Galapagos Trips

spindrift

Andrea

A follow-up on Susan's post since it sounds like you booked Celebrity's air. We went last June out of Toronto using Celebrity's air and also got the AA flights. The only difference is our YYZ/MIA flight left closer to Noon and the UIO/MIA flight coming home left at 6:40AM. The advantage of the later flight out of YYZ is a shorter layover between flights in MIA. Unless you are flying Business Class and can use AA's Admiral's Club, there is nothing to do between flights in MIA, althopugh it is a fair hike from your arrival gate to the departure gate for the UIO flight.

I booked our own air in early August at a rate of $885.60 Cdn/pp which was a significant enough savings to do it on our own. When I called Celebrity to cancel our air, the rep asked me for flight details so that they could arrange to meet us at the airport.

What about your flights from Quito to Baltra? Were you able to book those for less than the cost with Celebrity as well?

Andrea

The only difference is our YYZ/MIA flight left closer to Noon and the UIO/MIA flight coming home left at 6:40AM. The advantage of the later flight out of YYZ is a shorter layover between flights in MIA.

Hi Roland - I looked at the later flight out of YYZ, with less time in MIA ... it was very inviting, but last year when we flew to Barcelona, we had a long delay leaving Toronto which messed up our connecting flights .... I'm still suffering from the anxiety of that one :( , so allowed extra time in MIA on the trip to UIO

Our connection coming back is very short in MIA, but I don't mind a delay returning home.

What about your flights from Quito to Baltra? Were you able to book those for less than the cost with Celebrity as well?

We're doing the 10 day trip which includes the Quito to Baltra Flights .... I looked at the 7 day trip and doing all the extra arrangements on our own, but the savings didn't seem like enough and the hassle seemed like a lot (esp. arranging the Quito-Baltra flights.) We're also staying on an extra 4 nights at the Marriott in Quito, but made those arrangements on our own.

Don't even think about trying to book the Quito/Baltra flight on your own!! The Ecuadorian airline (TAME) is extremely difficult to deal with from outside the country and it really is NOT worth the hassle. Take the 10 day package and let Celebrity deal with TAME on your behalf. Celebrity has this down to a science. In all our 20+ cruises, this one was by far the easiest and least stressed transfer process, from start to finish, we have ever had!

We are booked on the 10 day trip including air. I hadn't realized that if you book for 10 or 11 days that the TAME flights were included so when people said they were doing their own air arrangements, I thought that was all of the flights.

Hi- went last Jan w/my then 20yo. son.No problem getting cocktails or wine with dinner. There was one other family with college age kids but we didn't get seated with them til the last 2 nights(were w/80+ yo couples instead). If I had it to do over I would have requested to dine with them earlier. Have fun! Meg

Are there any Canadians out there who have had success getting cancellation insurance for this trip? All the sources I have tried so far require the insurance to be bought within 48 to 72 hours of the first payment which was nearly a year ago for us. I can’t seem to get a straight answer out of Celebrity and just get bounced between them and CruiseCare. We have medical coverage through our plans at work, so I would rather get just cancellation insurance. However, if I have to get a package to get coverage, I’ll do it. The usual credit card insurance plans don’t work since they usually top out at about $3500. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We booked our flights via AA many months ago for our Nov 24 trip. Since then, the price has dropped substantially. I've called AA twice after seeing the price or our flight drop. Both times, AA credited my credit card the difference - for no extra fees. They told me they do this for international flights. I don't know if this would apply to flights originating in Canada, but you may want to check the price of your flight at http://www.aa.com. And, if it's now lower, give AA a call!

Hopefully we'll get our docs in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing more before we go!! I'm staying tuned...

We're 7 wks away from departing for this cruise. So excited. It's one of the major topics of conversation in our house.

The particular conversation leading up to this remark is lengthy and of absolutely no interest to you, but dh commented, "There are no creationists on this ship."

My question: Is he right? I would think that anyone who disputes validity of the theory of evolution would be unlikely to be interested in taking this cruise, but I'd like to hear from those who have taken it.

M/R

We're 7 wks away from departing for this cruise. So excited. It's one of the major topics of conversation in our house.

The particular conversation leading up to this remark is lengthy and of absolutely no interest to you, but dh commented, "There are no creationists on this ship."

My question: Is he right? I would think that anyone who disputes validity of the theory of evolution would be unlikely to be interested in taking this cruise, but I'd like to hear from those who have taken it.

M/R

To be honest, the topic never came up. Obviously, the theory of evolution frames a lot of what the naturalists talk about, the most obvious being the variations in the sub-species of finches from one island to the next. But I am not sure how you talk about "creation vs evolution" without getting into religion and if there is a topic I try very hard to avoid in conversations with people I have just met, it's religion. Followed very closely by politics in general and US politics in particular! This is just my opinion, but I suspect I am not alone with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Very excited about this trip. We are taking our 17 year old and 20 year old. From past Expedition cruisers; what age group of did you see most of regarding "children"? Young children, teenagers or upper teens to 21 and older? Just curious, we are not changing the plan!

Archived