luaus.. are they worth it?

cruisingisforme

If you buy through the website below the Royal Lahaina Luau right on Kaanapali beach in Maui is just under 50 dollars. We truly had a fabulous luau experience. Gorgeous beach setting at sunset, Imu pig ceremony, shell leis, potent drinks, delicious buffet and a really wonderful Polynesian show including a sensational fire dance finale! It truly was 'ALL THAT'!! Our Hawaiian vacation would not have been complete without this wonderful luau experience. I wrote a comprehensive revieyou can find on Tripadvisor.com.

http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/reservationrequest/activitylistings.asp?catkey=28&subcat=False&vendorid=&actkey=&page_size=5&current_page=1&island=2

lambs2 and ileene: Excellent. That's exactly the kind of information that people need to know. I can add that there is a coupon in the Entertainment Book for PCC. The coupon says "up to $40 savings" for buy one adult admission, get one free, so perhaps the admission price recently went up. (Of course the coupon also says "prices subject to change"; still $40 off is not too bad.)

beachchick

HI,

I think this is great all these comments regarding the luaus. Just what I wanted. LOTS of info. Sometimes overwhelming but great all the same. As beachchick ( I think it was her) said sometimes one can plan way to much. That being said when one is spending alot of hard earned money you want ( I want) to know it is well spent. Who knows if I will ever get back to Hawaii so I am planning it as it is my last.

Lambs2 had mentioned a web site to get the Royal Lahania luau for only $50.00. I think one has to go to a 90 minute time share. I have done way to many of these (for the free whatever) and I vowed never again.

I have narrowed it done to Royal lahania or the OLL. Kaui is out as a choice to see a luau as the good luaus are not on the day we are there.

Oahu is out as we have only the night before the cruise and I know we will be in bed sleeping from jet lag as we are arriving from Toronto. So that leaves good old Maui. Royal or OLL. They seem to be similar except I think (could be wrong) that OLL does not have the fire dancers. My husband, the one who was so so about going says he will only go to OLL as it is written up in several books as being the best. I said, well Royal seems to get a good vibe. Decided to rent a car, drive to Lahania, tour about and stay for the luau and drive back to the ship. It is the only way. I did find a couple of reviews on the POH luau and they were not favourable. And at that I had trouble even finding the luau. Wonder if it is only for the ship??

Time to think but if I leave it to late they will both be sold out. The other 2 couples and us are getting together this Sat to talk about the trip. If I were to book the luau now I have to pay up front the whole amount so it will have to wait until Sat. :o

But keep your thoughts and comments coming.

C.

HI,

I think this is great all these comments regarding the luaus. Just what I wanted. LOTS of info. Sometimes overwhelming but great all the same. As beachchick ( I think it was her) said sometimes one can plan way to much. That being said when one is spending alot of hard earned money you want ( I want) to know it is well spent. Who knows if I will ever get back to Hawaii so I am planning it as it is my last.

Lambs2 had mentioned a web site to get the Royal Lahania luau for only $50.00. I think one has to go to a 90 minute time share. I have done way to many of these (for the free whatever) and I vowed never again.

I have narrowed it done to Royal lahania or the OLL. Kaui is out as a choice to see a luau as the good luaus are not on the day we are there.

Oahu is out as we have only the night before the cruise and I know we will be in bed sleeping from jet lag as we are arriving from Toronto. So that leaves good old Maui. Royal or OLL. They seem to be similar except I think (could be wrong) that OLL does not have the fire dancers. My husband, the one who was so so about going says he will only go to OLL as it is written up in several books as being the best. I said, well Royal seems to get a good vibe. Decided to rent a car, drive to Lahania, tour about and stay for the luau and drive back to the ship. It is the only way. I did find a couple of reviews on the POH luau and they were not favourable. And at that I had trouble even finding the luau. Wonder if it is only for the ship??

Time to think but if I leave it to late they will both be sold out. The other 2 couples and us are getting together this Sat to talk about the trip. If I were to book the luau now I have to pay up front the whole amount so it will have to wait until Sat. :o

But keep your thoughts and comments coming.

C.

NOT TRUE!! No time share presentation is required WHATSOEVER! IF you want to go EVEN CHEAPER than you can do the timeshare thing, but we only went to the luau and there was NO OTHER OBLIGATION!!! We attended the Royal Lahaina (Kaanapali Beach) Luau on June 6, 2006 and had a spectacular night! t that time we only paid $46. per ticket and we purchased them through the website I gave before. They give a 1-800 number and we called that to make arrangements. Then they sent the tickets through email and I printed them. Worked PERFECTLY and NO TIME SHARE PRESENTATION!

I'm assuming all the luaus are at night? (sorry never been to Hawaii before). If they all start at 5pm then I'll need to find a luau in Honolulu. Does anybody know of a good luau in Honolulu. there is so much information it's overwhelming!!!

thanks.

CB

You could read this thread from the beginning or

http://www.germainesluau.com/index.shtml

Check out the luau at Paradise Cove.

Never pay the "walk up" rate for the luaus. Tourists pay from 48-108 dollars per adult depending on the luau, time of year, and package you purchase. Most places including the touristy magazines have coupons or packages that point you to discounters that sell the same packages for 30-40 each. Thats lesson number 1.

Number 2, As far as I know, the only one on Oahu that provides free Soft drinks is Germaine's Luau. This is why most of the high school/college packages go to that particular luau. with seating for 1000+, they can handle a pretty big group. My reccomendation is to show up early if driving (for all the luaus) and identify a bartender, make him/her your friend with a big slobbery tip and then the drinks flow very smoothly.

