luaus.. are they worth it?

cruisingisforme

Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone went to a LUAU and didn' enjoy it? My huband is being a brat, he feels that the appox $100.00 per peson charge is a little much. So my question is, is the luau booked thru the ship or any other worth the price.

I would like to settle this argument.

THanks,

C.:confused:

I say no, they definately aren't worth $100 per person. Maybe I would pay $40 per person to do it once but that would be tops.

We went to a Luau on Maui a couple years ago at the Hyatt Hotel. It was a huge ordeal, right on the beach with probably 300 of my closest friends. It had an elaborate show, lots of belly dancers, fire dancers, drums, (you can just picture it in your head) etc. Then the food was all buffet style. Lots of food that was pretty good ~ as good as food gets served to 300 people.

My dh and I went for free as part of a package with our hotel. I saw it, it was just OK. I wouldn't go back again unless it was free.

We went, we enjoyed it. We really did have a good time, and we were celebrating a special occassion as well. Would we do it again? Maybe, but probably at a different venue.

We did not do the ship's luau. We did Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali on Maui. The Old Lahaina Luau is supposed to be good, but you usually have to reserve it well in advance. It may be worth checking into luaus you can do on your own, especially if you will have an overnight stay on one of the islands.

We went, we enjoyed it. We really did have a good time, and we were celebrating a special occassion as well. Would we do it again? Maybe, but probably at a different venue.

We did not do the ship's luau. We did Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali on Maui. The Old Lahaina Luau is supposed to be good, but you usually have to reserve it well in advance. It

We certainly would not do a luau if we were on a cruise ship.

Off of a ship we would go to Ulalena instead. We've been 3 times and it was fantastic.

http://www.ulalena.com/

http://www.mauitheatre.com/

Maui Theatre Presents 'Ulalena, a theatrical experience as impressive as the story. This is not just a theatre. It is a multi-million dollar, state-of-the-art venue built for this presentation. It employs the talents of some of Hawaii's most distinguished musicians and performers, combining live traditional Hawaiian music with 8-channel surround sound.

We certainly would not do a luau if we were on a cruise ship.

Off of a ship we would go to Ulalena instead. We've been 3 times and it was fantastic.

http://www.ulalena.com/

http://www.mauitheatre.com/

Maui Theatre Presents 'Ulalena, a theatrical experience as impressive as the story. This is not just a theatre. It is a multi-million dollar, state-of-the-art venue built for this presentation. It employs the talents of some of Hawaii's most distinguished musicians and performers, combining live traditional Hawaiian music with 8-channel surround sound.

This looks like a very interesting show. Parts of it look a little like Cirque du Soleil. since I haven't seen either one I really can't coment on either. We live in California so we can get to Vegas and see Cirque du Soleil most any week end.

The luau though is something different I think. Uleana looks interesting but not authentic Hawaiian like Old Lahaina Luau. You over look the fact that a luau is a show but also includes food and drink and plenty of it!:D

Thank you for all your imput.

When we dock, we are on the other side of the island and have to make our way to Lahania, which according to this site is a good 1.5 hours away. Thats the other thing is we have to make our own way if we want the Old Lahania luau. Or we could go thru the one by the ship but have to plan accordingly so we can get back to the ship in time from sightseeing (around 5 pm I think). :o From what I have read they talk about Maui as having the best, but we might have more time if did the luau on Kaui. Then part of me would think I am settling for 2nd best. Very confused.

So please give me some more imput.

Thanks.

When we dock, we are on the other side of the island and have to make our way to Lahania, which according to this site is a good 1.5 hours away. Thats the other thing is we have to make our own way if we want the Old Lahania luau.

We did the Old Lahania Luau, you are driving back to the port in the dark though if that's a concern. The road is good and well marked, but if you're used to city driving at night, this isn't it. I do have to say there was a stretch of roadway back into Kuhului that was 65 MPH, the fastest I saw on the whole trip. I must've made a wrong turn because I didn't see that on the way out... We thought it was worth the price. Even though it's buffet style, you are more than welcome to go back as often as you like. If you want to check out a few pics, there are some on the blog I did of the trip:

http://naashtezhi.blogspot.com/

If you'd like a few more of the crowd before the feast begins and the show starts, drop me a line and I'll send some to you. It's not like the luaus we saw in the 50's in the movies... (there's a few more people attending)

cruisingisforme: Sorry, but I have to side with your DH on the price issue. He's not being a brat, IMO; he's considering that that is quite a bit of money for a luau. Honestly, we don't consider it a "must do" at all--and most certainly not for $100. I realize that some people do consider it an absolute must do and wouldn't consider going to Hawaii and not going to a luau.

