Just back from the Serenade with lots of photos!

Cruisechick82

We just returned late last night from our wonderful cruise on the Serenade. I want to thank everyone for all their advice and answers to questions, especially Budget Queen and of course Murray for the wonderful guide to drive to Emerald Lake.

Hubbard Glacier was spectacular and we saw a huge pod of whales on the last day of the cruise sailing the inside passage.

I will post a full review later, but I just spent about 5 hours editing and uploading the pictures I took(narrowed it down just a little from the original 600 photos) so here they are:

http://community.webshots.com/user/katgrl82

We were also at Hubbard from 5-8. It was very cold cruising up to Hubbard because the wind was very strong. Once we got there it was better for awhile, but then started to get cooler because the sun was setting and was behind the mountains around Hubbard. It was still light out when we left Hubbard, so you should still see it clearly. It was foggy and rainy that morning, but all the fog cleared when we got to Hubbard. The captain said it was some of the best weather they had had there. There wasn't a lot of calving, the glacier next to Hubbard was actually calving more, but there was still plenty of it to see. I couldn't ever get a picture on if happening though.

The Serenade is having azipod problems, that is why the itineary is changed. We were given a letter about it at the start of the cruise.

Formal nights were Monday and Thursday. Thursday was also lobster night.

We missed dinner on Tuesday because of the change in time at Hubbard.(We had early seating.) We were out on deck from about 4-7:30. Be sure to get on deck early as about every inch of railing will be taken at Hubbard. There were also a lot of people on deck on the last night when we sailed through Seymore Narrows, which was pretty neat to see as the ship just fits under the power lines above.

Ok, here's the review of our amazing vacation to beautiful Alaska! This is a very long and extensive review. :eek:

Saturday

Our flight left St.Louis at 9:00 A.M. and we arrived in Seattle around 11. We found our luggage and then went looking for a taxi. We assumed the taxis would be out on the street like in every other airport I've ever been too, but we couldn't find a taxi anywhere so after walking around for a while we finally found a person to ask and found out the taxis were on the 3rd floor of the parking garage. Why they hide the taxis so far away, I don't know, but be warned. We were pretty confused.

We found a taxi and went to our hotel. I had booked the Sheraton Towers downtown for $130 including tax on Hotwire. I couldn't believe how expensive the downtown Seattle hotels are so it was a bargain. The taxi fare was about $35. We left our luggage at the hotel as our room wasn't ready yet and went to look for some food as we were starving since it felt like 2P.M. to us by then. The Cheescake Factory was the first place we saw, so that's where we ate. Overpriced, but decent food. We left and walked to Pike Place Market. I wasn't too impressed with the market except for the history part. There were also a lot of homeless people in this area and some of them were very aggressive. I actually saw one man run after someone and yell at them for not giving them any money. Sad and scary.

We then walked down to the waterfront and went to the Odyssey Maritime Museum. It was kinda neat, but I expected it to be a little bigger with more exhibits. It does have a lot of interactive exhibits which would be good for childern. We walked to the Space Needle and took some pictures, but didn't want to spend the $$$ to go to the top. We then walked back to our hotel and went to our room on the 23rd floor. We were pretty tired so we just walked to Subway for some sandwiches since it was next to our hotel.

Sunday

We got up early and checked out around 6:15 to head over to the Amtrak station. There is a taxi line in front of the hotel and we had a short ride to the Amtrak station. The station is pretty neat, it's in the process of being restored. We checked our bags and sat down to wait. Around 7:00 they put up a sign for the seat assignments and everyone ran up the counter. So get there early as within mintues, a huge line had formed. We were in business class, but the line for coach stretched all the way back to the back wall. Be sure to ask for a water side view. The other side of the aisle(at least in business class) was only one seat across, so you would not even be sitting next to whomever you are with as well as being on the opposite side from the water view. The seats do move, so you could flip them and face someone behind you though.

