Rum Point tours

Iceman-007

• 2 weeks later...

We are also interested in not visiting the sting rays.

We are not really concerned about a sting although my son did get stung while in California by one and said it was very painful. We would like to stop a reef and snorkel also as well as Run Point!

Adrienne:)

can anyone recomend me a tour that goes to rum point , that does not vist sting ray city because I am afraid of being attacked by a sting ray which is extremely painfull

The stingrays at Stingray City will not attack you! Stingrays are just not aggressive animals. The ones there at the sand bar have been there for years and are only interested in the squid snacks. You are given instructions on how to behave in the water and how to shuffle your feet along the bottom so as not to step on one. It's very safe and an amazing experience. Please don't miss it for the unfounded fear of being attacked! That said, I don't know of any tours that stop at Rum Point other than the one so many of us have done that includes Stingray City, snorkeling and then a couple of hours at Rum Point. There may be some, but after months and months of reading here prior to my last cruise, I never came across any other tours that include Rum Point. You could rent a car I suppose and drive yourself there.

I highly recommend the Rays Reef and Rum Point tour by Nativeway. The stop at Stingray City is not all that long, no more than an hour, and you don't need to get out of the boat, and then the rest of the tour is just what you want, and a blast! It will be fun watching the rays from the boat.

My guess is that after you see how gentle the rays are, you will want to at least walk around with them. I don't remember that they make contact with you on their own. We are going again next month and I have no concern - it was a freak accident! I seriously would be much more concerned about an unexpected storm coming up and a lightning strike, I'm guessing its statistically much more likely.

I highly recommend the Rays Reef and Rum Point tour by Nativeway. The stop at Stingray City is not all that long, no more than an hour, and you don't need to get out of the boat, and then the rest of the tour is just what you want, and a blast! It will be fun watching the rays from the boat.

My guess is that after you see how gentle the rays are, you will want to at least walk around with them. I don't remember that they make contact with you on their own. We are going again next month and I have no concern - it was a freak accident! I seriously would be much more concerned about an unexpected storm coming up and a lightning strike, I'm guessing its statistically much more likely.

After reading all the post about the sting rings I have changed my mind about the sting rays and now I am looking forward to it. However I still afraid of snorkeling with Nativeways with the reefs rays, and rum point because there are moray eels that can cause server injury if you are bit, and I afraid I may accidedently bump into one on the reeef and get bit. Is there any way I can avoid the eels in the reef so I don't have to worry about getting bit.

I am worried about the current taking me out to sea too, as I heard about the current from one member.

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com offers a Jeep tour of the rum cake factory, followed by petro's bluffs, then two hours at Rum Point. I'm thinking of booking this, as neither hubby nor I am very keen on ocean creatures. :o

we did this tour earlier this month and was not disapointed. There are tastings at the rum cake factory and I realized when I got home I bought too few :( Wish I would have purchased more.

The bluff was a different view, the tour was nice and Rum Point Beach is BEAUTIFUL! Very calm waters - no waves. You can eat, drink, have sun or shade. There are lounge chairs and hammocks for relaxing. It looks like the scene in the Corona commercial.

I would love to go back to this beach again. That was the favorite part of this port for me.

Iceman - my DW and I have done many snorkel excursions, both in the Caribbean and Hawaii, but at the same time we are extremely cautious. Addressing your concerns:

A tour like Nativeway is the safest way you can go, because one of the guys from the boat does it as a "guided tour", and if you let him know you have any concerns he will keep a special eye on you. First of all, wear a snorkel vest, it gives you great security.

I have absolutely no recollection of any significant current at the Cayman reef. This is a concern of mine also, in fact I just put a question into the Cozumel thread about the current at that location.

Moray eels - We've seen relatively few in the Caribbean. However, in Hawaii, where they are all over the place, I've learned that their tendency to stick their heads up when you are close is just a defensive gesture. They really don't bite unless you actually stick your hand in their hole. We've done lots of snorkelling gliding 4-5 feet above Moray holes and never had a bit of problem. If you are down to 2-3 feet above the coral, you might see a Moray head once in a while but have never seen a really aggressive move. So, if you just stay a few feet above the coral you will never have a problem. One thing we loved about the nativeway is that your guide will take a Moray out of his hole and demonstrate their behavior - very interesting! They usually also do the same with a nurse shark - you get to touch!

A tour is such a great way to address your snorkelling fears because it is a controlled environment - those guys don't stay in business by returning people to the cruise ship with injuries. We feel so much safer on a tour, in comparison to a some of the beach snorkels in Hawaii, where there may be very few people around, and less is known about the nature of the reef.

Just do it, and have fun!!!!!

There are a few tours that can do that.