Number 3, there is no such thing as an authentic luau. The luau is an invention of tourism. Luaus by definition is a party, or gathering to share food and story. by that definition, my back yard in the summertime is a luau weekly as friends come over, play cards and enjoy each others company.

Any reference to an "authentic" luau is simply misguided.

Hey lambs2,

I looked again at the web site you provided and where you click to see what the terms & conditions are, is where it states "at some point you may be asked if you quailfy for a 90 - 120 minute presentation" etc. So I take you were not asked at all?? If so then I like the price which is $49.95 plus tax per person. A far more reasonable rate. :)

Let me know, or any one else if you you used that web site to book.

Thank you.

C.

I double checked my copy of the reservation that we used for the Royal Lahian Luau last June. The sheet shows that we actually booked it through Boss Frog. Here is another website that they also shows the 49.95 price. http://www.mauihawaiiluau.com/kaanapalibeachluau.html

My DH made our reservations and he says that he asked them when he called if the price meant you had to take a timeshare tour and he was told that it had nothing to do with timeshare, but if he wanted a CHEAPER price than she could get him another deal. He declined.

From all I have read the difference between the Royal Lahiana and the Old Lahaina Luaus boils down to a couple things: 1) The OLL is just a Hawaiian show while the Royal Lahaina features dance from all of Polynesia in their review. That is why there is no fire-dancing at the OLL, but there IS at the Royal Lahaina (and we found the fire dance to be the FANTASTIC!). The OLL also offers an option for traditional mat seating on the ground, the Royal L does not. 2) Big price difference. There ARE no discounted tickets available for the OLL, but we got almost 2 for 1 at the Royal Lahaina and had a fabulous night! 3) The Royal Lahaina is very family friendly.Actually, kids can get in free with an adult purchase, so there will be more children there. We did not find that was any problem whatsoever. In fact, they offered a time before the show where the kids could come up to learn the hula and we found that great (some adults also went up for the lessons)!

Well everyone who helped with my quest for a luau..we have booked the Old Lahania Luau. My husband who was so so about the whole thing, read several travel books and they all highly recommended OLL..so despite my protest for the Royal luau, we have booked OLL. We didn't get a discount

but we are going with another couple so I was outvoted for the Royal Lahania. We will have a great time I am sure. We took the seats with the tables. We couldn't sit on a mat, we are old crippled people, well we would be after sitting on a mat for a few hours. lol

I really appreciate everyones imput, Beachchick, lambs2, Tonyfred and all the others. Thankyou so much.

Thanks again.

C.

We are just back from spending a cruise and second week in Maui. Lucky us! We did the Old Lahaina Luau. I too debated whether to do one or not.

This is my experience. The first night we were in Honolulu we went to watch sunset at the Halekalani (sp?) hotel which is well known for its sunset and mai tais. They have a Hawaiin band and an ex-Miss Hawaii who does Hawaiin dancing. We were fortunate in that the evening we were there a renowned hula instructor was there with his wife and his adult daughter, each of them got up and did the most lovely, moving dance. So that set the standard for hula dancing in our eyes.

The following week we go to the OLL. The OLL is a first rate operation, very organized, etc etc. What I saw was a commercial production with a lot of lovely young women and men, none of which had the grace and talent we had seen in just a few minutes in Honolulu. So the dancing was a big disappointment for us. The food was ok, service was great and lots of drinking (if that is your thing). It was a lot of money and in hindsight, probably would have passed and used the evening to try yet another wonderful restaurant in Maui. But if you can seek out where you can find incredible hula dancing, do that as Carolyn suggested and find better food elsewhere afterwards. On the other hand, going to Hawaii and not going to a laua seemed crazy to me so that's why we did it and no regrets.

Well everyone who helped with my quest for a luau..we have booked the Old Lahania Luau. My husband who was so so about the whole thing, read several travel books and they all highly recommended OLL..so despite my protest for the Royal luau, we have booked OLL. We didn't get a discount

but we are going with another couple so I was outvoted for the Royal Lahania. We will have a great time I am sure. We took the seats with the tables. We couldn't sit on a mat, we are old crippled people, well we would be after sitting on a mat for a few hours. lol

I really appreciate everyones imput, Beachchick, lambs2, Tonyfred and all the others. Thankyou so much.

Thanks again. C.

Please tell us about your experience when you return!

Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone went to a LUAU and didn' enjoy it? My huband is being a brat, he feels that the appox $100.00 per peson charge is a little much. So my question is, is the luau booked thru the ship or any other worth the price.

I would like to settle this argument.

THanks,

C.:confused:

If you do not want to travel to the Old Lahaina Luau (which, by the way, was AWESOME!) then another option, depending on what days you are in Maui, is the the luau at the Maui Prince in South Maui. We actually attended the Old Lahaina Luau 2 weeks ago on our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. Then, because we were staying at the Maui Prince we actually got to watch the luau from our lanai because we were lined up right in front of the stage. The Old Lahania Luau was definatly better but the show at the Maui Prince was also very good.

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone, I am back from my cruise and I did enjoy the Old Lahaina Luau. WE all felt it was excellant. The grounds were beautiful and the food was terrific. The people were very professional. The location is by a beach, so you can see the sunset and get great photos. The show was excellant. I did speak to a couple of people who did the luau from the ship, Paradise luau, and 2 of the 3 people I asked we very dissappointed. The food was awful, not enough and not on or near a beach.

So I am happy we went to the Old Lahinia.

Thanks for all your info and ideas.

C:)

Archived