We got on board and the train left at 7:40. The business class section is very roomy and comfortable and the view on the left is wonderful as the tracks follow right along the water almost all the way. We even passed a lighthouse on the way. We had breakfast in the dining car. Be sure to get there early to get a seat or to get your name on the list if the car is full. The food is pretty good. We arrived in Vancouver on time and went through customs. We were the first to go through customs as business class goes through first. We took another taxi from the station to the pier and it was time to get on the ship....

Thx for the beautiful pics! Spent an hr. just watching the slide show so know you must be weary! I had read here the Azipod prob was fixed already. :( Was Hubbard the only timing changed due to this? Anxious to read your review! Did you eat in any of the ports? Was surprised to see shirtsleeve weather this mo. I can't see the salmon running in the pics but could you actually see them there? Too many questions but so excited!

12 days to go for us to leave and all of a sudden I'm having vertigo & equilibrium problems this weekend. I can not get sick now. Waited too long for this trip!

Sunday continued

We arrived at the pier and handed our bags off to the porter. We went inside and got checked in and went through customs again. Since we got there at around 12:00 P.M. the line was pretty short and we were through everything and on the ship by 12:30. They gave us a letter explaining that the Serenade is having mechanical problems with the azipods causing a reduction in speed and that we would be at Hubbard from 4:30-8 and Skagway from 11:30-8:00 instead of what was original schedule was. The rooms weren't ready yet so we went to the Windjammer for lunch. Lunch wasn't bad in the Windjammer, but it didn't have a lot of variety day to day. The sandwiches, fruit, pasta, and desserts were the best items there. Especially the fruit and desserts. We walked around the ship until our room was ready.

A week before we left, we received a surprise upgrade from an inside to an oceanview stateroom. I'm so glad we got that oceanview, it was soooo nice to have. The rooms on the Serenade are very nice with plenty of storage and a wonderful door in the shower as opposed to those pesky curtains.

The Serenade in general is a beautiful ship with glass everywhere and cool glass elevators that look out to the water. The colors and decor are so elegant. The layout is pretty easy to figure out and it only took us about a day to figure out where all the major areas where. We spent a lot of time in the Solarium because it too cold to sit out on deck most of the time. The Viking Crown lounge at the top of the ship is another good place to sit and look out while staying warm.

We had a few hours until the ship left Vancouver so we explore some more and played a round of mini golf. At 5:00 we pulled away from Ballantyne Pier. It was about 80 degrees outside, so a nice day. It took about 30 min. for us to sail under Lion's Gate Bridge. It looks like the ship will barely fit underneath. About 15 minutes later we sailed by a lighthouse. Then it was time to head in for dinner.

The first night was casual night. I don't remember what we ate except forthe Onion Tart appetizer which was delcious. Our waiter and assistant waiter were wonderful at serving us and making recommendations about what to order. We went out on deck for awhile after dinner before we went to bed.

Monday

First sea day. I was hoping to see some inside passage sceneary, but it was very foggy, windy, and cold outside in the morning. We got up early every morning, usually around 5 or 6, but it was usually foggy in the morning so we didn't see much. This morning was one of the worst. We had breakfast in the Windjammer. The Windjammer seems to be at its best for breakfast with many selections and a made to order omelette station. The only thing I didn't like there at breakfast were the pancakes and french toast, both were pretty bland and dry.

After breakfast we browsed the shops on board, which were pretty small compared to what I thought they would be. We read in the Solarium for awhile and the weather finally cleared up around lunchtime, although it was still pretty windy. We ate in the Seaview Cafe for lunch, which has made to order sandwiches, chicken fingers, etc. It was pretty good.

After lunch I dragged my husband to the scrapbooking workshop. It's definately a class geared towards beginners. The instructor showed us how to make a certain fold to make a little pocket thing to stick in a scrapbook. We were given a small kit with paper and some Alaskan themed die-cuts. We did get an idea sheet that had some tips on things to take pictures of for your cruise scrapbook. Some of the tips were creative. There was a basket making class afterward which I stuck around for, but I never could quite figure out how to make the basket, but I gave up and left after awhile.

