car rentals in Scotland

paws10

Perhaps our posters from Scotland can help me with this question.

My son (22) is planning to drive from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Will he have a problem renting a car since he is under 25? How long will it take to drive this distance? Is there a better way to get there? Train, ferry, bus? He's got a price of $200 for 2 days; different drop off location than pick up. Don't know if this includes all the taxes or not. He was rather vague in his email to me.

Are there sights he should not miss? His time is short there (4 days). Suggestions as to where he should rent a car? I think he used autoeurope.

He is flying from Paris to Dublin on 9/6 and then planning to be in Edinburgh on 9/9 to Glasgow through 9/12.

Sorry for the late post, I just found out today! If you can provide any insight or help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Perhaps our posters from Scotland can help me with this question.

My son (22) is planning to drive from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Will he have a problem renting a car since he is under 25? How long will it take to drive this distance? Is there a better way to get there? Train, ferry, bus? He's got a price of $200 for 2 days; different drop off location than pick up. Don't know if this includes all the taxes or not. He was rather vague in his email to me.

Are there sights he should not miss? His time is short there (4 days). Suggestions as to where he should rent a car? I think he used autoeurope.

He is flying from Paris to Dublin on 9/6 and then planning to be in Edinburgh on 9/9 to Glasgow through 9/12.

Sorry for the late post, I just found out today! If you can provide any insight or help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is only 40 miles. The train takes about 40 minutes and leaves every 15 minutes.

His age would not stop him renting a car but I would imagine the (compulsary in UK) insurance would be loaded. The cost of the train ticket (single) I think, would be about £7 ($13). He would be mad to drive.

Whilst i am a Glaswegian I am forced to admit that there a many more places in Edinburgh to see. The Castle is a must see and there are many many more. i am sure the posters from Edinburgh will take greay pleasure in listing them!

If he is spending time in Glasgow , let me know and I will give some suggestions .

I have to agree with Scottie.

Car rental he can do without. Not only will he save lots of money, we wont have the problem of what to do with it while he is here, as he is unlikely to use it for sightseeing and will either need to find free on street parking well away from the centre or pay lots of $s to park it...unless his accommodation offers free off street parking. Edinburgh is not car friendly. A car here is a problem not an advantage. Its likely to lie parked somewhere for the duration of his visit, unused.

As most of the historic areas of the city are close together they are easily walkable. its a walking city. Theres also hop on/off buses which do circuits and local buses. A single journey, any distance within the city costs £1. A day ticket costs £2-30. This can be used throughout the day on any number of journeys. This is likely to be his best option. There are also night buses if he is staying not right in the centre. £2 any journey.

Buses run to and from Glasgow and Edinburgh approx every 20 mins or so. An open return ticket is £6. Single journey £4. These are popular because they are less expensive than the trains and can be used any time. Just turn up and get on. The trains cost substantially more at certain times of the day. The Edinburgh bus station is only 5 mins from the train station, in St Andrew Square. You can also get on or off anywhere along the route, unlike the train which has only 2 stops in Edinburgh. This means he does not need to make his way into the city centre to get the bus if he is staying anywhere along the route. The same if getting off the Glasgow/Edinburgh bus. He can get off anywhere along the route through the west side of Edinburgh, staying on until the bus station terminus only if it suits him best. Heres the route and info:

http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables.htm

The other big advantage is that the bus is like a tourist coach, insofaras you stow luggage under the bus, and theres tinted windows, a/c, individual lighting etc. No need to keep an eye on luggage at each train station. Best of all, the Glasgow Bus station is called Buchanan Street Bus Station. The Edinburgh bus pulls in and leaves from the stance right next to the Glasgow Int. Airport shuttle bus so luggage only needs to be transferred approx 10 yards if you are travelling from or to the airport and Edinburgh.

He should definitely forget the car idea. Heres some links from a previous post on CC, but theres lots of Edinburgh info on the internet.

Haggis on my birthday! Go to Post #29.

The festivals finished on Sunday, otherwise everything else pretty much ok.

I hope your son enjoys his trip. We enjoy living here.

Thank you both for responding so quickly to my inquiry. I have passed on the information to him re your recommendation NOT to rent a car. His plan was to rent a car in Edinburgh and drive north for 2 days to see the sights and end up in Glasgow for his flight back to Paris.

I have sent your replies to him as well as the link to this board. If there are any additional sights you recommend that he visits besides the ones listed on #29, please let me know.

Again, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated!

Patty

Okay, my son says he doesn't plan to drive around Edinburgh, but wants to rent a car and see sights/tour Scotland. He's aware that Edinburgh and Glasgow are close together, so I think he wants to see different sights: 'loch's, mountains, highlands, scenery, fields, etc for two days'. I think with a car, he'll have the flexibility to cover more of Scotland and see the sights he wants. Any recommendations?

Okay, my son says he doesn't plan to drive around Edinburgh, but wants to rent a car and see sights/tour Scotland. He's aware that Edinburgh and Glasgow are close together, so I think he wants to see different sights: 'loch's, mountains, highlands, scenery, fields, etc for two days'. I think with a car, he'll have the flexibility to cover more of Scotland and see the sights he wants. Any recommendations?

