Crossing the Atlantic Ocean in December Question?

Ruth

We took the MSC Opera from Genoa, Italy to Florida this past December. We have fallen in love with MSC and this was our second transatlantic crossing. We were at sea six days and the weather was very nice. I believe one day there were ten foot swells, but you would never know it walking around the ship as we never had a problem walking. The weather was chilly, but not as cold as we expected.

I hope this helps you.

I too am very interested in the December Atlantic weather as I also have a 5 day long crossing. I am disappointed to hear it was chilly but hopefully as my crossing is more southerly (due south in fact, to Brazil) it'll be a bit warmer.

When I was on the Opera, last September, rounding the southern tip of mainland Greece, we apparently, according to the cabin tv info screen experienced 35ft waves. Certainly the seas came a surprisingly long way up the side of the ship - not far below the level of the dining room windows. Opera rode these waves very smoothly with only a little movement (a shimmy, aft, where my cabin was) - just enough for me to feel queasy - but that may have been down to me eating far too much at the Gala dinner! I was so impressed that I am happy to risk the, possibly larger swells, of the winter Atlantic and have even requested a cabin as aft as possible to again take advantage of the large terraces.

HI RUTH!!!

Crossing the Atlantic is always a crap shoot...however...December can be absolutely delightful as most of the Hurrican type weather is long gone. Will you be on an MSC ship??? If so...you will be taking the Southern Atlantic route which will make for calmer seas and better weather (we hope...LOL):)

Have a great voyage...and don't forget the Bonine...just in case!!!

• 6 years later...

I sailed on a TA onboard the Celebrity Silhouette this past December. We took a more southerly route with 7 days at sea from Tenerife to Ft. Lauderdale. We lucked out with weather. The temperatures were in the mid to upper 70's with fairly calm seas... Europe was a bit cooler/wetter though....

I too am very interested in the December Atlantic weather as I also have a 5 day long crossing. I am disappointed to hear it was chilly but hopefully as my crossing is more southerly (due south in fact, to Brazil) it'll be a bit warmer.

LOL, but remember that what is chilly for someone who comes from Florida (or California where I live), might be downright stinking-hot for someone that comes from your part of the world. It is just what we are used to that influences our perception.

I've even read reviews on here where people are amazed at children swimming on the ship in the middle of winter - but then put it down to the fact that those children probably live in a much colder climate and are enjoying the "less cold" weather.

Can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to use this board? One problem I'm having is contacting a particular person (in this Cookie 384) to sign up to play bridge on the TA portion of the cruise. Not sure I even put this question in the right place. Thanks! Suzanne

Try the "New Cruisers" forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=631

What you could do is look for your cruise's Roll Call. Go to the home page and select your cruise line

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ , then you search for the particular ship, and then search to see if there is a Roll Call for your sailing date. Once you find that then post a message there asking the person to contact you now/once onboard.

I see that your user-name is an e-mail address, so you could tell that person to e-mail you directly if interested. I don't think that private messaging is active within CC, so you would have to e-mail, or give the person your real name there in your Roll-Call, and they could leave a message at Guest Services for you once they board.

Anyone ever crossed the Atlantic Ocean in December....we will have a 5 day acrossing ...Wanted to know about weather...waves etc...

Thanks

What route are you taking? The route will determine the sea and therefore air temperature.

Away from land, sea conditions follow but trail, time-wise, the wind direction and strength. If you have a strong wind in one direction for a day or more, the sea will rise to meet it. On a large ship with stabilisers you will barely feel it - just the occasional slight judder as one stabiliser or another takes over. If conditions get really bad, e.g. force 10+ winds for a while, the stabilisers cannot be used for risk of damaging them, then you and all your fellow passengers will feel it.

It doesn't really matter the time of year except for local effects, e.g. the hurricane season in the Caribbean, etc., high winds are far rarer in the open seas than on or near land, but they can occur at any time of year.

I am sensitive to sea sickness but I am accustomed to it. I have chosen an aft cabin on deck 13 for my cruise in just a few days time. That is one of the worst places (high-up at an extreme end) to be in rough seas. If I feel queasy, I will make my way to the bar mid-ships low down on deck 5.

The chances are you will be completely fine. Just be sensibly prepared and enjoy it regardless.

Oh, and take some warm clothes so that you can still enjoy being out on deck even if the weather is cold. It can feel a little claustrophobic if everyone is inside and the weather is rough.

Tim.

QE2Bathing.jpg

Archived