Monday was the first formal night. We had our pictures taken in the Centrum before dinner. I think we both had duck that night, but I'm not sure. I do know the duck was very good.

I'll try to finish up my review tomorrow.......

Tuesday

Another sea day with Hubbard in the evening. The day started off foggy and cool again with some rain also. We had breakfast in the dining room which was pretty good. The french toast in the dining room was especially good. I also love the rasperry and the cream cheese pasteries RCCL has.

We spent part of the day in the Solarium because it was so chilly outside. Around 4:00 we went outside to watch as we sailed up to the bay where Hubbard Glacier is. The sun was shining and the temperature probably wasn't that cold, but the wind was very strong which made it pretty cold out on deck, especially on the heli-pad. We picked up a pilot around 4:30 and then cruised up to the glacier. By this time, the decks were starting to get crowded, so make sure to claim your space at the rail early. It took a couple hours to get up all the way to the glacier, and it was very cold with the wind, so dress warmly.

I don't know how far away we were from the glacier, but it felt very close. We saw seals or sea lions on the ice chunks from the glacier. We didn't see a whole lot of calving, but there was some. The glacier next to Hubbard(I don't remember the name) was actually calving more. The sun was starting to dip behind the mountains around Hubbard so it did get colder, although the wind was less since we were moving very slow. The captain said it was the best weather they had had at Hubbard in a long time with the bright blue skies. It also made for some good pictures with the reflection of hte glacier and mountains in the bay. They were selling hot chocolate on deck with extra "flavoring" if you needed to warm up. We stayed out on deck until about 7:30 and then we left Hubbard by 8:00.

We had skipped our early seating dinner, which they had moved to 5:30 that night. We had dinner in the Windjammer and we weren't impressed at all with dinner there. They choices were very slim, only type of steak and one type of fish with very few side dishes. I thought they were supposed to have similar food to what was being served in the dining room, but that didn't appear to be the case that time. Still we found enough to eat(mostly with desserts!)

Tuesday-Skagway

Because of the azipod problems, our schedule was changed so we arrived in Skagway about 4 hours later than what the original itineary showed. We arrived there around 11:15 which was a little earlier than the 11:30-noon they had predicted we would be there. We were at the dock that was furthest from town, so we had a bit of a walk. They did have shuttles available as well. The weather was cloudy, but no rain and in the mid to upper 50s.

We had reserved a car with Avis to drive to Emerald Lake using Yukon's wonderful guide. However, it took us awhile to find the Avis office. It is not at the location the reservation informationi tells you, it's in a tiny motel/apartment looking room in a brown building on second street with a fountain next to it. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find, but had to ask about 4 different people until we found someone who even had any idea where the office was.

Once we found it and told the guy our name he said "You were supposed to pick up your car at 8." I told him I had called several weeks ago to inform them that we wouldn't be picking the car up until around noon due to the change in our ships schedule, but apparently no one wrote it down like they said they would. He said he had several other cars that no one had picked up yet, so there were probably other people also on the Serenade who rented cars. They still had our car, a red Malibu. The car was clean and we had no problems with it.

We drove out to Emerald Lake and the sceneary was just gorgeous. We stopped at most of the pull-outs to take pictures and saw very few other vehicles. There were a few tour buses and vans that were out and a couple other cars. We didn't see any wildlife during our drive, but the sceneary was enough for us. The mountains and lakes were just breathtaking and it was so nice to go at our own pace and stop where we wanted. Thank you again Murray for the wonderful guide! I lost my place sometimes trying to follow the mileage in the guide since we forgot to reset the mileage thing in the car, but the pictures helped in catching up. I definately recommend renting a car and taking the drive, espeically if you are on a budget.