Here is a custom boat tour that you can pick your stops including snorkel, rum point or stingray city Outrage Eco Tour

I see that there is also a Wave Runner Tour that goes to Rum Point Sandbar and stingray city but I'm sure you could stay on the wave runner and just see the stingrays rather then getting in the water

These are great suggestions and the suggestion about the jeep is great also. We do want the wave run at some port.

The tour time was 1 1/2 hrs so I guess there's not much time on Rum point. I am leaning toward Native Ways.

Thanks for all the great and helpful posts!

Iceman - my DW and I have done many snorkel excursions, both in the Caribbean and Hawaii, but at the same time we are extremely cautious. Addressing your concerns:

A tour like Nativeway is the safest way you can go, because one of the guys from the boat does it as a "guided tour", and if you let him know you have any concerns he will keep a special eye on you. First of all, wear a snorkel vest, it gives you great security.

I have absolutely no recollection of any significant current at the Cayman reef. This is a concern of mine also, in fact I just put a question into the Cozumel thread about the current at that location.

Moray eels - We've seen relatively few in the Caribbean. However, in Hawaii, where they are all over the place, I've learned that their tendency to stick their heads up when you are close is just a defensive gesture. They really don't bite unless you actually stick your hand in their hole. We've done lots of snorkelling gliding 4-5 feet above Moray holes and never had a bit of problem. If you are down to 2-3 feet above the coral, you might see a Moray head once in a while but have never seen a really aggressive move. So, if you just stay a few feet above the coral you will never have a problem. One thing we loved about the nativeway is that your guide will take a Moray out of his hole and demonstrate their behavior - very interesting! They usually also do the same with a nurse shark - you get to touch!

A tour is such a great way to address your snorkelling fears because it is a controlled environment - those guys don't stay in business by returning people to the cruise ship with injuries. We feel so much safer on a tour, in comparison to a some of the beach snorkels in Hawaii, where there may be very few people around, and less is known about the nature of the reef.

Just do it, and have fun!!!!!

I e-mailed nativeways about the current and they said there can be strong or moderate current if there is a storm in the area

so should I be worried about being taken out to sea if there is a current because of a storm , right now I am worried about it

PSCRUISER if I take a tour with nativeways I will make a post about it

I am not sure if I should take the nativeways tour or pay more money and take the wave runner (Sea Doo) tour.

Iceman - all I can say is that I felt very safe at that reef. Remember, you will have flotation so you can't sink. If the tour guide sees that you are getting beyond where you should be, they would come and pick you up. I'm guessing that no one has ever been lost on a commercial tour at that reef by floating away. Think of it as the equivelent of swimming (with flotation) at a well guarded beach.

Iceman,

My 9 year-old son and I did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour through Nativeways last year and I am bringing the whole family along this year (wife, mom, sister, BIL, nieces). There is one moray eel on the reef section and one Nurse shark. You have to swim down to see them about 10 feet, as they are holed up at the bottom of the reef. The reef acts as a current barrier and you snorkel on the inside of it. There may be some waves and a slight current based on the wind, but I have been snorkeling at other open water locations and the current was much stronger. I hope this helps. This tour is a blast and Nativeways is great.

Tim

I may just do the sting ray and island tour and skip rum point. rays and city tour is 45 and the rays reefs rum point tour is 60$. The I looked at pictures of rum point online and it didn't look that great nor did it look tropical. It just looked like a bunch of regular pine trees.

If I do the city and rays tour I will proably take a cab to sea grape beach or some other beach since I can leave whenever I want.

I may also just do the ray tour and wander around town and take a cab to the beach

I looked at pictures of rum point online and it didn't look that great nor did it look tropical. It just looked like a bunch of regular pine trees.

My goodness I can't imagine what pics you saw of Rum Point where it didn't look "tropical"! It is THE most gorgeous beach. Definitely "great" and "tropical". The water there is absolutely the clearest water I've ever seen. The food was really good, too. It's a place I'll go back to, for sure!

My goodness I can't imagine what pics you saw of Rum Point where it didn't look "tropical"! It is THE most gorgeous beach. Definitely "great" and "tropical". The water there is absolutely the clearest water I've ever seen. The food was really good, too. It's a place I'll go back to, for sure!

the water is nice and I like the peer. but there are next to no palm trees , something needs lots of palm trees to be tropical like Hawaii! I love palm trees. All the trees are plain ordinary trees that look dead.

If there was a tour that went to sting ray city and rum point beach I would go but there is not. I would have to pay an extra 30$ to go with nativeways Ray Reef and rum point.

