Dinner dress on Regatta

chriswat

Our experience is that people wore what we would wear to a fine restaurant at home--except that most men did not wear a sports jacket. I wore skirts or silk pants with nice tops. My husband usually wore dress pants with a silk or rayon print short sleeved shirt.

We have been looking at the Oceania brochure and notice that cruisers pictured all look pretty dressed up - satin strapless, stole etc. Any clues on what we should pack?

All those people were professional models posing as directed by the photographers. Passengers (those from the "real" world) will dress as one might expect - casual, comfortable and ready to enjoy a delightful cruise!!

On a recent 2 week Med. cruise on Regatta I felt that the Pax dressed exactly as one would define "country club casual". I'd say more than half the nights most men had on a sport jacket w/o a tie. Ladies for the most part had on pantsuits, slacks w/ nice blouses/tunic tops or casual dresses (street length or mid calf). I saw some very nice jewelry. If dining in the specialty restaurants, most made a little extra effort (sport coats for sure). For more casual dining in Tapas on the Terrace, they loosened up more. I occasionally saw shorts, some capris but mostly casual pants.

The restaurants can be cool.

My husband always travels with a jacket. Many men wear jackets with no ties to dinner. The women often seem more "dressed" than the men. I always have a jacket that can go with anything I'm wearing.

Was on Nautica in the Med in August. Weather extremely hot in Malta/Athens, yet dining rooms were all comfortable, not overly air-conditioned. Took pashminas but never needed them. Agree with previous posters that everyone adhered to "country club casual" attire. DH wore blazer but no tie in specialty restaurants, and if he saw others remove jacket, he did same. In main dining room, he was comfortable in slacks/silk shirts. Packed a tie but never wore it. Summer dresses or slacks/nice tops seemed popular with the ladies in main dining room, fancier tops and the classic "little black dress" in specialty restaurants, with some impressive "bling". My suggestion, dress as though it was "date night" at your favorite place back home and flutter your eyelashes a little. You will look fabulous!

Reference "chill" in the dining rooms - my wife and I often find ships' dining rooms and main show lounges on the cool side.

She always takes some sort of shoulder covering, and I always pack at least one cardigan sweater.

On our Regatta cruise into the Baltic 8-05, I did have a sports jacket with me, but never did wear it. I did see a few blazers in the dining room, but certainly the minority.

Our experience is that people wore what we would wear to a fine restaurant at home--except that most men did not wear a sports jacket. I wore skirts or silk pants with nice tops. My husband usually wore dress pants with a silk or rayon print short sleeved shirt.

Here in Prescott Arizona we're all pretty casual. Most people wear clean Jeans to fine restaurants here and no one looks twice. Jeans and a collared shirt is Country Club Casual in the Southwest.:)

Don't belong to a Country Club and don't know anyone who does, but around here (South Florida) we wear shorts and a collared shirt for almost everything. Lately, I've taken to Hawaiian shirts, either mild or wild depending on the situation, because I've put on a little weight and they look better when not tucked in.

Recently, we went to an upscale restaurant and I wore dark green twill trousers and a long sleeve shirt. I was grossly overdressed, to the point where I felt like people were staring at me -- sort of like wearing a suit to the beach!

I do look forward to "cleaning up" a bit on board ship, and I'll finally get some wear out of my long trousers. Somehow, I suspect I'll still sneak in the Hawaiian shirts -- I've got some neat silk ones. The worst for me is when Betsy insists we wear matching shirts; I always feel like a tourist. But, it makes her happy, and I like making her happy...;)

DSCN4870.JPG.82a47e2e779d621993d224ffafc921e7.JPG

Folks on the Western Med cruise we were on tended to do more "business casual" than country club casual. I never saw any little black dresses or bling and only saw three navy blue blazers on the men.

The only rules that were adhered to that I could determine were no jeans or shorts in any eating venue after 6:00pm.

I am not sure of what you mean by "business casual" - is this a decent long-sleeved check shirt and fawn chinos?

What are "fawn" chinos?

You certainly can wear a long sleeved shirt and "regular" chino's to dinner if you like.

Sorry to confuse things, but business casual is the term that my company used when we no longer had to wear suits and ties to work.

Long or short sleeved shirts and any color slacks would be fine on men or women. (Women can wear a skirt and blouse or dress, too.)

I used the term business casual because it doesn't require one to pack "dressy" clothing which, to my way of thinking, has somewhat limited use. Business casual clothing can be used for dinner and while touring.

Its a question of interpretation, but since the OP has limited luggage space, I wanted to try to convey that most of the people we saw on the cruise did not have stoles, heels, blazers, etc. They did not look like the folks in the brochure.

I noticed that (usually) when the men wore short sleeve shirts with collars they went without a jacket except sometimes in the specialty restaurants. When they wore short sleeve knit shirts with collars they wore jackets, at least temporarily. DH wasn't along on that cruise, but he will be on our upcoming cruise. I plan to have him bring a jacket or blazer.

Sorry to confuse things, but business casual is the term that my company used when we no longer had to wear suits and ties to work.

Long or short sleeved shirts and any color slacks would be fine on men or women. (Women can wear a skirt and blouse or dress, too.)

I used the term business casual because it doesn't require one to pack "dressy" clothing which, to my way of thinking, has somewhat limited use. Business casual clothing can be used for dinner and while touring.

Its a question of interpretation, but since the OP has limited luggage space, I wanted to try to convey that most of the people we saw on the cruise did not have stoles, heels, blazers, etc. They did not look like the folks in the brochure.

I think your last sentence covers what I originally wanted to know "they did not look like the folks in the brochure - many thanks for that - I think it has cleared up the whole matter as far as I am concerned.

Archived