We drove straight to Emerald Lake then came back to stop at Caribou Crossing. This is the one dissapointment of hte trip. I wanted to see the husky puppies there. We were pretty hungry so we first went into the cafe and got a piece of pie and cake. They were pretty good, but expensive. We then walked into the giftshop/wildlife musuem where they told us to go to see the dogs. The guy told us it was $7 each to see the museum and the dogs. I told him we just wanted to see the dogs and he said we couldn't do that, we had to pay the $7 for both. He kept telling us about the museum and how we wouldn't see anything like it anywhere else, but we weren't interested and we didn't really have that much time. Finally we gave up and left, because we didn't want to spend $14 just to see the dogs for a few minutes. I was pretty dissappointed though as I thought you could just see the dogs for free.

We drove back to Carcross, stopping at the smallest desert and walked around Carcross for a few minutes. I was still hungry so we stopped at the Shell gas station/restaurant/laundrymat and I got a sandwhich. It was pretty good. We then drove back, stopping a few more times on the way back. When we got back to Skagway we drove up to the overlook above town, then headed to the gas station where we paid $3.67/gallon. We then returned the car and walked around town a bit. We went to teh Gold Rush Museum which is small, but interesting. I didn't really like the rest of Skagway too much, way too touristy and too many jewelry shops and wayyy to many people in port that day. I think there were 5-6 ships there so people were spilling all over the sidewalks. I'm not sure how people don't get runover there either since they cross the street right in front of tour buses or walk in the middle of the street and stop to take a picture. I also had a pretty bad headache by this time so just headed back to ship around 5:30.

I rested a bit and felt a lot better so we made it to dinner in the dining room. It was casual night this night. (Smart casual and Italian night were on the night we were at Hubbard, which we missed since we were watching the glacier.)

More to come, this review is taking awhile.........

Cruisechick,

I loved your photos! To my surprise I saw a picture of myself standing next to the helicopter on Herbert Glacier. My mother and I were on your same helicopter trip. I also saw you on deck one other time I believe.

I haven't really looked at my photos yet, but if I happen to have any of you and your husband I'll get them to you. I don't think I do right off hand...but will look.

I'm glad y'all had a wonderful trip and a safe trip home. We are still looking for our luggage. We have one found and still missing 3....oh joy.

Take care,

Paul

Thanks for the great review and the beautiful pictures. I am going on this cruise next August, we currently have a balcony cabin on the starboard side. Will we be able to see the glaciers and such from there or should we be on the other side? There are still quite a few cabins available so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch. Thanks in advance.

Sue

Thursday-Juneau (Skagway post above was really on Wednesday, not Tuesday)

Unfortunately we were greeted in Juneau with gloomy weather and lots of rain. Once again we were the ship docked far away from town. It was about a 30-35 min. walk to downtown, but they had a shuttle available for $2pp, good for all day. We bought tickets for the shuttle which dropped us off right in front of the Mt.Roberts tram.

We had planned on taking Mt. Roberts tram in the morning and doing some hiking on the mtn. but with the cold and rain we decided it wouldn't be the most fun. We decided to take a city and Mendenhall tour instead with Might yGreat Trips that we picked up at the dock. The tour didn't leave until 9 so we browsed so of the shops in downtown for an hour. We picked up a couple things, but most of the shops were jewelry or tourist trinkets. I meant to go to the Glacier Smoothie shop but forgot. The nice thing is that with the rain, there were very few other people out at all.

At 9:00 we boarded the MGT tour bus for our tour. Our driver was very funny and informative of the area. He made fun of the tourists several times including the fact that people walk right into the street in front of a bus to take a picture. He also made fun of the Red Dog Saloon(If that's the one in Juneau, I get it mixed up with the one in Skagway of a similar name)He said he didn't know what they tell us on the ship to make us flock to that place, but that unlike the one in Skagway, the Red Dog is neither historic nor authentic. He also made fun of the jewelry stores by asking us if we have jewelry stores at home and why we would spend thousands of dollars to come to Alaska to pay twice as much for a piece of jewelry as at home. It was pretty funny.