It kind of sounds like you consider it a must do, but your DH does not. Can you find one that's not quite so expensive? OLL is certainly tops when it comes to luaus, and I know it isn't cheap. The thing I fear though is that cheap luaus are cheaply done (I don't know, just guessing). So, it's a tough call. If the luau (and specifically OLL) is what you really, really want to do, then you should. I think that if it is that important to you, then your DH needs to respect that as well. And in that case, you need to pick a good one, which won't be cheap. Is it that he doesn't want to spend so much or is he not interested in going to a luau at all? I expect that the ship-sponsored excursion includes transportation, which would make the cost higher. If you're looking at doing OLL, then you need to consider the cost of going to one on your own plus factor in the cost of transportation (rental car or shuttle) as well. (Taxi from Kahului to Lahaina would be well over $100 r/t just for that.) Typically, it's 45 minutes to an hour from Kahului to Lahaina, but you do need to plan up to 1-1/2 hours because of traffic and road issues during peak driving times.

Sorry, this really didn't give you a yes or no. I guess the bottom line is that no, I don't believe any luau is worth $100.

beachchick

Are you doing a pre or post cruise stay on Oahu? There are several options there. We are doing the Polynesian Cultural Center and Horizons Luau Show. The basic luau package which includes admittance to the center and the dinner show - basically a whole day affair - is $80 per person. It doesn't include alcohol since it is run by the Mormon church but that wasn't a deal breaker for us.

There are also Germaine's and Paradise Cove Luaus on Oahu - which I believe are around $65 each.

On Kaui, there is Smith's Luau which is supposed to be pretty good.

Sometimes you can get discounts on these with the Entertainment book or other discount coupons available in the tourist magazines. We wanted to do a luau for the experience - and I think that is worth something.

Good luck with your decision.

I personally am not a big fan of luaus. They're just so touristy. But, it should be a once in a lifetime experience for someone visiting Hawaii.

I've had heard some great things about Paradise Cove (http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/).

So we went, and if I recall it was about $85 a person. I would not consider it personal and intimate. It is a luau. They are all catered to tourists. That said we had a fun time.

Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone went to a LUAU and didn' enjoy it? My huband is being a brat, he feels that the appox $100.00 per peson charge is a little much. So my question is, is the luau booked thru the ship or any other worth the price.

I would like to settle this argument.

THanks,

Some family members of ours went on the ship luau and said it was definitely NOT worth the price and they were disappointed. So when it came time to plan our PoAm cruise this past June we did lots of research and chose to attend the Kaanapali (Royal Lahaina) Beach Luau and had a FABULOUS time! In our opinion it was absolutely PERFECT and we loved the family-friendly show and especially the fire-dance finale, as well as the great food and beautiful beach setting. I cannot see what more you would want from a luau!! The Hawaiian and other Polynesian dancers were so was professional done (and our family is in show business), and they had an audience participation part for hula lessons, too. The buffet was efficiently organized and they had excellent food and very potent free Mai Tais and Blue Hawaiians (non-alcoholic drinks are also available). LOTS of coffee available, too, especially afterwards. We rented a car for both days on Maui and so just drove back and forth. I have a complete review of the Royal Lahaina Luau on Tripadvisor.com. We highly recommend it and we used this website to prebook discounted tickets (less than $50. per person): http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/

I have really had the same question. I was planning on going to PCC on Oahu and looking at the Ambassator package, but at $110 I am just having a hard time deciding it is worth it and the decision has been on again off again several times. Not having been before, I was supprised to find out it is a buffet. Still not sure if to do or not to do.

Hey,

Thank you all for your all you ideas. I too am conflicted. Keep changing my mind. We are flying from Toronto the day before and arrive at 1pm. We could go to a luau in Honolulu but realisticly I know we will be tired and won't last the night. We are travelling with 2 other couples. We plan on renting a car for the 2 days in Maui so it is possible we could go to OLL after sightseeing in the Lahania area. Then drive back to the ship. My husband wants to do the Hana road thing as well, so I thought we could do the the 2nd day. As someone had said on these threads you can plan way to much and have it rule the vacation. :(

Thats why I thought maybe do the luau in Kaui. I will check out the info on that luau that was mentioned. Cost is a factor as $100.00 is alot person, IMO. Several people felt it was worth it, others have their doubts. So much has been said about OLL, you think that it is the only one worth attending. I realize there must be others, then you think will I be settling for 2nd best.

