. There is so much to see, and it is the most fascinating country I have ever toured. You are in for quite the historical treat!

Keep in mind that Egypt, well, Luxor has been a tourist trap since before the Christian era. You will see graffiti from Napoleon's army in the temples. The point is they know every trick in the book because they invented most of them. I have toured Luxor several times with a very fine company and I have heard the authoritative hooey that many of the guides spout to their charges. My advice is stick with A&K and know that you will get the straight info and an excellent guide. One of the main expenses of the Luxor expedition is the schlep across the Eastern Desert from Safaga to Luxor, including extra security. The little towns along the Nile from Qena to Luxor are interesting, though.

The trinket vendors can be pretty assertive. I found that they would take "no" for an answer better in Arabic--they seem to get that you are serious. Phonetically" La, shoo-kron" means "no thank you." It's polite but final.

With the kids, I also had some luck by immediately offering higher prices than they asked--it's worth it to see the confusion cross their faces. Then laugh and say the above.

Have fun, I find the Egyptians to be nice and actually basically very hospitable.

bgood

I have used A&K on other trips and have been pleased with their services. I have also had wonderful guides using the services of other upscale tour companies. My tour company in Cairo comes highly recommended by personal friends who are high maintenance. They also do a Safaga to Luxor tour. My concern is that Seabourn may not allow me to use my $500.00 shipboard credit for this tour...Any thoughts? Its the principal of the thing. Also, my TA called and said that boarding can begin after 12:pm (as we know, the cabins will probably not be ready). So---I can leave my hotel and go directly to the ship and not have to "kill time" burdened with suitcases, Thanks for everyone's input...now about that brand of champagne? I do want to sample...

Thanks for everyone's input...now about that brand of champagne? I do want to sample...

Last I heard it has not changed. If it has, let me know before my next Seabourn cruise in December!

Champagne Heidsieck & Compagnie Monopole Blue Top

Blending

70 % Pinot Noir

20 % Chardonnay

10 % Pinot Meunier

Tasting notes

Appearance

Light yellow colour, with green highlights.

Nose

Strong and generous nose, slighty woody and spicy, characterised by an aromatic richness blending toasty and buttery aromas.

Palate

An unreserved palate, full, fruity and well-structured taste.

Drinking occasions

A vigorous and lively wine, ideal as an aperitif.

With a meal, it is a perfect accompaniment to seafood and white meats.

I don't think any cruiseline will allow onboard credits to be used for anything not sold onboard, including tours. I doubt that a privately arranged tour would qualify.

We have used our on board credits for the tours that SB suggests. We have also used them on transportation from the ship to the airport..or hotel.

I don't think any cruiseline will allow onboard credits to be used for anything not sold onboard, including tours. I doubt that a privately arranged tour would qualify.

Of course not, I am worried that they will not allow my credit to apply to the Seabourn excursion to Luxor since they are asking for payment 30 days before the cruise starts. I am trying to find out if I can register for the excursion when I board. (I have my private folks on standby).

Johnny--yes I have had a couple of bottles of "monopole blue" its a little sweet but good. I thought they had changed. thanks for the input. where did you find the tasting info?

Of course not, I am worried that they will not allow my credit to apply to the Seabourn excursion to Luxor since they are asking for payment 30 days before the cruise starts. I am trying to find out if I can register for the excursion when I board. (I have my private folks on standby).

Johnny--yes I have had a couple of bottles of "monopole blue" its a little sweet but good. I thought they had changed. thanks for the input. where did you find the tasting info?

Why be in doubt? Call the club member's desk and ask. I simply do not understand why the credits would not apply if you booked..for SB tours...prior to departure..that makes no sense to me.

Why be in doubt? Call the club member's desk and ask. I simply do not understand why the credits would not apply if you booked..for SB tours...prior to departure..that makes no sense to me.
Thanks. guess I misunderstood. had conflicting info from Seabourn...Now I will not worry...just book when I board and "release my backup" Thanks for your expertise.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing Alexandria/Singapore in a few weeks and are wondering whether anybody that has done this cruise at this time of year has been advised to take malaria tablets in Sri Lanka and India? Seabourn are saying no immunisation is necessary but does this include malaria tablets? We have travelled quite extensively in the Far East and have never taken them before but haven't been either to Sri Lanka or India. We are planning to do the excursion to Kandy in Sri Lanka, will probably stay in Mumbai when we are there and would like to do the canals in Cochin. (This is assuming we get to all these ports what with civil wars and bombs) Any advice would be appreciated!

Archived