On the tour he told us some of the history of the area and we went by the capitol building and the governor's mansion before heading out to Chapel by the Lake. The Chapel was very pretty and serene and would look even nicer in better weather than what we had that day. After the chapel, we headed over to Mendenhall Glacier. We had 45 min. to walk around there. There were a lot of people there despite the rain. We walked the trail over the salmon stream and we saw several fish. The tour guide said that there had been bear sightings on 9 of 11 of his past tours, but we didn't see any bears that day. We walked over the the overlook by the lake and took some pictures, but the rain and fog made it hard to see the glacier very clear. On the way back to town we stopped at another salmon stream. This one was full of fish.

We arrived back at the tram around 11:45 and Coastal was supposed to pick us up at 12:15 for our helicopter flight. Luckily a shuttle bus arrived within a few minutes to take us back to the ship where Coastal was picking us up at. We hurried back to our rooms so I could change since my jeans and socks were pretty wet. I wasn't really cold, just wet. We then hurried up to the Windjammer to grab a couple sandwiches which we ate in the elevator on the way back down to the gangway.

We ran off the ship and got stopped by the crowd of people on the ship's excursions. It was kinda annoying, everyone on the ship's excursions were all crowded around at the edge of the gangway, blocking it for everyone trying to get off the ship.I spotted the Coastal van out by the street and knew it was time for us to meet them. I finally had to practically push people out of the way and shout "excuse me" to get through since everyone seemed kind of oblivious to the fact that they were blocking the entire exit from the ship. We ran over to the van and they told us that they were still flying today. We had thought our flight might be cancelled because of the weather. I think Coastal was the one operator flying all day. Some of the other tour operators weren't operating in the morning from what I heard from the MGT tour operator.

We stopped to pick up a couple more people on our way to the airport. We had to listen to a brief safety message about helicopter safety about how you shouldn't put your hands in the air while standing under the helicopter blades and other stuff. We we arrived at Coastal they weighed us in and checked our shoes to see if they had enough traction. Mine were fine, but my husband had to put boots over his shoes.

We went outside and they loaded us into the helicopter. This was probably the scariest part for me since the helicopter is running while you get into it. We got buckled in and soon we were off. We flew up to Herbert Glacier and hte view was amazing, even with the rain. We landed on the glacier and spent about 15 min. or so walking around. It wasn't raining on the glacier which was nice. The ice is really as blue as you hear about and it really is like being on another planet. It wasn't very cold on the glacier either.

After awhile we climbed back in the helicopter and headed back. Our pilot was great at pointing out the sights and features of the glacier. We even saw several mountain goats fairly close by. As awesome as walking on the glacier was, the best part by far was the flight. Seeing the glacier from the air was just wonderful. We landed safely back at Coastal and they took us back to the ship since we were only in port until 4. I highly recommend Coastal, they were just wonderful and the experience was amazing. They are also the cheapest and we were on a tight budget. This was our one big excursion for the trip and it was worth it.

Thursday was the second formal night and also lobster night.

Friday-Ketchikan

We arrived to another cloudy day in Ketchikan, but the rain held off for most of the day. Luckily,we were finally docked right in town. We didn't have anything booked here so we just walked around and did all of our shopping here. (Not for jewelry ;) ) We considered kayaking, but it was just way to expensive.

We walked down to Creek Street which was pretty neat. Ketchikan did seem to have the most stores selling stuff made in Alaska once you go away from the docks a little. We bought some pictures, a candle, some ornaments, a photo album, and some candy amoung other things. We even found a really pretty helicopter ornament with prisms on it. Probably not made in Alaska, but it was a neat thing to remember our helicopter flight in Juneau.

After walking around for a few hours we went back to the ship for lunch. After having lunch we went back out for another hour of two to finish up our shopping.

Saturday-Inside Passage cruising

A sad day, our last day on the ship.:( The morning started out nice, but then turned foggy until after lunchtime. We had lunch in the dining room which was a nice place for lunch. I loved the calamari there and the creme brulee was very good too.

The weather started to clear up and it was very nice out on deck so we spent some time just sitting out on deck. It got cold and foggy again for awhile and headed down to the Solarium. While in there we spotted something swimming in the water, I'm not sure if it was whales or dolphins or what exactly, but I saw them a couple times.