Also I just found out there are moray eels there. I could proablly avoid them at the barrier reef because the water is like ten feet deep. However if I went in the water at Rum Point I might be attacked by these dangerous creatures and there teeth are designed to tear flesh and their bites cause severe injury. For example if I am snorkiling over the coral in the shallow water I may accidently hit one and the eel may bite me! Am I just being paranoid!!? Can I avoid the Moray Eeels?

pictures of rum point

http://www.eandbcaymans.com/2Attractions%20a%20Rum%20Point.htm

Iceman, you really are a Pool guy! Being from the East coast where sea weed, sharks, whales & jelly fish amongst other creatures of the sea live, we get used to having a good time in frigid salt waters. The idea of swimming in temperate clean waters is fabulous. I have been to Grand Cayman and most of the other Caribbean islands without fear of "sea creatures". Jelly fish are probably the most dangerous but beaches usually post when they are present such as at Labadee or Bermuda.

Do try something new and relax. Last time I saw a Morey eel it was at the aquarium! The Jeep 4x4 tour may be the best for you to experience the island with some beach time at Rum Point.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

the water is nice and I like the peer. but there are next to no palm trees , something needs lots of palm trees to be tropical like Hawaii! I love palm trees. All the trees are plain ordinary trees that look dead.

If there was a tour that went to sting ray city and rum point beach I would go but there is not. I would have to pay an extra 30$ to go with nativeways Ray Reef and rum point.

Also I just found out there are moray eels there. I could proablly avoid them at the barrier reef because the water is like ten feet deep. However if I went in the water at Rum Point I might be attacked by these dangerous creatures and there teeth are designed to tear flesh and their bites cause severe injury. For example if I am snorkiling over the coral in the shallow water I may accidently hit one and the eel may bite me! Am I just being paranoid!!? Can I avoid the Moray Eeels?

pictures of rum point

http://www.eandbcaymans.com/2Attractions%20a%20Rum%20Point.htm

Yeah, I think you're being paranoid. Overly so! Having JUST done this tour with NativeWay, I can tell you, there was ONE morray eel living in the reef area where you snorkel, and he's waaaay down there - you would have to swim down to the coral rocky area ON PURPOSE and then reach into the dark hole in order to attract his attention. The guides go down with food in hand in order to get him to pop out, and even THEY have a hard time coaxing him out. He's not an attack eel! (none of them are; they'll only defend themselves, then that would be your fault! ;) ) Doesn't sound to me like you're going to go around provoking eels anyway! And there aren't any eels at Rum Point - the water is super shallow and crystal clear as far out as you care to go. There aren't any coral reefs or craggy hiding places for scary sea creatures. I think you're really missing out on a super fun day to NOT go. When we got to the snorkeling part with our tour, some people didn't snorkel, no problem. We weren't there long, so it wasn't insufferable for those who chose not to get in the water.

I may just do the sting ray and island tour and skip rum point. rays and city tour is 45 and the rays reefs rum point tour is 60$. The I looked at pictures of rum point online and it didn't look that great nor did it look tropical. It just looked like a bunch of regular pine trees.

If I do the city and rays tour I will proably take a cab to sea grape beach or some other beach since I can leave whenever I want.

I may also just do the ray tour and wander around town and take a cab to the beach

I highly highly recommend Rays, Reefs and Rum Point. I can't say enough good things about the entire tour. Once you see Rum Point you will be so glad that you booked the tour. I have pictures if you are interested. We booked this tour just to get us to Rum Point and it was the highlight of our trip. We requested to not stop at Barrier Reef and go directly to Rum Point and since we had a group of 14 they said it was ok. What happened though was one person in our group got on the last tender out and we were very late - we had to share a boat and had to make a stop at Barrier Reef - well can I just say that we were all so glad we made this stop. The snorkeling was fantastic and if you are afraid of the eels or to wander around you can just tread water next to the boat, peak your head in the water and you will be amazed at what you see. Each stop is the perfect amount of time. It was a wonderful excursion and I don't think I can ever get board from it. I would be more then happy to share my pictures with you. For starters here are some pictures of Rum Point -- Enjoy!!

331260996305_0_ALB.jpg

507578996305_0_ALB.jpg

884222996305_0_ALB.jpg

And as far as Sting Ray City Sandbar....just being in the middle of the ocean standing in a sand bar with nothing else around you but water is truly AMAZING!! :o

Here's an excellent website for Rum Point Beach pictures and info. www.eandbcaymans.com/2Attractions%20a%20Rum%2... There may not be many palm trees but it is one of the prettiest locations IMO. Our family loves to cruise and a stop in Grand Cayman wouldn't be the same without Rum Point Beach. FYI....the last time we were there we ventured out a little further (snorkeling) and did see an eel! Scared my 13yr old daughter but she now boasts it was cool!! ~Barb~

Archived