This cruise has way more to offer sightseeing wise compared to the caribbean. You feel you want to do it all. Not enough time, but I realize I can 't cram everything.

Keep your ideas coming. :rolleyes:

Thanks

C.

As someone had said on these threads you can plan way to much and have it rule the vacation.

That would probably be me, and I can't stress it enough. Honestly? I think doing OLL and then doing Hana all day the next day is too much. You need to get an early start on the road to Hana, especially since this would be your second day on Maui and you need to be back at the ship before departure, and plan to spend all day. I fear that you may feel either overtired or rushed, but that's just me--I believe in not trying to cram each day to the brim.

lambs2 has some good information for you, but again that would be on Maui and you have the road to Hana day to consider. As for luaus on Kauai, I seem to remember a thread about that several months ago. I suggest you do an advanced search on this forum only for "kauai luau" and/or "best luau" and search back about 6 months. I think you might find the thread about Kauai luaus, which might help your planning.

beachchick

If you have never been to a luau and are in Oahu, you should go to the Paradise Cove luau. I do not consider the PCC luau, a real luau. The pig is shown on the stage and not a real beach. The buffet & show were mediocre and rushed. There must have been 500 people being fed. You are paying a premium price to sit near the stage, for Horizons. We did the $80 package and we could see the show fine. We were in row "O". We spent the day at PCC and it was great. Next time, I will not pay for the Luau buffet and I will eat at one of the restaurants in PCC. However, we will sit in the back, for the show. The Mormons really know how to run the place.

Hey,

Thank you all for your all you ideas. I too am conflicted. Keep changing my mind. We are flying from Toronto the day before and arrive at 1pm. We could go to a luau in Honolulu but realisticly I know we will be tired and won't last the night. We are travelling with 2 other couples. We plan on renting a car for the 2 days in Maui so it is possible we could go to OLL after sightseeing in the Lahania area. Then drive back to the ship. My husband wants to do the Hana road thing as well, so I thought we could do the the 2nd day. As someone had said on these threads you can plan way to much and have it rule the vacation. :(

Thats why I thought maybe do the luau in Kaui. I will check out the info on that luau that was mentioned. Cost is a factor as $100.00 is alot person, IMO. Several people felt it was worth it, others have their doubts. So much has been said about OLL, you think that it is the only one worth attending. I realize there must be others, then you think will I be settling for 2nd best.

This cruise has way more to offer sightseeing wise compared to the caribbean. You feel you want to do it all. Not enough time, but I realize I can 't cram everything.

Keep your ideas coming. :rolleyes:

Thanks

C.

Let me be precise - it is not worth it! However if you rationalize by saying it is a "Dinner and a Show" and then it becomes comparable with a US dinner theatre. And you will hate yourself forever if you don't. It is a part of Hawaii tradition that will remain in your mind a long, long time!

One touristy luau is all anyone needs to go to in a lifetime IMHO. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and went to a few, high end at Kona Village and Hilton Waikaloa, lower end at some hotel in Hilo, and private ones at christenings, birthdays and holidays. I am very easy and can always find something to ward off the hunger, but I have never been a fan of luau food. That being said, you do need to experience the dancers in Hawaii, men, women and children. If a luau is the only venue for you to see this then so be it. If I were on Maui I would go to the Ulalena production and maybe have dinner in Lahaina after the show, some really good restaurants there.

If you have an evening in Waikiki and don't want to spend the 1hr or so travel time each way to the PC or Germaines Luau, you may opt for what we found.

The Sheraton Princess Kiulani offers a dinner show featuring an authentic ( at least to tourists like us) Hawaiian dance show with the flamining torch dancer at the end. They offer a large buffet dinner first. I think their show offered everything but the sunset and pig in the ground.

We actually found out about this from a couple of ladies returning from Pearl Harbor on one of the shuttles. They had been to the PC luau the night before and in their opinion, found the Sheraton show just as good if not better than the PC.

You may also find some 2-4-1 coupons for the Sheraton show in the local booklets and hotel desks. We actually found one and paid $64 for the two of us for the dinner and show.

We had every intention of going to either PC or Germaines but we were still tired from the flight in the day before and the travel to and from the luaus didn't sound appealling. The Sheraton was right next to our hotel..