After awhile the fog cleared up again for good this time. It happened right as we passed a beautiful lighthouse that I happened to capture some pictures of. My husband went to take a nap for awhile and I spent the rest of the day just sitting or mostly standing out on deck since the weather was finally pleasant. I saw the world't largest totem pole, although it was tough to see,even with my binoculars. It was definately tall though.

Later on in the afternoon the captain said we would be sailing through the orca whale feeding grounds in 30 min. I ran down to the cabin to wake up my husband and bring him out on deck. Sure enough, about half and hour later the captain annouced that they had spotted a pod of orcas. More orcas showed up and the captain stopped the boat so we could watch them. They were everywhere, it was incredible! The captain said he had never seen such a show of whales like this before. He even invited the crew to come out on deck and see the orcas. It ws just a wonderful experience.

After awhile we started moving again so we could stay on schedule to hit Seymour Narrows on time at slack tide around 8:30. It was getting close to dinnertime so we headed on down to get ready for our last dinner on the Serenade.

Dinner was wonderful again and the crew sang their farewell song to us. Our waitstaff were really wonderful throughout the cruise and we throughly enjoyed our table for 2.

After dinner I went outside to capture some pictures of the beautiful sunset and we stayed out on deck to watch the ship creep through Seymour Narrows, the narrowest spot of hte inside passage. The moon was out and the sky was clear and it was a beautiful night. It was dark by the time we got to the narrows, which are pretty narrow. The power lines that span over the narrows just barely seem to clear over the top of the ship.

Later that night we went to the Love & Marriage game show. It was hilarious. After the show it was time for the Midnight Gala buffet. I never could understand the eating at midnight thing, but the display is incredible so we went in to take pictures. It was sooo crowded though and the traffic flow through the dining room wasn't working well so I took a couple pictures from the stairs and then snuck out of the dining room.

Sunday

We got up early to eat breakfast in the dining room. They got to know us there as the couple who always asked for a table for 2. We just prefer to sit by ourselves. After our last yummy breakfast there we headed back to our room to get our carry on bags and went to deck 5 to wait. And wait. And wait.

We were taking Quickshuttle to Seattle and our bus was supposed to leave at 9:15. They kept calling every other color except ours. It was also very hard to understand what the guy was saying. I wish they would repeat what colors they have called periodically. Finally at about 8:40 they called our color. We waited in line for customs. They only had 2 people doing customs, but luckily we ended up with the guy who didn't even look at our ids or say a word, he just stamped our card and waved us by. We ran to the baggage claim, found our luggage and checked in with the QuickShuttle booth which was just to the right of the door. We were on the bus around 9:10, but they told us we wouldn't leave until 9:30 since they were still missing several people. So be careful if you are taking quickshuttle, since RCCL took forver to call our color. Maybe carrying off your own luggage is a better idea.

Finally the bus left and after a stop at Canada place, left Vancouver. The driver provided some commentary as we were leaving Vancouver about the area. The drive back to Seattle was pretty, but not as pretty as the Amtrak train. We made it through customs pretty quickly as we didn't have to take off our luggage this time. We arrived at Seatac just about 10min. behind the original schedule. We had an uneventful flight home and landed in St.Louis around 11:00P.M.

Overall it was a wonderful trip and I want to go back. Alaska is so beautiful and there is so much more I want to see.

The crew on the Serenade were wonderful and we enjoyed the food in the dining room very much although the Windjammer was a little more hit or miss.

We didn't go to any of the shows as they aren't really our thing and we were usually asleep by then so we could get up early the next morning and watch the sunrises and look at the sceneary.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

Sounds like you had a great cruise! Thanks for the detailed review.

"I saw the world't largest totem pole, although it was tough to see,even with my binoculars. It was definately tall though."

I managed to get a picture of it quite by accident. Didn't even know it was located in Alert Bay until I was researching some of the shots I got after the cruise. I just saw we were passing a beautiful little native fishing village on an island and snapped away at it :)

Archived