Is your son aware, that, although Scotland is a small country, it would take a good 2-3 hours drive to reach the 'highlands'

If he is determined to hire a car and tour, if time is limited, I would recommend that he drives to Stirling and the Trossach area. This is a very pretty area with lochs, mountains etc and is an hours drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Stirling is a very historic town with a castle to almost rival Edinburgh.

Bannockburn, the site of Scotlands most famous victory over England in 1314 is at Stirling and the area is also famous for William Wallace's exploits as loosely depicted in the film 'Braveheart' (although not filmed there)

Glasgow is a large vibrant, cosmopolitan city. I am sure a 22 year old, after feasting on Scotland' heretage would love the nightlife (I know for a fact my 21 year old student daughter agrees!)

If he wuld like suggestions where to go. let me know and I will post her ideas.

I have forwarded your post to my son. His favorite movie was Braveheart and he is definitely going there! He was very excited with that bit of information!

Hmmm, maybe your daughter could show my son the sights! ;))

He'll be 23 in October. He just graduated in March from UC Davis with a degree in genetics. He visited Paris when he chaperoned the SF Boys Chorus and wanted to return to learn French. I never expected him to follow through with his dream so quickly. He returns home in November.

Thank you again for your reply.

Patty

PS I'm sure any suggestions your daughter has would be most welcome.

There are also day tours by coach from Glasgow and Edinburgh. That way he could sit and enjoy the views and commentary. An internet search should bring up whats available from where.

And some places (such as Stirling) are easy to reach by public transport (bus and train) from both cities. Again, an internet search should find the info.

Heres some.

http://www.travelscotland.co.uk/tours_day.htm

http://www.scotlinetours.co.uk/

http://www.rabbies.com/

http://www.graylinetours.com/

And if he wants to visit Rosslyn Chapel, a normal Edinburgh public transport bus will take him there.

edinburgher,

Thank you for the websites. I have forwarded them to him. He's on his way to Dublin now.

I'll post again when he returns from his trip. He returns to Paris on 9/12, but then heads out to Spain and Portugal.

Many thanks to you both for your quick and informative replies. I know it will come in handy and I'm sure he will love visiting your country.

Just a short note to let you know I spoke with my son yesterday. He LOVED Scotland. He said he'd like to go back and spend a month there. He did rent a car and drove to Stirling and outer areas. He arrived into Edinburgh in the evening and said the castle literally took his breath away. He walked where William Wallace fought, saw his statue and his sword, the gravestone of Duncan McCloud (Highlander), etc.

He left yesterday for Spain and Portugal, but wanted to let you know he loved your country and did find the sites helpful. So, thank you again for your help. He'll try to write something when he gets back.

I am pleased to have helped. I am glad he enjoyed his visit to a little bit of Scotland. Yes he should come back because there is so much more to see!

PS As I write my daughter is enjoying part of her 21st birthday gifts- a girls weekend in New York with her sister!

Not only did I hear the excitement in his voice, I could tell by the captions on his pictures. He loved the scenery/country. He told me on the phone, 'mom, the castle took my breath away. I had to look away and catch my breath before I could look again!' He saw it all lit up in the evening.

Happy 21st birthday to your daughter! I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time in the Big Apple.

Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad he enjoyed it and I hope he returns for a longer visit sometime. If he does, heres a useful site. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ The more you look the more you find.

Sorry about the delayed response. We were on a Canada/N England cruise from Quebec to NYC , then spent a further couple of nights in NYC.

Thank you for tracking me down! I've been in Rhode Island, visiting Newport, Nantuckett and in Boston. I've just returned home and picked up my son yesterday from SFO. He has had an amazing trip with lots of stories to tell. I showed him your last post and he said that was a good site with lots of information. He definitely wants to return to Scotland for at least a month! He's leaving today for Lake Tahoe and said he will write when he gets back and gets settled.

I told him I would go with him to Scotland next time!

Glad you had a wonderful cruise!

Newport and Boston were two of our ports. Newport we actually met up with 2 CCers from our SA Roll Call in March. They took us out for the day. We headed along the coastal villages to Sakonnet Point, Little Compton etc. If you are not familiar with this particular route and may visit again some time, it is very scenic and far from the madding crowds at Newport mansions. Boston we liked too. We walked the Freedom Trail, pottered around the city centre etc. It was a good day.

We enjoyed the trip despite poor weather in some of the Canadian ports.

When I was in Newport I saw several cruise ships all week long. My niece lives in Newport temporarily and suggested I come to visit since she was within walking distance to the mansions! I got to see The Breakers and The Elms and walked along the Cliff Walk. We took a hyline ferry from Hyannis to Nantuckett, took a water tour of the harbor area in Newport, picked all kinds of apples in a nearby orchard, went wine tasting and spent one day in Boston. I had heard the leaves had already changed in Vermont and Maine but the colors were just beginning to change in Rhode Island when I was leaving. It is definitely a place I would re-visit. Glad you had a nice time on your cruise.

Archived