JW:cool:

We went to Maui a couple years back and had reservations for the Feast at Lele. The insider books mentioned that it was the best. Tablecloths, multi course meal - no buffett and right on beach. It is suppose to be very romantic! Well they cancelled since it rained the whole 7 days and nights we were there. So we ended up at The Old Lahaina luau. I did not think it was worth the money at all. The show was very short, the food just ok in my opinion and I am not picky. We paid a lot of money and at the end of the night the wait staff was in the walkways with their hands held out looking for a tip! A turn off to me. If I was going to be celebrating an event (like we did with our 30th anniversary) I would definitely try the Feast at Lele again. We are going next May and I am still trying to decide whether we will or not. I am also looking at Germaines. BUT, anyway, if you want to go to a luau do what ever you can to convince the hubby because if you are like me you will regret not going for a long time!!! You have spent that much money on this trip what is another couple of hundred of dollars??????? I try not to stress out about money;)

I guess I should probably "fess up" (as my mom would say) and tell you that, although DH has been to a luau in Hawaii, I have not. It's just never appealled to me as a "must do" on any level. I know that some people do feel that it is an absolute must do and that they will regret it or feel like they missed something really important. I respect that; it's simply that my opinion differs. There is so much in Hawaii to see and do that it's just never been a priority to us. I don't feel like I've missed the authentic Hawaii either. That may be because we prefer out of the way places and avoid most touristy things like the plague. It may also be because I've seen hula shows (do they still do the free Kodak Hula Show at Queen Kapiolani park?) and Polynesian shows (showing my age: numerous times at the Tahaitian Terrace in Disneyland), as well as little shows at places like Lahaina Cannery Mall (oh those kids are soooo cute). I can think of much, much better ways to spend my money. So, I don't know exactly what combination of factors makes me not care the slightest about going to a luau, but there you have it: I confess, I've never been to a luau in Hawaii.

As always, the preceeding has been JMHO.

beachchick

My Dear Wife has talked me into going to almost every Luau in Maui, at least once. I personnally enjoy going to them, but every time I do "I KNOW FOR A FACT" they are all overpriced. We spend nearly three months on Maui every year, its a great place to spend winter. She has a lot of time to work on getting me to waste money at a Luau.

Two years ago we went to the "Feast at Lee Lee" Its OK, the show is medicore (small scale) compared to some, yeah, its on the beach, yeah, its not a buffet, yeah, the drinks are better, yeah you are being served. Still its not worth the over $100 per person. I did not like the food (at the Feast) nearly as much as the "Drums of the Pacific" Luau, been to this one three times over the last 15 years, at least when I find something I like I can fill my plate with it at a Buffet. There was lots of stuff at the feast that just did not agree with my taste buds, your taste buds may love it. Have plenty of Mai Tai's and maybe you wont notice..........

If you don't mind overspending to go on an excursion, go to a Luau, but it might be your last. I also did not like the handout line that I experienced at the "Feast" In my Humble Opinion, the Drums of the Pacific is a bit less expensive, has better food, drinks are good, better show. OK, so you have to get in line for your food, but a short wait. The food is not as authentic, but who wants to eat wallpaper paste anyway...(POI)

Whatever you decide, relax and enjoy yourself.

Jim

$100 is pretty expensive for a luau. The value of things are different for everyone. I think if you appreciate the Hawaiian culture and are open to eating exotic food then you will no doubt get your money's worth.

Put it this way you can spend $50 for dinner at some fancy restuarant where you live feel like you got your money's worth, then I think spending around $50 to enjoy an authentic Hawaiian luau with entertainment in one of the most beautiful places in the world would also be very worth it.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you enjoy your Hawaii cruise. Don't forget to try the poi!

HawaiiCruiseGuru: You make a good point regarding restaurant cost vs luau (food, drink, and entertainment in one) cost. Are there high quality luaus that cost only $50--that would be a real benefit for many. For some people, a luau is the only way they may experience all those things. I do quibble with you though about how "authentic" some luaus are in Hawaii. I really appreciate when locals such as yourself steer posters to the best luaus; by which I mean most authentic entertainment, highest quality Hawaiian cuisine, and good drinks (guess that's a given), and I know that quality luaus don't often come cheap. (My understanding is that real ohana luaus are often casual celebrations at home; I would love to attend one of those.)

Those who don't choose a luau for whatever reason can still enjoy all the things a good luau offers. A luau is not the only place to eat "exotic" food or see Hawaiian/Polynesian entertainment or feel the real Hawaii. We've done all of those things, just not at the same time at a luau.

beachchick

PCC is $50 without the Luau. The $80 included the Luau. Therefore the Luau cost $30. My daughter did not want to do the Luau but I told her we would need to buy dinner anyway. I thought the kids would enjoy the Luau. However, we were way up high, far from the stage (because we came in late)The kids were excited choosing different foods. We got beautiful lais, worth at least $7. So think of it as paying for dinner.

Archived